| 2 Kings 11 - Versions
| 2 Kings 11 Text (WEB)
- Now when Athaliah the mother of Ahaziah saw that her son was dead, she arose and destroyed all the seed royal.
- But Jehosheba, the daughter of king Joram, sister of Ahaziah, took Joash the son of Ahaziah, and stole him away from among the king's sons who were slain, even him and his nurse, [and put them] in the bedroom; and they hid him from Athaliah, so that he was not slain;
- He was with her hidden in the house of Yahweh six years. Athaliah reigned over the land.
- In the seventh year Jehoiada sent and fetched the captains over hundreds of the Carites and of the guard, and brought them to him into the house of Yahweh; and he made a covenant with them, and took an oath of them in the house of Yahweh, and showed them the king's son.
- He commanded them, saying, "This is the thing that you shall do: a third part of you, who come in on the Sabbath, shall be keepers of the watch of the king's house;
- A third part shall be at the gate Sur; and a third part at the gate behind the guard. So you shall keep the watch of the house, and be a barrier.
- The two companies of you, even all who go out on the Sabbath, shall keep the watch of the house of Yahweh around the king.
- You shall surround the king, every man with his weapons in his hand; and he who comes within the ranks, let him be slain. Be with the king when he goes out, and when he comes in."
- The captains over hundreds did according to all that Jehoiada the priest commanded; and they took every man his men, those who were to come in on the Sabbath, with those who were to go out on the Sabbath, and came to Jehoiada the priest.
- The priest delivered to the captains over hundreds the spears and shields that had been king David's, which were in the house of Yahweh.
- The guard stood, every man with his weapons in his hand, from the right side of the house to the left side of the house, along by the altar and the house, around the king.
- Then he brought out the king's son, and put the crown on him, and [gave him] the testimony; and they made him king, and anointed him; and they clapped their hands, and said, "Long live the king!"
- When Athaliah heard the noise of the guard [and of] the people, she came to the people into the house of Yahweh:
- and she looked, and behold, the king stood by the pillar, as the tradition was, and the captains and the trumpets by the king; and all the people of the land rejoiced, and blew trumpets. Then Athaliah tore her clothes, and cried, "Treason! Treason!"
- Jehoiada the priest commanded the captains of hundreds who were set over the army, and said to them, "Bring her out between the ranks. Kill him who follows her with the sword." For the priest said, "Don't let her be slain in the house of Yahweh."
- So they made way for her; and she went by the way of the horses' entry to the king's house. She was slain there.
- Jehoiada made a covenant between Yahweh and the king and the people, that they should be Yahweh's people; between the king also and the people.
- All the people of the land went to the house of Baal, and broke it down; his altars and his images broke they in pieces thoroughly, and killed Mattan the priest of Baal before the altars. The priest appointed officers over the house of Yahweh.
- He took the captains over hundreds, and the Carites, and the guard, and all the people of the land; and they brought down the king from the house of Yahweh, and came by the way of the gate of the guard to the king's house. He sat on the throne of the kings.
- So all the people of the land rejoiced, and the city was quiet. Athaliah they had slain with the sword at the king's house.
- Jehoash was seven years old when he began to reign.
