| Esther 3 - Versions
| Esther 3 Text (WEB)
- After these things King Ahasuerus promoted Haman the son of Hammedatha the Agagite, and advanced him, and set his seat above all the princes who were with him.
- All the king's servants who were in the king's gate bowed down, and paid homage to Haman; for the king had so commanded concerning him. But Mordecai didn't bow down or pay him homage.
- Then the king's servants, who were in the king's gate, said to Mordecai, "Why do you disobey the king's commandment?"
- Now it came to pass, when they spoke daily to him, and he didn't listen to them, that they told Haman, to see whether Mordecai's reason would stand; for he had told them that he was a Jew.
- When Haman saw that Mordecai didn't bow down, nor pay him homage, Haman was full of wrath.
- But he scorned the thought of laying hands on Mordecai alone, for they had made known to him Mordecai's people. Therefore Haman sought to destroy all the Jews who were throughout the whole kingdom of Ahasuerus, even Mordecai's people.
- In the first month, which is the month Nisan, in the twelfth year of King Ahasuerus, they cast Pur, that is, the lot, before Haman from day to day, and from month to month, and chose the twelfth month, which is the month Adar.
- Haman said to King Ahasuerus, "There is a certain people scattered abroad and dispersed among the peoples in all the provinces of your kingdom, and their laws are different than other people's. They don't keep the king's laws. Therefore it is not for the king's profit to allow them to remain.
- If it pleases the king, let it be written that they be destroyed; and I will pay ten thousand talents of silver into the hands of those who are in charge of the king's business, to bring it into the king's treasuries."
- The king took his ring from his hand, and gave it to Haman the son of Hammedatha the Agagite, the Jews' enemy.
- The king said to Haman, "The silver is given to you, the people also, to do with them as it seems good to you."
- Then the king's scribes were called in on the first month, on the thirteenth day of the month; and all that Haman commanded was written to the king's satraps, and to the governors who were over every province, and to the princes of every people, to every province according its writing, and to every people in their language. It was written in the name of King Ahasuerus, and it was sealed with the king's ring.
- Letters were sent by couriers into all the king's provinces, to destroy, to kill, and to cause to perish, all Jews, both young and old, little children and women, in one day, even on the thirteenth day of the twelfth month, which is the month Adar, and to plunder their possessions.
- A copy of the letter, that the decree should be given out in every province, was published to all the peoples, that they should be ready against that day.
- The couriers went forth in haste by the king's commandment, and the decree was given out in the citadel of Susa. The king and Haman sat down to drink; but the city of Shushan was perplexed.
| Esther 3 Text (Hebrew)
- אחר הדברים האלה גדל המלך אחשורוש את־המן בן־המדתא האגגי וינשאהו וישם את־כסאו מעל כל־השרים אשר אתו׃
- וכל־עבדי המלך אשר־בשער המלך כרעים ומשתחוים להמן כי־כן צוה־לו המלך ומרדכי לא יכרע ולא ישתחוה׃
- ויאמרו עבדי המלך אשר־בשער המלך למרדכי מדוע אתה עובר את מצות המלך׃
- ויהי אליו יום ויום ולא שמע אליהם ויגידו להמן לראות היעמדו דברי מרדכי כי־הגיד להם אשר־הוא יהודי׃
- וירא המן כי־אין מרדכי כרע ומשתחוה לו וימלא המן חמה׃
- ויבז בעיניו לשלח יד במרדכי לבדו כי־הגידו לו את־עם מרדכי ויבקש המן להשמיד את־כל־היהודים אשר בכל־מלכות אחשורוש עם מרדכי׃
- בחדש הראשון הוא־חדש ניסן בשנת שתים עשרה למלך אחשורוש הפיל פור הוא הגורל לפני המן מיום ליום ומחדש לחדש שנים־עשר הוא־חדש אדר׃ ס
- ויאמר המן למלך אחשורוש ישנו עם־אחד מפזר ומפרד בין העמים בכל מדינות מלכותך ודתיהם שנות מכל־עם ואת־דתי המלך אינם עשים ולמלך אין־שוה להניחם׃
- אם־על־המלך טוב יכתב לאבדם ועשרת אלפים ככר־כסף אשקול על־ידי עשי המלאכה להביא אל־גנזי המלך׃
- ויסר המלך את־טבעתו מעל ידו ויתנה להמן בן־המדתא האגגי צרר היהודים׃
- ויאמר המלך להמן הכסף נתון לך והעם לעשות בו כטוב בעיניך׃
- ויקראו ספרי המלך בחדש הראשון בשלושה עשר יום בו ויכתב ככל־אשר־צוה המן אל אחשדרפני־המלך ואל־הפחות אשר על־מדינה ומדינה ואל־שרי עם ועם מדינה ומדינה ככתבה ועם ועם כלשונו בשם המלך אחשורש נכתב ונחתם בטבעת המלך׃
- ונשלוח ספרים ביד הרצים אל־כל־מדינות המלך להשמיד להרג ולאבד את־כל־היהודים מנער ועד־זקן טף ונשים ביום אחד בשלושה עשר לחדש שנים־עשר הוא־חדש אדר ושללם לבוז׃
- פתשגן הכתב להנתן דת בכל־מדינה ומדינה גלוי לכל־העמים להיות עתדים ליום הזה׃
- הרצים יצאו דחופים בדבר המלך והדת נתנה בשושן הבירה והמלך והמן ישבו לשתות והעיר שושן נבוכה׃ ף
| Esther 3 Text (Latin)
- Post hæc rex Assuerus exaltavit Aman filium Amadathi, qui erat de stirpe Agag : et posuit solium ejus super omnes principes, quos habebat.
