| 2 Kings 10 - Versions
| 2 Kings 10 Text (WEB)
- Now Ahab had seventy sons in Samaria. Jehu wrote letters, and sent to Samaria, to the rulers of Jezreel, even the elders, and to those who brought up [the sons of] Ahab, saying,
- "Now as soon as this letter comes to you, since your master's sons are with you, and there are with you chariots and horses, a fortified city also, and armor.
- Select the best and fittest of your master's sons, set him on his father's throne, and fight for your master's house."
- But they were exceedingly afraid, and said, "Behold, the two kings didn't stand before him! How then shall we stand?"
- He who was over the household, and he who was over the city, the elders also, and those who raised the children, sent to Jehu, saying, "We are your servants, and will do all that you ask us. We will not make any man king. You do that which is good in your eyes."
- Then he wrote a letter the second time to them, saying, "If you are on my side, and if you will listen to my voice, take the heads of the men your master's sons, and come to me to Jezreel by tomorrow this time." Now the king's sons, being seventy persons, were with the great men of the city, who brought them up.
- It happened, when the letter came to them, that they took the king's sons, and killed them, even seventy persons, and put their heads in baskets, and sent them to him to Jezreel.
- A messenger came, and told him, "They have brought the heads of the king's sons." He said, "Lay them in two heaps at the entrance of the gate until the morning."
- It happened in the morning, that he went out, and stood, and said to all the people, "You are righteous. Behold, I conspired against my master, and killed him; but who struck all these?
- Know now that nothing shall fall to the earth of the word of Yahweh, which Yahweh spoke concerning the house of Ahab. For Yahweh has done that which he spoke by his servant Elijah."
- So Jehu struck all that remained of the house of Ahab in Jezreel, with all his great men, his familiar friends, and his priests, until he left him none remaining.
- He arose and departed, and went to Samaria. As he was at the shearing house of the shepherds on the way,
- Jehu met with the brothers of Ahaziah king of Judah, and said, "Who are you?" They answered, "We are the brothers of Ahaziah. We are going down to greet the children of the king and the children of the queen."
- He said, "Take them alive!" They took them alive, and killed them at the pit of the shearing house, even forty-two men. He didn't leave any of them.
- When he had departed from there, he met Jehonadab the son of Rechab coming to meet him. He greeted him, and said to him, "Is your heart right, as my heart is with your heart?" Jehonadab answered, "It is." "If it is, give me your hand." He gave him his hand; and he took him up to him into the chariot.
- He said, "Come with me, and see my zeal for Yahweh." So they made him ride in his chariot.
- When he came to Samaria, he struck all who remained to Ahab in Samaria, until he had destroyed him, according to the word of Yahweh, which he spoke to Elijah.
- Jehu gathered all the people together, and said to them, "Ahab served Baal a little; but Jehu will serve him much.
- Now therefore call to me all the prophets of Baal, all of his worshippers, and all of his priests. Let none be absent; for I have a great sacrifice to Baal. Whoever is absent, he shall not live." But Jehu did it in subtlety, intending that he might destroy the worshippers of Baal.
- Jehu said, "Sanctify a solemn assembly for Baal!" They proclaimed it.
- Jehu sent through all Israel; and all the worshippers of Baal came, so that there was not a man left that didn't come. They came into the house of Baal; and the house of Baal was filled from one end to another.
- He said to him who was over the vestry, "Bring out robes for all the worshippers of Baal!" He brought robes out to them.
- Jehu went with Jehonadab the son of Rechab into the house of Baal. Then he said to the worshippers of Baal, "Search, and look that there are here with you none of the servants of Yahweh, but the worshippers of Baal only."
- They went in to offer sacrifices and burnt offerings. Now Jehu had appointed him eighty men outside, and said, "If any of the men whom I bring into your hands escape, [he who lets him go], his life shall be for the life of him."
