| Deuteronomy 21 - Versions
| Deuteronomy 21 Text (WEB)
- If one be found slain in the land which Yahweh your God gives you to possess it, lying in the field, and it isn't known who has struck him;
- then your elders and your judges shall come forth, and they shall measure to the cities which are around him who is slain:
- and it shall be, that the city which is nearest to the slain man, even the elders of that city shall take a heifer of the herd, which hasn't been worked with, and which has not drawn in the yoke;
- and the elders of that city shall bring down the heifer to a valley with running water, which is neither plowed nor sown, and shall break the heifer's neck there in the valley.
- The priests the sons of Levi shall come near; for them Yahweh your God has chosen to minister to him, and to bless in the name of Yahweh; and according to their word shall every controversy and every stroke be.
- All the elders of that city, who are nearest to the slain man, shall wash their hands over the heifer whose neck was broken in the valley;
- and they shall answer and say, "Our hands have not shed this blood, neither have our eyes seen it.
- Forgive, Yahweh, your people Israel, whom you have redeemed, and don't allow innocent blood [to remain] in the midst of your people Israel." The blood shall be forgiven them.
- So you shall put away the innocent blood from the midst of you, when you shall do that which is right in the eyes of Yahweh.
- When you go forth to battle against your enemies, and Yahweh your God delivers them into your hands, and you carry them away captive,
- and see among the captives a beautiful woman, and you have a desire to her, and would take her to you as wife;
- then you shall bring her home to your house; and she shall shave her head, and pare her nails;
- and she shall put the clothing of her captivity from off her, and shall remain in your house, and bewail her father and her mother a full month: and after that you shall go in to her, and be her husband, and she shall be your wife.
- It shall be, if you have no delight in her, then you shall let her go where she will; but you shall not sell her at all for money, you shall not deal with her as a slave, because you have humbled her.
- If a man have two wives, the one beloved, and the other hated, and they have borne him children, both the beloved and the hated; and if the firstborn son be hers who was hated;
- then it shall be, in the day that he causes his sons to inherit that which he has, that he may not make the son of the beloved the firstborn before the son of the hated, who is the firstborn:
- but he shall acknowledge the firstborn, the son of the hated, by giving him a double portion of all that he has; for he is the beginning of his strength; the right of the firstborn is his.
- If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, who will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and, though they chasten him, will not listen to them;
- then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out to the elders of his city, and to the gate of his place;
- and they shall tell the elders of his city, "This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard."
- All the men of his city shall stone him to death with stones: so you shall put away the evil from the midst of you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear.
- If a man have committed a sin worthy of death, and he be put to death, and you hang him on a tree;
