| Deuteronomy 5 - Versions
| Deuteronomy 5 Text (WEB)
- Moses called to all Israel, and said to them, Hear, Israel, the statutes and the ordinances which I speak in your ears this day, that you may learn them, and observe to do them.
- Yahweh our God made a covenant with us in Horeb.
- Yahweh didn't make this covenant with our fathers, but with us, even us, who are all of us here alive this day.
- Yahweh spoke with you face to face on the mountain out of the midst of the fire,
- (I stood between Yahweh and you at that time, to show you the word of Yahweh: for you were afraid because of the fire, and didn't go up onto the mountain;) saying,
- "I am Yahweh your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
- "You shall have no other gods before me.
- "You shall not make an engraved image for yourself, [nor] any likeness [of anything] that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:
- you shall not bow down yourself to them, nor serve them; for I, Yahweh, your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, and on the third and on the fourth generation of those who hate me;
- and showing loving kindness to thousands of those who love me and keep my commandments.
- "You shall not take the name of Yahweh your God in vain: for Yahweh will not hold him guiltless who takes his name in vain.
- "Observe the Sabbath day, to keep it holy, as Yahweh your God commanded you.
- You shall labor six days, and do all your work;
- but the seventh day is a Sabbath to Yahweh your God, in which you shall not do any work, you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your ox, nor your donkey, nor any of your livestock, nor your stranger who is within your gates; that your male servant and your female servant may rest as well as you.
- You shall remember that you were a servant in the land of Egypt, and Yahweh your God brought you out of there by a mighty hand and by an outstretched arm: therefore Yahweh your God commanded you to keep the Sabbath day.
- "Honor your father and your mother, as Yahweh your God commanded you; that your days may be long, and that it may go well with you, in the land which Yahweh your God gives you.
- "You shall not murder.
- "Neither shall you commit adultery.
- "Neither shall you steal.
- "Neither shall you give false testimony against your neighbor.
- "Neither shall you covet your neighbor's wife; neither shall you desire your neighbor's house, his field, or his male servant, or his female servant, his ox, or his donkey, or anything that is your neighbor's."
- These words Yahweh spoke to all your assembly on the mountain out of the midst of the fire, of the cloud, and of the thick darkness, with a great voice: and he added no more. He wrote them on two tables of stone, and gave them to me.
- It happened, when you heard the voice out of the midst of the darkness, while the mountain was burning with fire, that you came near to me, even all the heads of your tribes, and your elders;
- and you said, "Behold, Yahweh our God has shown us his glory and his greatness, and we have heard his voice out of the midst of the fire: we have seen this day that God does speak with man, and he lives.
- Now therefore why should we die? For this great fire will consume us: if we hear the voice of Yahweh our God any more, then we shall die.
- For who is there of all flesh, that has heard the voice of the living God speaking out of the midst of the fire, as we have, and lived?
- Go near, and hear all that Yahweh our God shall say: and tell us all that Yahweh our God shall tell you; and we will hear it, and do it."
- Yahweh heard the voice of your words, when you spoke to me; and Yahweh said to me, "I have heard the voice of the words of this people, which they have spoken to you: they have well said all that they have spoken.
- Oh that there were such a heart in them, that they would fear me, and keep all my commandments always, that it might be well with them, and with their children forever!
- "Go tell them, Return to your tents.
- But as for you, stand here by me, and I will tell you all the commandment, and the statutes, and the ordinances, which you shall teach them, that they may do them in the land which I give them to possess it."
- You shall observe to do therefore as Yahweh your God has commanded you: you shall not turn aside to the right hand or to the left.