| 2 Kings 11 Text (Hebrew)
- ועתליה אם אחזיהו כי מת בנה ותקם ותאבד את כל־זרע הממלכה׃
- ותקח יהושבע בת־המלך־יורם אחות אחזיהו את־יואש בן־אחזיה ותגנב אתו מתוך בני־המלך אתו ואת־מינקתו בחדר המטות ויסתרו אתו מפני עתליהו ולא הומת׃
- ויהי אתה בית יהוה מתחבא שש שנים ועתליה מלכת על־הארץ׃ ף
- ובשנה השביעית שלח יהוידע ויקח את־שרי לכרי ולרצים ויבא אתם אליו בית יהוה ויכרת להם ברית וישבע אתם בבית יהוה וירא אתם את־בן־המלך׃
- ויצום לאמר זה הדבר אשר תעשון השלשית םכם באי השבת ושמרי משמרת בית המלך׃
- והשלשית בשער סור והשלשית בשער אחר הרצים ושמרתם את־משמרת הבית מסח׃
- ושתי הידות בכם כל יצאי השבת ושמרו את־משמרת בית־יהוה אל־המלך׃
- והקפתם על־המלך סביב איש וכליו בידו והבא אל־השדרות יומת והיו את־המלך בצאתו ובבאו׃
- ויעשו שרי ככל אשר־צוה יהוידע הכהן ויקחו איש את־אנשיו באי השבת עם יצאי השבת ויבאו אל־יהוידע הכהן׃
- ויתן הכהן לשרי את־החנית ואת־השלטים אשר למלך דוד אשר בבית יהוה׃
- ויעמדו הרצים איש וכליו בידו מכתף הבית הימנית עד־כתף הבית השמאלית למזבח ולבית על־המלך סביב׃
- ויוצא את־בן־המלך ויתן עליו את־הנזר ואת־העדות וימלכו אתו וימשחהו ויכו־כף ויאמרו יחי המלך׃ ס
- ותשמע עתליה את־קול הרצין העם ותבא אל־העם בית יהוה׃
- ותרא והנה המלך עמד על־העמוד כמשפט והשרים והחצצרות אל־המלך וכל־עם הארץ שמח ותקע בחצצרות ותקרע עתליה את־בגדיה ותקרא קשר קשר׃ ס
- ויצו יהוידע הכהן את־שרי פקדי החיל ויאמר אליהם הוציאו אתה אל־מבית לשדרת והבא אחריה המת בחרב כי אמר הכהן אל־תומת בית יהוה׃
- וישמו לה ידים ותבוא דרך־מבוא הסוסים בית המלך ותומת שם׃ ס
- ויכרת יהוידע את־הברית בין יהוה ובין המלך ובין העם להיות לעם ליהוה ובין המלך ובין העם׃
- ויבאו כל־עם הארץ בית־הבעל ויתצהו את־ ואת־צלמיו שברו היטב ואת מתן כהן הבעל הרגו לפני המזבחות וישם הכהן פקדות על־בית יהוה׃
- ויקח את־שרי המאות ואת־הכרי ואת־הרצים ואת כל־עם הארץ וירידו את־המלך מבית יהוה ויבואו דרך־שער הרצים בית המלך וישב על־כסא המלכים׃
- וישמח כל־עם־הארץ והעיר שקטה ואת־עתליהו המיתו בחרב בית ׃ ס
- בן־שבע שנים יהואש במלכו׃ ף
| 2 Kings 11 Text (Latin)
- Athalia vero mater Ochoziæ, videns mortuum filium suum, surrexit, et interfecit omne semen regium.
- Tollens autem Josaba filia regis Joram, soror Ochoziæ, Joas filium Ochoziæ, furata est eum de medio filiorum regis, qui interficiebantur, et nutricem ejus de triclinio : et abscondit eum a facie Athaliæ ut non interficeretur.
- Eratque cum ea sex annis clam in domo Domini : porro Athalia regnavit super terram.
- Anno autem septimo misit Jojada, et assumens centuriones et milites, introduxit ad se in templum Domini, pepigitque cum eis fœdus : et adjurans eos in domo Domini, ostendit eis filium regis :
- et præcepit illis, dicens : Iste est sermo, quem facere debetis :
- tertia pars vestrum introëat sabbato, et observet excubias domus regis. Tertia autem pars sit ad portam Sur, et tertia pars sit ad portam, quæ est post habitaculum scutariorum : et custodietis excubias domus Messa.
- Duæ vero partes e vobis, omnes egredientes sabbato, custodiant excubias domus Domini circa regem.
- Et vallabitis eum, habentes arma in manibus vestris : si quis autem ingressus fuerit septum templi, interficiatur : eritisque cum rege introëunte et egrediente.
- Et fecerunt centuriones juxta omnia quæ præceperat eis Jojada sacerdos : et assumentes singuli viros suos, qui ingrediebantur sabbato, cum his qui egrediebantur sabbato, venerunt ad Jojadam sacerdotem.
- Qui dedit eis hastas, et arma regis David, quæ erant in domo Domini.
- Et steterunt singuli habentes arma in manu sua a parte templi dextera, usque ad partem sinistram altaris, et ædis, circum regem.
- Produxitque filium regis, et posuit super eum diadema, et testimonium : feceruntque eum regem, et unxerunt : et plaudentes manu, dixerunt : Vivat rex.
- Audivit autem Athalia vocem populi currentis : et ingressa ad turbas in templum Domini,
- vidit regem stantem super tribunal juxta morem, et cantores, et tubas prope eum, omnemque populum terræ lætantem, et canentem tubis : et scidit vestimenta sua, clamavitque : Conjuratio, conjuratio.