- his body shall not remain all night on the tree, but you shall surely bury him the same day; for he who is hanged is accursed of God; that you don't defile your land which Yahweh your God gives you for an inheritance.
| Deuteronomy 21 Text (Hebrew)
- כי־ימצא חלל באדמה אשר יהוה אלהיך נתן לך לרשתה נפל בשדה לא נודע מי הכהו׃
- ויצאו זקניך ושפטיך ומדדו אל־הערים אשר סביבת החלל׃
- והיה העיר הקרבה אל־החלל ולקחו זקני העיר ההוא עגלת בקר אשר לא־עבד בה אשר לא־משכה בעל׃
- והורדו זקני העיר ההוא את־העגלה אל־נחל איתן אשר לא־יעבד בו ולא יזרע וערפו־שם את־העגלה בנחל׃
- ונגשו הכהנים בני לוי כי בם בחר יהוה אלהיך לשרתו ולברך בשם יהוה ועל־פיהם יהיה כל־ריב וכל־נגע׃
- וכל זקני העיר ההוא הקרבים אל־החלל ירחצו את־ידיהם על־העגלה הערופה בנחל׃
- וענו ואמרו ידינו לא את־הדם הזה ועינינו לא ראו׃
- כפר לעמך ישראל אשר־פדית יהוה ואל־תתן דם נקי בקרב עמך ישראל ונכפר להם הדם׃
- ואתה תבער הדם הנקי מקרבך כי־תעשה הישר בעיני יהוה׃ ס
- כי־תצא למלחמה על־איביך ונתנו יהוה אלהיך בידך ושבית שביו׃
- וראית בשביה אשת יפת־תאר וחשקת בה ולקחת לך לאשה׃
- והבאתה אל־תוך ביתך וגלחה את־ראשה ועשתה את־צפרניה׃
- והסירה את־שמלת שביה מעליה וישבה בביתך ובכתה את־אביה ואת־אמה ירח ימים ואחר כן תבוא אליה ובעלתה והיתה לך לאשה׃
- והיה אם־לא חפצת בה ושלחתה לנפשה ומכר לא־תמכרנה בכסף לא־תתעמר בה תחת אשר עניתה׃ ס
- כי־תהיין לאיש שתי נשים האחת אהובה והאחת שנואה וילדו־לו בנים האהובה והשנואה והיה הבן הבכור לשניאה׃
- והיה ביום הנחילו את־בניו את אשר־יהיה לו לא יוכל לבכר את־בן־האהובה על־פני בן־השנואה הבכר׃
- כי את־הבכר בן־השנואה יכיר לתת לו פי שנים בכל אשר־ימצא לו כי־הוא ראשית אנו לו משפט הבכרה׃ ס
- כי־יהיה לאיש בן סורר ומורה איננו שמע בקול אביו ובקול אמו ויסרו אתו ולא ישמע אליהם׃
- ותפשו בו אביו ואמו והוציאו אתו אל־זקני עירו ואל־שער מקמו׃
- ואמרו אל־זקני עירו בננו זה סורר ומרה איננו שמע בקלנו זולל וסבא׃
- ורגמהו כל־אנשי עירו באבנים ומת ובערת הרע מקרבך וכל־ישראל ישמעו ויראו׃ ס
- וכי־יהיה באיש חטא משפט־מות והומת ותלית אתו על־עץ׃
- לא־תלין נבלתו על־העץ כי־קבור תקברנו ביום ההוא כי־קללת אלהים תלוי ולא תטמא את־אדמתך אשר יהוה אלהיך נתן לך נחלה׃ ס
| Deuteronomy 21 Text (Latin)
- Quando inventum fuerit in terra, quam Dominus Deus tuus daturus est tibi, hominis cadaver occisi, et ignorabitur cædis reus,
- egredientur majores natu, et judices tui, et metientur a loco cadaveris singularum per circuitum spatia civitatum :
- et quam viciniorem ceteris esse perspexerint, seniores civitatis illius tollent vitulam de armento, quæ non traxit jugum, nec terram scidit vomere,
- et ducent eam ad vallem asperam atque saxosam, quæ numquam arata est, nec sementem recepit : et cædent in ea cervices vitulæ :
- accedentque sacerdotes filii Levi, quos elegerit Dominus Deus tuus ut ministrent ei, et benedicant in nomine ejus, et ad verbum eorum omne negotium, et quidquid mundum, vel immundum est, judicetur.
- Et venient majores natu civitatis illius ad interfectum, lavabuntque manus suas super vitulam, quæ in valle percussa est,
- et dicent : Manus nostræ non effuderunt sanguinem hunc, nec oculi viderunt :
- propitius esto populo tuo Israël, quem redemisti, Domine, et ne reputes sanguinem innocentem in medio populi tui Israël. Et auferetur ab eis reatus sanguinis :
- tu autem alienus eris ab innocentis cruore, qui fusus est, cum feceris quod præcepit Dominus.
- Si egressus fueris ad pugnam contra inimicos tuos, et tradiderit eos Dominus Deus tuus in manu tua, captivosque duxeris,
- et videris in numero captivorum mulierem pulchram, et adamaveris eam, voluerisque habere uxorem,
- introduces eam in domum tuam : quæ radet cæsariem, et circumcidet ungues,
- et deponet vestem, in qua capta est : sedensque in domo tua, flebit patrem et matrem suam uno mense : et postea intrabis ad eam, dormiesque cum illa, et erit uxor tua.
