| Esther 4 - Versions
| Esther 4 Text (WEB)
- Now when Mordecai found out all that was done, Mordecai tore his clothes, and put on sackcloth with ashes, and went out into the midst of the city, and wailed loudly and a bitterly.
- He came even before the king's gate, for no one is allowed inside the king's gate clothed with sackcloth.
- In every province, wherever the king's commandment and his decree came, there was great mourning among the Jews, and fasting, and weeping, and wailing; and many lay in sackcloth and ashes.
- Esther's maidens and her eunuchs came and told her this, and the queen was exceedingly grieved. She sent clothing to Mordecai, to replace his sackcloth; but he didn't receive it.
- Then Esther called for Hathach, one of the king's eunuchs, whom he had appointed to attend her, and commanded him to go to Mordecai, to find out what this was, and why it was.
- So Hathach went out to Mordecai, to city square which was before the king's gate.
- Mordecai told him of all that had happened to him, and the exact sum of the money that Haman had promised to pay to the king's treasuries for the destruction of the Jews.
- He also gave him the copy of the writing of the decree that was given out in Shushan to destroy them, to show it to Esther, and to declare it to her, and to urge her to go in to the king, to make supplication to him, and to make request before him, for her people.
- Hathach came and told Esther the words of Mordecai.
- Then Esther spoke to Hathach, and gave him a message to Mordecai:
- "All the king's servants, and the people of the king's provinces, know, that whoever, whether man or woman, comes to the king into the inner court without being called, there is one law for him, that he be put to death, except those to whom the king might hold out the golden scepter, that he may live. I have not been called to come in to the king these thirty days."
- They told to Mordecai Esther's words.
- Then Mordecai asked them return answer to Esther, "Don't think to yourself that you will escape in the king's house any more than all the Jews.
- For if you remain silent now, then relief and deliverance will come to the Jews from another place, but you and your father's house will perish. Who knows if you haven't come to the kingdom for such a time as this?"
- Then Esther asked them to answer Mordecai,
- "Go, gather together all the Jews who are present in Shushan, and fast for me, and neither eat nor drink three days, night or day. I and my maidens will also fast the same way. Then I will go in to the king, which is against the law; and if I perish, I perish."
- So Mordecai went his way, and did according to all that Esther had commanded him.
| Esther 4 Text (Hebrew)
- ומרדכי ידע את־כל־אשר נעשה ויקרע מרדכי את־בגדיו וילבש שק ואפר ויצא בתוך העיר ויזעק זעקה גדלה ומרה׃
- ויבוא עד לפני שער־המלך כי אין לבוא אל־שער המלך בלבוש שק׃
- ובכל־מדינה ומדינה מקום אשר דבר־המלך ודתו מגיע אבל גדול ליהודים וצום ובכי ומספד שק ואפר יצע לרבים׃
- נערות אסתר וסריסיה ויגידו לה ותתחלחל המלכה מאד ותשלח בגדים להלביש את־מרדכי ולהסיר שקו מעליו ולא קבל׃
- ותקרא אסתר להתך מסריסי המלך אשר העמיד לפניה ותצוהו על־מרדכי לדעת מה־זה ועל־מה־זה׃
- ויצא התך אל־מרדכי אל־רחוב העיר אשר לפני שער־המלך׃
- ויגד־לו מרדכי את כל־אשר קרהו ואת פרשת הכסף אשר אמר המן לשקול על־גנזי המלך לאבדם׃
- ואת־פתשגן כתב־הדת אשר־נתן בשושן להשמידם נתן לו להראות את־אסתר ולהגיד לה ולצוות עליה לבוא אל־המלך להתחןן־לו ולבקש מלפניו על־עמה׃
- ויבוא התך ויגד לאסתר את דברי מרדכי׃
- ותאמר אסתר להתך ותצוהו אל־מרדכי׃
- כל־עבדי המלך ועם־מדינות המלך יודעים אשר כל־איש ואשה אשר יבוא־אל־המלך אל־החצר הפנימית אשר לא־יקרא אחת דתו להמית לבד מאשר יושיט־לו המלך את־שרביט הזהב וחיה ואני לא נקראתי לבוא אל־המלך זה שלושים יום׃
- ויגידו למרדכי את דברי אסתר׃ ף
- ויאמר מרדכי להשיב אל־אסתר אל־תדמי בנפשך להמלט בית־המלך מכל־היהודים׃
- כי אם־החרש תחרישי בעת הזאת רוח והצלה יעמוד ליהודים ממקום אחר ואת ובית־אביך תאבדו ומי יודע אם־לעת כזאת הגעת למלכות׃
- ותאמר אסתר להשיב אל־מרדכי׃
- לך כנוס את־כל־היהודים הנמצאים בשושן וצומו עלי ואל־תאכלו ואל־תשתו שלשת ימים לילה ויום גם־אני ונערתי אצום כן ובכן אבוא אל־המלך אשר לא־כדת וכאשר אבדתי אבדתי׃
- ויעבר מרדכי ויעש ככל אשר־צותה עליו אסתר׃ ס
| Esther 4 Text (Latin)
- Quæ cum audisset Mardochæus, scidit vestimenta sua, et indutus est sacco, spargens cinerem capiti : et in platea mediæ civitatis voce magna clamabat, ostendens amaritudinem animi sui,
- et hoc ejulatu usque ad fores palatii gradiens. Non enim erat licitum indutum sacco aulam regis intrare.