- It happened, as soon as he had made an end of offering the burnt offering, that Jehu said to the guard and to the captains, "Go in, and kill them! Let none escape." They struck them with the edge of the sword; and the guard and the captains cast them out, and went to the city of the house of Baal.
- They brought out the pillars that were in the house of Baal, and burned them.
- They broke down the pillar of Baal, and broke down the house of Baal, and made it a latrine, to this day.
- Thus Jehu destroyed Baal out of Israel.
- However from the sins of Jeroboam the son of Nebat, with which he made Israel to sin, Jehu didn't depart from after them, [to wit], the golden calves that were in Bethel, and that were in Dan.
- Yahweh said to Jehu, "Because you have done well in executing that which is right in my eyes, [and] have done to the house of Ahab according to all that was in my heart, your sons of the fourth generation shall sit on the throne of Israel."
- But Jehu took no heed to walk in the law of Yahweh, the God of Israel, with all his heart. He didn't depart from the sins of Jeroboam, with which he made Israel to sin.
- In those days Yahweh began to cut off from Israel; and Hazael struck them in all the borders of Israel;
- from the Jordan eastward, all the land of Gilead, the Gadites, and the Reubenites, and the Manassites, from Aroer, which is by the valley of the Arnon, even Gilead and Bashan.
- Now the rest of the acts of Jehu, and all that he did, and all his might, aren't they written in the book of the chronicles of the kings of Israel?
- Jehu slept with his fathers; and they buried him in Samaria. Jehoahaz his son reigned in his place.
- The time that Jehu reigned over Israel in Samaria was twenty-eight years.
| 2 Kings 10 Text (Hebrew)
- ולאחאב שבעים בנים בשמרון ויכתב יהוא ספרים וישלח שמרון אל־שרי יזרעאל הזקנים ואל־האמנים אחאב לאמר׃
- ועתה כבא הספר הזה אליכם ואתכם בני אדניכם ואתכם הרכב והסוסים ועיר מבצר והנשק׃
- וראיתם הטוב והישר מבני אדניכם ושמתם על־כסא אביו והלחמו על־בית אדניכם׃
- ויראו מאד מאד ויאמרו הנה שני המלכים לא עמדו לפניו ואיך נעמד אנחנו׃
- וישלח אשר־על־הבית ואשר על־העיר והזקנים והאמנים אל־יהוא לאמר עבדיך אנחנו וכל אשר־תאמר אלינו נעשה לא־נמליך איש הטוב בעיניך עשה׃
- ויכתב אליהם ספר שנית לאמר אם־לי אתם ולקלי אתם שמעים קחו את־ראשי אנשי בני־אדניכם ובאו אלי כעת מחר יזרעאלה ובני המלך שבעים איש את־גדלי העיר מגדלים אותם׃
- ויהי כבא הספר אליהם ויקחו את־בני המלך וישחטו שבעים איש וישימו את־ראשיהם בדודים וישלחו אליו יזרעאלה׃
- ויבא המלאך ויגד־לו לאמר הביאו ראשי בני־המלך ויאמר שימו אתם שני צברים פתח השער עד־הבקר׃
- ויהי בבקר ויצא ויעמד ויאמר אל־כל־העם צדקים אתם הנה אני קשרתי על־אדני ואהרגהו ומי הכה את־כל־אלה׃