- Si autem postea non sederit animo tuo, dimittes eam liberam, nec vendere poteris pecunia, nec opprimere per potentiam : quia humiliasti eam.
- Si habuerit homo uxores duas, unam dilectam, et alteram odiosam, genuerintque ex eo liberos, et fuerit filius odiosæ primogenitus,
- volueritque substantiam inter filios suos dividere, non poterit filium dilectæ facere primogenitum, et præferre filio odiosæ :
- sed filium odiosæ agnoscet primogenitum, dabitque ei de his quæ habuerit cuncta duplicia : iste est enim principium liberorum ejus, et huic debentur primogenita.
- Si genuerit homo filium contumacem et protervum, qui non audiat patris aut matris imperium, et coërcitus obedire contempserit :
- apprehendent eum, et ducent ad seniores civitatis illius, et ad portam judicii,
- dicentque ad eos : Filius noster iste protervus et contumax est : monita nostra audire contemnit, comessationibus vacat, et luxuriæ atque conviviis :
- lapidibus eum obruet populus civitatis, et morietur, ut auferatis malum de medio vestri, et universus Israël audiens pertimescat.
- Quando peccaverit homo quod morte plectendum est, et adjudicatus morti appensus fuerit in patibulo :
- non permanebit cadaver ejus in ligno, sed in eadem die sepelietur : quia maledictus a Deo est qui pendet in ligno : et nequaquam contaminabis terram tuam, quam Dominus Deus tuus dederit tibi in possessionem.
| Deuteronomy 21 Text (KJV)
- If one be found slain in the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee to possess it, lying in the field, and it be not known who hath slain him:
- Then thy elders and thy judges shall come forth, and they shall measure unto the cities which are round about him that is slain:
- And it shall be, that the city which is next unto the slain man, even the elders of that city shall take an heifer, which hath not been wrought with, and which hath not drawn in the yoke;
- And the elders of that city shall bring down the heifer unto a rough valley, which is neither eared nor sown, and shall strike off the heifer's neck there in the valley:
- And the priests the sons of Levi shall come near; for them the LORD thy God hath chosen to minister unto him, and to bless in the name of the LORD; and by their word shall every controversy and every stroke be tried:
- And all the elders of that city, that are next unto the slain man, shall wash their hands over the heifer that is beheaded in the valley:
- And they shall answer and say, Our hands have not shed this blood, neither have our eyes seen it.
- Be merciful, O LORD, unto thy people Israel, whom thou hast redeemed, and lay not innocent blood unto thy people of Israel's charge. And the blood shall be forgiven them.
- So shalt thou put away the guilt of innocent blood from among you, when thou shalt do that which is right in the sight of the LORD.
- When thou goest forth to war against thine enemies, and the LORD thy God hath delivered them into thine hands, and thou hast taken them captive,
- And seest among the captives a beautiful woman, and hast a desire unto her, that thou wouldest have her to thy wife;
- Then thou shalt bring her home to thine house; and she shall shave her head, and pare her nails;
- And she shall put the raiment of her captivity from off her, and shall remain in thine house, and bewail her father and her mother a full month: and after that thou shalt go in unto her, and be her husband, and she shall be thy wife.
- And it shall be, if thou have no delight in her, then thou shalt let her go whither she will; but thou shalt not sell her at all for money, thou shalt not make merchandise of her, because thou hast humbled her.
- If a man have two wives, one beloved, and another hated, and they have born him children, both the beloved and the hated; and if the firstborn son be hers that was hated:
- Then it shall be, when he maketh his sons to inherit that which he hath, that he may not make the son of the beloved firstborn before the son of the hated, which is indeed the firstborn:
- But he shall acknowledge the son of the hated for the firstborn, by giving him a double portion of all that he hath: for he is the beginning of his strength; the right of the firstborn is his.
- If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them:
- Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place;
- And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard.
- And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear.
- And if a man have committed a sin worthy of death, and he be to be put to death, and thou hang him on a tree:
- His body shall not remain all night upon the tree, but thou shalt in any wise bury him that day; (for he that is hanged is accursed of God;) that thy land be not defiled, which the LORD thy God giveth thee for an inheritance.