- You shall walk in all the way which Yahweh your God has commanded you, that you may live, and that it may be well with you, and that you may prolong your days in the land which you shall possess.
| Deuteronomy 5 Text (Hebrew)
- ויקרא משה אל־כל־ישראל ויאמר אלהם שמע ישראל את־החקים ואת־המשפטים אשר אנכי דבר באזניכם היום ולמדתם אתם ושמרתם לעשתם׃
- יהוה אלהינו כרת עמנו ברית בחרב׃
- לא את־אבתינו כרת יהוה את־הברית הזאת כי אתנו אנחנו אלה פה היום כלנו חיים׃
- פנים בפנים דבר יהוה עםכם בהר מתוך האש׃
- אנכי עמד בין־יהוה וביניכם בעת ההוא להגיד לכם את־דבר יהוה כי יראתם מפני האש ולא־עליתם בהר לאמר׃ ס
- אנכי יהוה אלהיך אשר הוצאתיך מארץ מצרים מבית עבדים׃
- לא יהיה־לך אלהים אחרים על־פני׃
- לא־תעשה־לך פסל כל־תמונה אשר בשמים ממעל ואשר בארץ מתחת ואשר במים מתחת לארץ׃
- לא־תשתחוה להם ולא תעבדם כי אנכי יהוה אלהיך אל קנא פקד עון אבות על־בנים ועל־שלשים ועל־רבעים לשנאי׃
- ועשה חסד לאלפים לאהבי ולשמרי ׃ ס
- לא תשא את־שם־יהוה אלהיך לשוא כי לא ינקה יהוה את אשר־ישא את־שמו לשוא׃ ס
- שמור את־יום השבת לקדשו כאשר צוך יהוה אלהיך׃
- ששת ימים תעבד ועשית כל־מלאכתך׃
- ויום השביעי שבת ליהוה אלהיך לא תעשה כל־מלאכה אתה ובנך־ובתך ועבדך־ואמתך ושורך וחמרך וכל־בהמתך וגרך אשר בשעריך למען ינוח עבדך ואמתך כמוך׃
- וזכרת כי־עבד היית בארץ מצרים ויצאך יהוה אלהיך משם ביד חזקה ובזרע נטויה על־כן צוך יהוה אלהיך לעשות את־יום השבת׃ ס
- כבד את־אביך ואת־אמך כאשר צוך יהוה אלהיך למען יאריכן ימיך ולמען ייטב לך על האדמה אשר־יהוה אלהיך נתן לך׃ ס
- לא תרצח׃ ס
- ולא תנאף׃ ס
- ולא תגנב׃ ס
- ולא־תענה ברעך עד שוא׃ ס
- ולא תחמד אשת רעך ס ולא תתאוה בית רעך שדהו ועבדו ואמתו שורו וחמרו וכל אשר לרעך׃ ס
- את־הדברים האלה דבר יהוה אל־כל־קהלכם בהר מתוך האש העןן והערפל קול גדול ולא יסף ויכתבם על־שני לחת אבנים ויתנם אלי׃
- ויהי כשמעכם את־הקול מתוך החשך וההר בער באש ותקרבון אלי כל־ראשי שבטיכם וזקניכם׃
- ותאמרו הן הראנו יהוה אלהינו את־כבדו ואת־גדלו ואת־קלו שמענו מתוך האש היום הזה ראינו כי־ידבר אלהים את־האדם וחי׃
- ועתה למה נמות כי תאכלנו האש הגדלה הזאת אם־יספים אנחנו לשמע את־קול יהוה אלהינו עוד ומתנו׃
- כי מי כל־בשר אשר שמע קול אלהים חיים מדבר מתוך־האש כמנו ויחי׃
- קרב אתה ושמע את כל־אשר יאמר יהוה אלהינו ואת תדבר אלינו את כל־אשר ידבר יהוה אלהינו אליך ושמענו ועשינו׃
- וישמע יהוה את־קול דבריכם בדברכם אלי ויאמר יהוה אלי שמעתי את־קול דברי העם הזה אשר דברו אליך היטיבו כל־אשר דברו׃
- מי־יתן והיה לבבם זה להם ליראה אתי ולשמר את־כל־מצותי כל־הימים למען ייטב להם ולבניהם לעלם׃
- לך אמר להם שובו לכם לאהליכם׃
- ואתה פה עמד עמדי ואדברה אליך את כל־המצוה והחקים והמשפטים אשר תלמדם ועשו בארץ אשר אנכי נתן להם לרשתה׃
- ושמרתם לעשות כאשר צוה יהוה אלהיכם אתכם לא תסרו ימין ושמאל׃
- בכל־הדרך אשר צוה יהוה אלהיכם אתכם תלכו למען תחיון וטוב לכם והארכתם ימים בארץ אשר תירשון׃
| Deuteronomy 5 Text (Latin)
- Vocavitque Moyses omnem Israëlem, et dixit ad eum : Audi, Israël, cæremonias atque judicia, quæ ego loquor in auribus vestris hodie : discite ea, et opere complete.