- דעו אפוא כי לא יפל מדבר יהוה ארצה אשר־דבר יהוה על־בית אחאב ויהוה עשה את אשר דבר ביד עבדו אליהו׃
- ויך יהוא את כל־הנשארים לבית־אחאב ביזרעאל וכל־גדליו ומידעיו וכהניו עד־בלתי השאיר־לו שריד׃
- ויקם ויבא וילך שמרון הוא בית־עקד הרעים בדרך׃
- ויהוא מצא את־אחי אחזיהו מלך־יהודה ויאמר מי אתם ויאמרו אחי אחזיהו אנחנו ונרד לשלום בני־המלך ובני הגבירה׃
- ויאמר תפשום חיים ויתפשום חיים וישחטום אל־בור בית־עקד ארבעים ושנים איש ולא־השאיר איש מהם׃ ס
- וילך משם וימצא את־יהונדב בן־רכב לקראתו ויברכהו ויאמר אליו היש את־לבבך ישר כאשר לבבי עם־לבבך ויאמר יהונדב יש ויש תנה את־ידך ויתן ידו ויעלהו אליו אל־המרכבה׃
- ויאמר לכה אתי וראה בקנאתי ליהוה וירכבו אתו ברכבו׃
- ויבא שמרון ויך את־כל־הנשארים לאחאב בשמרון עד־השמידו כדבר יהוה אשר דבר אל־אליהו׃ ף
- ויקבץ יהוא את־כל־העם ויאמר אלהם אחאב עבד את־הבעל מעט יהוא יעבדנו הרבה׃
- ועתה כל־נביאי הבעל כל־עבדיו וכל־כהניו קראו אלי איש אל־יפקד כי זבח גדול לי לבעל כל אשר־יפקד לא יחיה ויהוא עשה בעקבה למען האביד את־עבדי הבעל׃
- ויאמר יהוא קדשו עצרה לבעל ויקראו׃
- וישלח יהוא בכל־ישראל ויבאו כל־עבדי הבעל ולא־נשאר איש אשר לא־בא ויבאו בית הבעל וימלא בית־הבעל פה לפה׃
- ויאמר לאשר על־המלתחה הוצא לבוש לכל עבדי הבעל ויצא להם המלבוש׃
- ויבא יהוא ויהונדב בן־רכב בית הבעל ויאמר לעבדי הבעל חפשו וראו פן־יש־פה עםכם מעבדי יהוה כי אם־עבדי הבעל לבדם׃
- ויבאו לעשות זבחים ועלות ויהוא שם־לו בחוץ שמנים איש ויאמר האיש אשר־ימלט מן־האנשים אשר אני מביא על־ידיכם נפשו תחת נפשו׃
- ויהי ככלתו לעשות העלה ויאמר יהוא לרצים ולשלשים באו הכום איש אל־יצא ויכום לפי־חרב וישלכו הרצים והשלשים וילכו עד־עיר בית־הבעל׃
- ויצאו את־מצבות בית־הבעל וישרפוה׃
- ויתצו את מצבת הבעל ויתצו את־בית הבעל וישמהו עד־היום׃
- וישמד יהוא את־הבעל מישראל׃
- רק חטאי ירבעם בן־נבט אשר החטיא את־ישראל לא־סר יהוא מאחריהם עגלי הזהב אשר בית־אל ואשר בדן׃ ס
- ויאמר יהוה אל־יהוא יען אשר־הטיבת לעשות הישר בעיני ככל אשר בלבבי עשית לבית אחאב בני רבעים ישבו לך על־כסא ישראל׃
- ויהוא לא שמר ללכת בתורת־יהוה אלהי־ישראל בכל־לבבו לא סר מעל חטאות ירבעם אשר החטיא את־ישראל׃
- בימים ההם החל יהוה לקצות בישראל ויכם חזאל בכל־גבול ישראל׃
- מן־הירדן מזרח השמש את כל־ארץ הגלעד הגדי והראובני והמנשי מערער אשר על־נחל ארןן והגלעד והבשן׃
- ויתר דברי יהוא וכל־אשר עשה וכל־גבורתו הלוא־הם כתובים על־ספר דברי הימים למלכי ישראל׃
- וישכב יהוא עם־אבתיו ויקברו אתו בשמרון וימלך יהואחז בנו תחתיו׃
- והימים אשר מלך יהוא על־ישראל עשרים ושמנה־שנה בשמרון׃ ף
| 2 Kings 10 Text (Latin)
- Erant autem Achab septuaginta filii in Samaria : scripsit ergo Jehu litteras, et misit in Samariam, ad optimates civitatis, et ad majores natu, et ad nutritios Achab, dicens :
- Statim ut acceperitis litteras has, qui habetis filios domini vestri, et currus, et equos, et civitates firmas, et arma,
- eligite meliorem, et eum qui vobis placuerit de filiis domini vestri, et eum ponite super solium patris sui, et pugnate pro domo domini vestri.