- Cunctique servi regis, qui in foribus palatii versabantur, flectebant genua, et adorabant Aman : sic enim præceperat eis imperator ; solus Mardochæus non flectebat genu, neque adorabat eum.
- Cui dixerunt pueri regis, qui ad fores palatii præsidebant : Cur præter ceteros non observas mandatum regis?
- Cumque hoc crebrius dicerent, et ille nollet audire, nuntiaverunt Aman, scire cupientes utrum perseveraret in sententia : dixerat enim eis se esse Judæum.
- Quod cum audisset Aman, et experimento probasset quod Mardochæus non flecteret sibi genu, nec se adoraret, iratus est valde,
- et pro nihilo duxit in unum Mardochæum mittere manus suas : audierat enim quod esset gentis Judææ ; magisque voluit omnem Judæorum, qui erant in regno Assueri, perdere nationem.
- Mense primo (cujus vocabulum est Nisan) anno duodecimo regni Assueri, missa est sors in urnam, quæ hebraice dicitur phur, coram Aman, quo die et quo mense gens Judæorum deberet interfici : et exivit mensis duodecimus, qui vocatur Adar.
- Dixitque Aman regi Assuero : Est populus per omnes provincias regni tui dispersus, et a se mutuo separatus, novis utens legibus et cæremoniis, insuper et regis scita contemnens. Et optime nosti quod non expediat regno tuo ut insolescat per licentiam.
- Si tibi placet, decerne, ut pereat, et decem millia talentorum appendam arcariis gazæ tuæ.
- Tulit ergo rex annulum, quo utebatur, de manu sua, et dedit eum Aman filio Amadathi de progenie Agag, hosti Judæorum,
- dixitque ad eum : Argentum, quod tu polliceris, tuum sit ; de populo age quod tibi placet.
- Vocatique sunt scribæ regis mense primo Nisan, tertiadecima die ejusdem mensis : et scriptum est, ut jusserat Aman, ad omnes satrapas regis, et judices provinciarum, diversarumque gentium, ut quæque gens legere poterat, et audire pro varietate linguarum ex nomine regis Assueri : et litteræ signatæ ipsius annulo,
- missæ sunt per cursores regis ad universas provincias ut occiderent atque delerent omnes Judæos, a puero usque ad senem, parvulos, et mulieres, uno die, hoc est tertiodecimo mensis duodecimi, qui vocatur Adar ; et bona eorum diriperent.
- Summa autem epistolarum hæc fuit, ut omnes provinciæ scirent, et pararent se ad prædictam diem.
- Festinabant cursores, qui missi erant, regis imperium explere. Statimque in Susan pependit edictum, rege et Aman celebrante convivium, et cunctis Judæis, qui in urbe erant, flentibus.
| Esther 3 Text (KJV)
- After these things did king Ahasuerus promote Haman the son of Hammedatha the Agagite, and advanced him, and set his seat above all the princes that were with him.
- And all the king's servants, that were in the king's gate, bowed, and reverenced Haman: for the king had so commanded concerning him. But Mordecai bowed not, nor did him reverence.
- Then the king's servants, which were in the king's gate, said unto Mordecai, Why transgressest thou the king's commandment?
- Now it came to pass, when they spake daily unto him, and he hearkened not unto them, that they told Haman, to see whether Mordecai's matters would stand: for he had told them that he was a Jew.
- And when Haman saw that Mordecai bowed not, nor did him reverence, then was Haman full of wrath.
- And he thought scorn to lay hands on Mordecai alone; for they had shewed him the people of Mordecai: wherefore Haman sought to destroy all the Jews that were throughout the whole kingdom of Ahasuerus, even the people of Mordecai.
- In the first month, that is, the month Nisan, in the twelfth year of king Ahasuerus, they cast Pur, that is, the lot, before Haman from day to day, and from month to month, to the twelfth month, that is, the month Adar.
- And Haman said unto king Ahasuerus, There is a certain people scattered abroad and dispersed among the people in all the provinces of thy kingdom; and their laws are diverse from all people; neither keep they the king's laws: therefore it is not for the king's profit to suffer them.
- If it please the king, let it be written that they may be destroyed: and I will pay ten thousand talents of silver to the hands of those that have the charge of the business, to bring it into the king's treasuries.
- And the king took his ring from his hand, and gave it unto Haman the son of Hammedatha the Agagite, the Jews' enemy.
- And the king said unto Haman, The silver is given to thee, the people also, to do with them as it seemeth good to thee.
- Then were the king's scribes called on the thirteenth day of the first month, and there was written according to all that Haman had commanded unto the king's lieutenants, and to the governors that were over every province, and to the rulers of every people of every province according to the writing thereof, and to every people after their language; in the name of king Ahasuerus was it written, and sealed with the king's ring.
- And the letters were sent by posts into all the king's provinces, to destroy, to kill, and to cause to perish, all Jews, both young and old, little children and women, in one day, even upon the thirteenth day of the twelfth month, which is the month Adar, and to take the spoil of them for a prey.
- The copy of the writing for a commandment to be given in every province was published unto all people, that they should be ready against that day.
- The posts went out, being hastened by the king's commandment, and the decree was given in Shushan the palace. And the king and Haman sat down to drink; but the city Shushan was perplexed.