- Dominus Deus noster pepigit nobiscum fœdus in Horeb.
- Non cum patribus nostris iniit pactum, sed nobiscum qui in præsentiarum sumus, et vivimus.
- Facie ad faciem locutus est nobis in monte de medio ignis.
- Ego sequester et medius fui inter Dominum et vos in tempore illo, ut annuntiarem vobis verba ejus : timuistis enim ignem, et non ascendistis in montem. Et ait :
- Ego Dominus Deus tuus, qui eduxi te de terra Ægypti, de domo servitutis.
- Non habebis deos alienos in conspectu meo.
- Non facies tibi sculptile, nec similitudinem omnium, quæ in cælo sunt desuper, et quæ in terra deorsum, et quæ versantur in aquis sub terra.
- Non adorabis ea, et non coles. Ego enim sum Dominus Deus tuus : Deus æmulator, reddens iniquitatem patrum super filios in tertiam et quartam generationem his qui oderunt me :
- et faciens misericordiam in multa millia diligentibus me, et custodientibus præcepta mea.
- Non usurpabis nomen Domini Dei tui frustra : quia non erit impunitus qui super re vana nomen ejus assumpserit.
- Observa diem sabbati, ut sanctifices eum, sicut præcepit tibi Dominus Deus tuus.
- Sex diebus operaberis, et facies omnia opera tua.
- Septimus dies sabbati est, id est, requies Domini Dei tui. Non facies in eo quidquam operis tu, et filius tuus, et filia, servus et ancilla, et bos, et asinus, et omne jumentum tuum, et peregrinus qui est intra portas tuas : ut requiescat servus tuus, et ancilla tua, sicut et tu.
- Memento quod et ipse servieris in Ægypto, et eduxerit te inde Dominus Deus tuus in manu forti, et brachio extento. Idcirco præcepit tibi ut observares diem sabbati.
- Honora patrem tuum et matrem, sicut præcepit tibi Dominus Deus tuus, ut longo vivas tempore, et bene sit tibi in terra, quam Dominus Deus tuus daturus est tibi.
- Non occides,
- neque mœchaberis,
- furtumque non facies :
- nec loqueris contra proximum tuum falsum testimonium.
- Non concupisces uxorem proximi tui : non domum, non agrum, non servum, non ancillam, non bovem, non asinum, et universa quæ illius sunt.
- Hæc verba locutus est Dominus ad omnem multitudinem vestram in monte de medio ignis et nubis, et caliginis, voce magna, nihil addens amplius : et scripsit ea in duabus tabulis lapideis, quas tradidit mihi.
- Vos autem postquam audistis vocem de medio tenebrarum, et montem ardere vidistis, accessistis ad me omnes principes tribuum et majores natu, atque dixistis :
- Ecce ostendit nobis Dominus Deus noster majestatem et magnitudinem suam : vocem ejus audivimus de medio ignis, et probavimus hodie, quod loquente Deo cum homine, vixerit homo.
- Cur ergo moriemur, et devorabit nos ignis hic maximus ? si enim audierimus ultra vocem Domini Dei nostri, moriemur.
- Quid est omnis caro, ut audiat vocem Dei viventis, qui de medio ignis loquitur sicut nos audivimus, et possit vivere ?
- Tu magis accede : et audi cuncta quæ dixerit Dominus Deus noster tibi : loquerisque ad nos, et nos audientes faciemus ea.
- Quod cum audisset Dominus, ait ad me : Audivi vocem verborum populi hujus quæ locuti sunt tibi : bene omnia sunt locuti.