- Timuerunt illi vehementer, et dixerunt : Ecce duo reges non potuerunt stare coram eo, et quomodo nos valebimus resistere ?
- Miserunt ergo præpositi domus, et præfecti civitatis, et majores natu, et nutritii ad Jehu, dicentes : Servi tui sumus, quæcumque jusseris faciemus, nec constituemus nobis regem : quæcumque tibi placent, fac.
- Rescripsit autem eis litteras secundo, dicens : Si mei estis, et obeditis mihi, tollite capita filiorum domini vestri, et venite ad me hac eadem hora cras in Jezrahel. Porro filii regis, septuaginta viri apud optimates civitates nutriebantur.
- Cumque venissent litteras ad eos, tulerunt filios regis, et occiderunt septuaginta viros, et posuerunt capita eorum in cophinis, et miserunt ad eum in Jezrahel.
- Venit autem nuntius, et indicavit ei, dicens : Attulerunt capita filiorum regis. Qui respondit : Ponite ea ad duos acervos juxta introitum portæ usque mane.
- Cumque diluxisset, egressus est, et stans dixit ad omnem populum : Justi estis : si ego conjuravi contra dominum meum, et interfeci eum, quis percussit omnes hos ?
- Videte ergo nunc quoniam non cecidit de sermonibus Domini in terram, quos locutus est Dominus super domum Achab, et Dominus fecit quod locutus est in manu servi sui Eliæ.
- Percussit igitur Jehu omnes, qui reliqui erant de domo Achab in Jezrahel, et universos optimates ejus, et notos, et sacerdotes, donec non remanerent ex eo reliquiæ.
- Et surrexit, et venit in Samariam : cumque venisset ad Cameram pastorum in via,
- invenit fratres Ochoziæ regis Juda, dixitque ad eos : Quinam estis vos ? Qui responderunt : Fratres Ochoziæ sumus, et descendimus ad salutandos filios regis, et filios reginæ.
- Qui ait : Comprehendite eos vivos. Quos cum comprehendissent vivos, jugulaverunt eos in cisterna juxta Cameram, quadraginta duos viros, et non reliquit ex eis quemquam.
- Cumque abiisset inde, invenit Jonadab filium Rechab in occursum sibi, et benedixit ei. Et ait ad eum : Numquid est cor tuum rectum, sicut cor meum cum corde tuo ? Et ait Jonadab : Est. Si est, inquit, da manum tuam. Qui dedit ei manum suam. At ille levavit eum ad se in currum :
- dixitque ad eum : Veni mecum, et vide zelum meum pro Domino. Et impositum in curru suo
- duxit in Samariam. Et percussit omnes qui reliqui fuerant de Achab in Samaria usque ad unum, juxta verbum Domini, quod locutus est per Eliam.
- Congregavit ergo Jehu omnem populum, et dixit ad eos : Achab coluit Baal parum, ego autem colam eum amplius.
- Nunc igitur omnes prophetas Baal, et universos servos ejus, et cunctos sacerdotes ipsius vocate ad me : nullus sit qui non veniat, sacrificium enim grande est mihi Baal : quicumque defuerit, non vivet. Porro Jehu faciebat hoc insidiose, ut disperderet cultores Baal.
- Et dixit : Sanctificate diem solemnem Baal. Vocavitque
- et misit in univeros terminos Israël, et venerunt cuncti servi Baal : non fuit residuus ne unus quidem qui non veniret. Et ingressi sunt templum Baal : et repleta est domus Baal, a summo usque ad summum.