- Præcepit autem Jojada centurionibus, qui erant super exercitum, et ait eis : Educite eam extra septa templi, et quicumque eam secutus fuerit, feriatur gladio. Dixerat enim sacerdos : Non occidatur in templo Domini.
- Imposueruntque ei manus, et impegerunt eam per viam introitus equorum, juxta palatium, et interfecta est ibi.
- Pepigit ergo Jojada fœdus inter Dominum, et inter regem, et inter populum, ut esset populus Domini, et inter regem et populum.
- Ingressusque est omnis populus terræ templum Baal, et destruxerunt aras ejus, et imagines contriverunt valide : Mathan quoque sacerdotem Baal occiderunt coram altari. Et posuit sacerdos custodias in domo Domini.
- Tulitque centuriones, et Cerethi et Phelethi legiones, et omnem populum terræ, deduxeruntque regem de domo Domini : et venerunt per viam portæ scutariorum in palatium, et sedit super thronum regum.
- Lætatusque est omnis populus terræ, et civitas conquievit : Athalia autem occisa est gladio in domo regis.
- Septemque annorum erat Joas, cum regnare cœpisset.
| 2 Kings 11 Text (KJV)
- And when Athaliah the mother of Ahaziah saw that her son was dead, she arose and destroyed all the seed royal.
- But Jehosheba, the daughter of king Joram, sister of Ahaziah, took Joash the son of Ahaziah and stole him from among the king's sons which were slain; and they hid him, even him and his nurse, in the bedchamber from Athaliah, so that he was not slain.
- And he was with her hid in the house of the LORD six years. And Athaliah did reign over the land.
- And the seventh year Jehoiada sent and fetched the rulers over hundreds, with the captains and the guard, and brought them to him into the house of the LORD, and made a covenant with them, and took an oath of them in the house of the LORD, and shewed them the king's son.
- And he commanded them, saying, This is the thing that ye shall do; A third part of you that enter in on the sabbath shall even be keepers of the watch of the king's house;
- And a third part shall be at the gate of Sur; and a third part at the gate behind the guard: so shall ye keep the watch of the house, that it be not broken down.
- And two parts of all you that go forth on the sabbath, even they shall keep the watch of the house of the LORD about the king.
- And ye shall compass the king around about, every man with his weapons in his hand: and he that cometh within the ranges, let him be slain: and be ye with the king as he goeth out and as he cometh in.
- And the captains over the hundreds did according to all things that Jehoiada the priest commanded: and they took every man his men that were to come in on the sabbath, with them that should go out on the sabbath, and came to Jehoiada the priest.
- And to the captains over hundreds did the priest give king David's spears and shields, that were in the temple of the LORD.
- And the guard stood, every man with his weapons in his hand, round about the king, from the right corner of the temple to the left corner of the temple, along by the altar and the temple.
- And he brought forth the king's son, and put the crown upon him, and gave him the testimony; and they made him king, and anointed him; and they clapped their hands, and said, God save the king.
- And when Athaliah heard the noise of the guard and of the people, she came to the people into the temple of the LORD.
- And when she looked, behold, the king stood by a pillar, as the manner was, and the princes and the trumpeters by the king, and all the people of the land rejoiced, and blew with trumpets: and Athaliah rent her clothes, and cried, Treason, Treason.
- But Jehoiada the priest commanded the captains of the hundreds, the officers of the host, and said unto them, Have her forth without the ranges: and him that followeth her kill with the sword. For the priest had said, Let her not be slain in the house of the LORD.
- And they laid hands on her; and she went by the way by the which the horses came into the king's house: and there was she slain.
- And Jehoiada made a covenant between the LORD and the king and the people that they should be the LORD's people; between the king also and the people.
- And all the people of the land went into the house of Baal, and brake it down; his altars and his images brake they in pieces thoroughly, and slew Mattan the priest of Baal before the altars. And the priest appointed officers over the house of the LORD.
- And he took the rulers over hundreds, and the captains, and the guard, and all the people of the land; and they brought down the king from the house of the LORD, and came by the way of the gate of the guard to the king's house. And he sat on the throne of the kings.
- And all the people of the land rejoiced, and the city was in quiet: and they slew Athaliah with the sword beside the king's house.
- Seven years old was Jehoash when he began to reign.