- Quis det talem eos habere mentem, ut timeant me, et custodiant universa mandata mea in omni tempore, ut bene sit eis et filiis eorum in sempiternum ?
- Vade et dic eis : Revertimini in tentoria vestra.
- Tu vero hic sta mecum, et loquar tibi omnia mandata mea, et cæremonias atque judicia : quæ docebis eos, ut faciant ea in terra, quam dabo illis in possessionem.
- Custodite igitur et facite quæ præcepit Dominus Deus vobis : non declinabitis neque ad dexteram, neque ad sinistram :
- sed per viam, quam præcepit Dominus Deus vester, ambulabitis, ut vivatis, et bene sit vobis, et protelentur dies in terra possessionis vestræ.
| Deuteronomy 5 Text (KJV)
- And Moses called all Israel, and said unto them, Hear, O Israel, the statutes and judgments which I speak in your ears this day, that ye may learn them, and keep, and do them.
- The LORD our God made a covenant with us in Horeb.
- The LORD made not this covenant with our fathers, but with us, even us, who are all of us here alive this day.
- The LORD talked with you face to face in the mount out of the midst of the fire,
- (I stood between the LORD and you at that time, to shew you the work of the LORD: for ye were afraid by reason of the fire, and went not up into the mount;) saying,
- I am the LORD thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage.
- Thou shalt have none other gods before me.
- Thou shalt not make thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the waters beneath the earth:
- Thou shalt not bow down thyself unto them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me,
- And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me and keep my commandments.
- Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain: for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.
- Keep the sabbath day to sanctify it, as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee.
- Six days thou shalt labour, and do all thy work:
- But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, nor thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thine ox, nor thine ass, nor any of thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates; that thy manservant and thy maidservant may rest as well as thou.
- And remember that thou wast a servant in the land of Egypt, and that the LORD thy God brought thee out thence through a mighty hand and by a stretched out arm: therefore the LORD thy God commanded thee to keep the sabbath day.
- Honour thy father and thy mother, as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee; that thy days may be prolonged, and that it may go well with thee, in the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.
- Thou shalt not kill.
- Neither shalt thou commit adultery.
- Neither shalt thou steal.
- Neither shalt thou bear false witness against thy neighbour.
- Neither shalt thou desire thy neighbour's wife, neither shalt thou covet thy neighbour's house, his field, or his manservant, or his maidservant, his ox, or his ass, or any thing that is thy neighbour's.
- These words the LORD spake unto all your assembly in the mount out of the midst of the fire, of the cloud, and of the thick darkness, with a great voice: and he added no more. And he wrote them in two tables of stone, and delivered them unto me.
- And it came to pass, when ye heard the voice out of the midst of the darkness, (for the mountain did burn with fire,) that ye came near unto me, even all the heads of your tribes, and your elders;
- And ye said, Behold, the LORD our God hath shewed us his glory and his greatness, and we have heard his voice out of the midst of the fire: we have seen this day that God doth talk with man, and he liveth.
- Now therefore why should we die? for this great fire will consume us: if we hear the voice of the LORD our God any more, then we shall die.
- For who is there of all flesh, that hath heard the voice of the living God speaking out of the midst of the fire, as we have, and lived?
- Go thou near, and hear all that the LORD our God shall say: and speak thou unto us all that the LORD our God shall speak unto thee; and we will hear it, and do it.
- And the LORD heard the voice of your words, when ye spake unto me; and the LORD said unto me, I have heard the voice of the words of this people, which they have spoken unto thee: they have well said all that they have spoken.
- O that there were such an heart in them, that they would fear me, and keep all my commandments always, that it might be well with them, and with their children for ever!
- Go say to them, Get you into your tents again.
- But as for thee, stand thou here by me, and I will speak unto thee all the commandments, and the statutes, and the judgments, which thou shalt teach them, that they may do them in the land which I give them to possess it.
- Ye shall observe to do therefore as the LORD your God hath commanded you: ye shall not turn aside to the right hand or to the left.
- Ye shall walk in all the ways which the LORD your God hath commanded you, that ye may live, and that it may be well with you, and that ye may prolong your days in the land which ye shall possess.