- Dixitque his qui erant super vestes : Proferte vestimenta universis servis Baal. Et protulerunt eis vestes.
- Ingressusque Jehu, et Jonadab filius Rechab, templum Baal, ait cultoribus Baal : Perquirite, et videte, ne quis forte vobiscum sit de servis Domini, sed ut sint servi Baal soli.
- Ingressi sunt igitur ut facerent victimas et holocausta : Jehu autem præparaverat sibi foris octoginta viros, et dixerat eis : Quicumque fugerit de hominibus his, quos ego adduxero in manus vestras, anima ejus erit pro anima illius.
- Factum est autem, cum completum esset holocaustum, præcepit Jehu militibus et ducibus suis : Ingredimini, et percutite eos, nullus evadat. Percusseruntque eos in ore gladii, et projecerunt milites et duces, et ierunt in civitatem templi Baal,
- et protulerunt statuam de fano Baal, et combusserunt,
- et comminuerunt eam. Destruxerunt quoque ædem Baal, et fecerunt pro ea latrinas usque in diem hanc.
- Delevit itaque Jehu Baal de Israël :
- verumtamen a peccatis Jeroboam filii Nabat, qui peccare fecit Israël, non recessit, nec dereliquit vitulos aureos, qui erant in Bethel, et in Dan.
- Dixit autem Dominus ad Jehu : Quia studiose egisti quod rectum erat, et placebat in oculis meis, et omnia quæ erant in corde meo fecisti contra domum Achab : filii tui usque ad quartam generationem sedebunt super thronum Israël.
- Porro Jehu non custodivit ut ambularet in lege Domini Dei Israël in toto corde suo : non enim recessit a peccatis Jeroboam, qui peccare fecerat Israël.
- In diebus illis cœpit Dominus tædere super Israël : percussitque eos Hazaël in universis finibus Israël,
- a Jordane contra orientalem plagam, omnem terram Galaad, et Gad, et Ruben, et Manasse, ab Aroër, quæ est super torrentem Arnon, et Galaad, et Basan.
- Reliqua autem verborum Jehu, et universa quæ fecit, et fortitudo ejus, nonne hæc scripta sunt in libro verborum dierum regum Israël ?
- Et dormivit Jehu cum patribus suis, sepelieruntque eum in Samaria : et regnavit Joachaz filius ejus pro eo.
- Dies autem, quos regnavit Jehu super Israël, viginti et octo anni sunt in Samaria.
| 2 Kings 10 Text (KJV)
- And Ahab had seventy sons in Samaria. And Jehu wrote letters, and sent to Samaria, unto the rulers of Jezreel, to the elders, and to them that brought up Ahab's children, saying,
- Now as soon as this letter cometh to you, seeing your master's sons are with you, and there are with you chariots and horses, a fenced city also, and armour;
- Look even out the best and meetest of your master's sons, and set him on his father's throne, and fight for your master's house.
- But they were exceedingly afraid, and said, Behold, two kings stood not before him: how then shall we stand?
- And he that was over the house, and he that was over the city, the elders also, and the bringers up of the children, sent to Jehu, saying, We are thy servants, and will do all that thou shalt bid us; we will not make any king: do thou that which is good in thine eyes.
- Then he wrote a letter the second time to them, saying, If ye be mine, and if ye will hearken unto my voice, take ye the heads of the men your master's sons, and come to me to Jezreel by to morrow this time. Now the king's sons, being seventy persons, were with the great men of the city, which brought them up.
- And it came to pass, when the letter came to them, that they took the king's sons, and slew seventy persons, and put their heads in baskets, and sent him them to Jezreel.
- And there came a messenger, and told him, saying, They have brought the heads of the king's sons. And he said, Lay ye them in two heaps at the entering in of the gate until the morning.
- And it came to pass in the morning, that he went out, and stood, and said to all the people, Ye be righteous: behold, I conspired against my master, and slew him: but who slew all these?