- In omnibus quoque provinciis, oppidis, ac locis, ad quæ crudele regis dogma pervenerat, planctus ingens erat apud Judæos, jejunium, ululatus, et fletus, sacco et cinere multis pro strato utentibus.
- Ingressæ autem sunt puellæ Esther et eunuchi, nuntiaveruntque ei. Quod audiens consternata est, et vestem misit, ut ablato sacco induerent eum : quam accipere noluit.
- Accitoque Athach eunucho, quem rex ministrum ei dederat, præcepit ei ut iret ad Mardochæum, et disceret ab eo cur hoc faceret.
- Egressusque Athach, ivit ad Mardochæum stantem in platea civitatis, ante ostium palatii :
- qui indicavit ei omnia, quæ acciderant, quomodo Aman promisisset ut in thesauros regis pro Judæorum nece inferret argentum.
- Exemplar quoque edicti, quod pendebat in Susan, dedit ei, ut reginæ ostenderet, et moneret eam, ut intraret ad regem, et deprecaretur eum pro populo suo.
- Regressus Athach, nuntiavit Esther omnia, quæ Mardochæus dixerat.
- Quæ respondit ei, et jussit ut diceret Mardochæo :
- Omnes servi regis, et cunctæ, quæ sub ditione ejus sunt, norunt provinciæ, quod sive vir, sive mulier non vocatus, interius atrium regis intraverit, absque ulla cunctatione statim interficiatur : nisi forte rex auream virgam ad eum tetenderit pro signo clementiæ, atque ita possit vivere. Ego igitur quomodo ad regem intrare potero, quæ triginta jam diebus non sum vocata ad eum ?
- Quod cum audisset Mardochæus,
- rursum mandavit Esther, dicens : Ne putes quod animam tuam tantum liberes, quia in domo regis es præ cunctis Judæis :
- si enim nunc silueris, per aliam occasionem liberabuntur Judæi : et tu, et domus patris tui peribitis. Et quis novit utrum idcirco ad regnum veneris, ut in tali tempore parareris?
- Rursumque Esther hæc Mardochæo verba mandavit :
- Vade et congrega omnes Judæos, quos in Susan repereris, et orate pro me. Non comedatis, et non bibatis tribus diebus, et tribus noctibus : et ego cum ancillis meis similiter jejunabo, et tunc ingrediar ad regem contra legem faciens, non vocata, tradensque me morti et periculo.
- Ivit itaque Mardochæus, et fecit omnia, quæ ei Esther præceperat.
| Esther 4 Text (KJV)
- When Mordecai perceived all that was done, Mordecai rent his clothes, and put on sackcloth with ashes, and went out into the midst of the city, and cried with a loud and a bitter cry;
- And came even before the king's gate: for none might enter into the king's gate clothed with sackcloth.
- And in every province, whithersoever the king's commandment and his decree came, there was great mourning among the Jews, and fasting, and weeping, and wailing; and many lay in sackcloth and ashes.
- So Esther's maids and her chamberlains came and told it her. Then was the queen exceedingly grieved; and she sent raiment to clothe Mordecai, and to take away his sackcloth from him: but he received it not.
- Then called Esther for Hatach, one of the king's chamberlains, whom he had appointed to attend upon her, and gave him a commandment to Mordecai, to know what it was, and why it was.
- So Hatach went forth to Mordecai unto the street of the city, which was before the king's gate.
- And Mordecai told him of all that had happened unto him, and of the sum of the money that Haman had promised to pay to the king's treasuries for the Jews, to destroy them.
- Also he gave him the copy of the writing of the decree that was given at Shushan to destroy them, to shew it unto Esther, and to declare it unto her, and to charge her that she should go in unto the king, to make supplication unto him, and to make request before him for her people.
- And Hatach came and told Esther the words of Mordecai.
- Again Esther spake unto Hatach, and gave him commandment unto Mordecai;
- All the king's servants, and the people of the king's provinces, do know, that whosoever, whether man or woman, shall come unto the king into the inner court, who is not called, there is one law of his to put him to death, except such to whom the king shall hold out the golden sceptre, that he may live: but I have not been called to come in unto the king these thirty days.
- And they told to Mordecai Esther's words.
- Then Mordecai commanded to answer Esther, Think not with thyself that thou shalt escape in the king's house, more than all the Jews.
- For if thou altogether holdest thy peace at this time, then shall there enlargement and deliverance arise to the Jews from another place; but thou and thy father's house shall be destroyed: and who knoweth whether thou art come to the kingdom for such a time as this?
- Then Esther bade them return Mordecai this answer,
- Go, gather together all the Jews that are present in Shushan, and fast ye for me, and neither eat nor drink three days, night or day: I also and my maidens will fast likewise; and so will I go in unto the king, which is not according to the law: and if I perish, I perish.
- So Mordecai went his way, and did according to all that Esther had commanded him.