- Know now that there shall fall unto the earth nothing of the word of the LORD, which the LORD spake concerning the house of Ahab: for the LORD hath done that which he spake by his servant Elijah.
- So Jehu slew all that remained of the house of Ahab in Jezreel, and all his great men, and his kinsfolks, and his priests, until he left him none remaining.
- And he arose and departed, and came to Samaria. And as he was at the shearing house in the way,
- Jehu met with the brethren of Ahaziah king of Judah, and said, Who are ye? And they answered, We are the brethren of Ahaziah; and we go down to salute the children of the king and the children of the queen.
- And he said, Take them alive. And they took them alive, and slew them at the pit of the shearing house, even two and forty men; neither left he any of them.
- And when he was departed thence, he lighted on Jehonadab the son of Rechab coming to meet him: and he saluted him, and said to him, Is thine heart right, as my heart is with thy heart? And Jehonadab answered, It is. If it be, give me thine hand. And he gave him his hand; and he took him up to him into the chariot.
- And he said, Come with me, and see my zeal for the LORD. So they made him ride in his chariot.
- And when he came to Samaria, he slew all that remained unto Ahab in Samaria, till he had destroyed him, according to the saying of the LORD, which he spake to Elijah.
- And Jehu gathered all the people together, and said unto them, Ahab served Baal a little; but Jehu shall serve him much.
- Now therefore call unto me all the prophets of Baal, all his servants, and all his priests; let none be wanting: for I have a great sacrifice to do to Baal; whosoever shall be wanting, he shall not live. But Jehu did it in subtilty, to the intent that he might destroy the worshippers of Baal.
- And Jehu said, Proclaim a solemn assembly for Baal. And they proclaimed it.
- And Jehu sent through all Israel: and all the worshippers of Baal came, so that there was not a man left that came not. And they came into the house of Baal; and the house of Baal was full from one end to another.
- And he said unto him that was over the vestry, Bring forth vestments for all the worshippers of Baal. And he brought them forth vestments.
- And Jehu went, and Jehonadab the son of Rechab, into the house of Baal, and said unto the worshippers of Baal, Search, and look that there be here with you none of the servants of the LORD, but the worshippers of Baal only.
- And when they went in to offer sacrifices and burnt offerings, Jehu appointed fourscore men without, and said, If any of the men whom I have brought into your hands escape, he that letteth him go, his life shall be for the life of him.
- And it came to pass, as soon as he had made an end of offering the burnt offering, that Jehu said to the guard and to the captains, Go in, and slay them; let none come forth. And they smote them with the edge of the sword; and the guard and the captains cast them out, and went to the city of the house of Baal.
- And they brought forth the images out of the house of Baal, and burned them.
- And they brake down the image of Baal, and brake down the house of Baal, and made it a draught house unto this day.
- Thus Jehu destroyed Baal out of Israel.
- Howbeit from the sins of Jeroboam the son of Nebat, who made Israel to sin, Jehu departed not from after them, to wit, the golden calves that were in Bethel, and that were in Dan.
- And the LORD said unto Jehu, Because thou hast done well in executing that which is right in mine eyes, and hast done unto the house of Ahab according to all that was in mine heart, thy children of the fourth generation shall sit on the throne of Israel.
- But Jehu took no heed to walk in the law of the LORD God of Israel with all his heart: for he departed not from the sins of Jeroboam, which made Israel to sin.
- In those days the LORD began to cut Israel short: and Hazael smote them in all the coasts of Israel;
- From Jordan eastward, all the land of Gilead, the Gadites, and the Reubenites, and the Manassites, from Aroer, which is by the river Arnon, even Gilead and Bashan.
- Now the rest of the acts of Jehu, and all that he did, and all his might, are they not written in the book of the chronicles of the kings of Israel?
- And Jehu slept with his fathers: and they buried him in Samaria. And Jehoahaz his son reigned in his stead.
- And the time that Jehu reigned over Israel in Samaria was twenty and eight years.