| Acts 5 - Versions
| Acts 5 Text (WEB)
- But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira, his wife, sold a possession,
- and kept back part of the price, his wife also being aware of it, and brought a certain part, and laid it at the apostles' feet.
- But Peter said, "Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit, and to keep back part of the price of the land?
- While you kept it, didn't it remain your own? After it was sold, wasn't it in your power? How is it that you have conceived this thing in your heart? You haven't lied to men, but to God."
- Ananias, hearing these words, fell down and died. Great fear came on all who heard these things.
- The young men arose and wrapped him up, and they carried him out and buried him.
- About three hours later, his wife, not knowing what had happened, came in.
- Peter answered her, "Tell me whether you sold the land for so much." She said, "Yes, for so much."
- But Peter asked her, "How is it that you have agreed together to tempt the Spirit of the Lord? Behold, the feet of those who have buried your husband are at the door, and they will carry you out."
- She fell down immediately at his feet, and died. The young men came in and found her dead, and they carried her out and buried her by her husband.
- Great fear came on the whole assembly, and on all who heard these things.
- By the hands of the apostles many signs and wonders were done among the people. They were all with one accord in Solomon's porch.
- None of the rest dared to join them, however the people honored them.
- More believers were added to the Lord, multitudes of both men and women.
- They even carried out the sick into the streets, and laid them on cots and mattresses, so that as Peter came by, at the least his shadow might overshadow some of them.
- Multitudes also came together from the cities around Jerusalem, bringing sick people, and those who were tormented by unclean spirits: and they were all healed.
- But the high priest rose up, and all those who were with him (which is the sect of the Sadducees), and they were filled with jealousy,
- and laid hands on the apostles, and put them in public custody.
- But an angel of the Lord opened the prison doors by night, and brought them out, and said,
- "Go stand and speak in the temple to the people all the words of this life."
- When they heard this, they entered into the temple about daybreak, and taught. But the high priest came, and those who were with him, and called the council together, and all the senate of the children of Israel, and sent to the prison to have them brought.
- But the officers who came didn't find them in the prison. They returned and reported,
- "We found the prison shut and locked, and the guards standing before the doors, but when we opened them, we found no one inside!"
- Now when the high priest, the captain of the temple, and the chief priests heard these words, they were very perplexed about them and what might become of this.
- One came and told them, "Behold, the men whom you put in prison are in the temple, standing and teaching the people."
- Then the captain went with the officers, and brought them without violence, for they were afraid that the people might stone them.
- When they had brought them, they set them before the council. The high priest questioned them,
- saying, "Didn't we strictly command you not to teach in this name? Behold, you have filled Jerusalem with your teaching, and intend to bring this man's blood on us."
- But Peter and the apostles answered, "We must obey God rather than men.
- The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom you killed, hanging him on a tree.
- God exalted him with his right hand to be a Prince and a Savior, to give repentance to Israel, and remission of sins.
- We are His witnesses of these things; and so also is the Holy Spirit, whom God has given to those who obey him."
- But they, when they heard this, were cut to the heart, and determined to kill them.
- But one stood up in the council, a Pharisee named Gamaliel, a teacher of the law, honored by all the people, and commanded to put the apostles out for a little while.
- He said to them, "You men of Israel, be careful concerning these men, what you are about to do.
- For before these days Theudas rose up, making himself out to be somebody; to whom a number of men, about four hundred, joined themselves: who was slain; and all, as many as obeyed him, were dispersed, and came to nothing.
- After this man, Judas of Galilee rose up in the days of the enrollment, and drew away some people after him. He also perished, and all, as many as obeyed him, were scattered abroad.
- Now I tell you, withdraw from these men, and leave them alone. For if this counsel or this work is of men, it will be overthrown.
- But if it is of God, you will not be able to overthrow it, and you would be found even to be fighting against God!"
- They agreed with him. Summoning the apostles, they beat them and commanded them not to speak in the name of Jesus, and let them go.
- They therefore departed from the presence of the council, rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer dishonor for Jesus' name.
- Every day, in the temple and at home, they never stopped teaching and preaching Jesus, the Christ.
| Acts 5 Text (Hebrew)
- ואיש אחד ושמו חנניה עם אשתו שפירה מכר את אחזתו׃
- ויקח מן המחיר ויסתירהו ואשתו ידעת גם היא וחלק אחד הביא וישם לרגלי השליחים׃
- ויאמר פטרוס חנניה למה זה מלא השטן את לבבך לשקר ברוח הקדש ולהסתיר ממחיר השדה׃
- הלא שלך היה טרם המכרו וגם אחרי נמכר היה בידך ולמה שמת על לבבך הדבר הזה לא שקרת בבני אדם כי אם באלהים׃
- וכשמע חנניה את הדברים האלה נפל ארצה ויגוע ותהי יראה גדולה על כל השמעים׃
- ויקומו הצעירים ויאספו אתו וישאהו החוצה ויקברהו׃
- ויהי כמשלש שעות ותבא אשתו והיא לא ידעה את הנעשה׃
- ויען פטרוס ויאמר אליה אמרי לי הבמחיר הזה מכרתם את השדה ותאמר כן במחיר הזה׃
- ויאמר פטרוס אליה למה זה נועדתם לנסות את רוח יהוה הנה בפתח רגלי המקברים את אישך ונשאו אתך החוצה׃
- ותפל פתאם לרגליו ותגוע והבחורים באו והנה מתה וישאוה החוצה ויקברוה אצל אישה׃
- ותהי יראה גדולה על כל הקהל ועל כל השמעים את אלה׃
- ויעשו אתות ומופתים רבים בקרב העם על ידי השליחים וכלם נאספו לב אחד באולם של שלמה׃
- ומן האחרים אין איש אשר מלאו לבו לחלות עליהם אך הוקיר אתם העם׃
- אבל נספחו עוד יתר מאמינים אל האדון אנשים ונשים הרבה מאד׃
- עד כי נשאו את החולים אל הרחבות וישימום על מטות ומשכבות למען אשר ילך פטרוס ונפל אך צלו על אחד מהם׃
- וגם המון עם הערים אשר מסביב נקבצו ירושלים מביאים את החולים ואת הנלחצים מרוחות טמאות וירפאו כלם׃
- ויקם הכהן הגדול וכל אשר אתו והם אנשי כת הצדוקים וימלאו קנאה׃
- וישלחו יד בשליחים ויתנום במשמר העיר׃
- ויהי בלילה ויפתח מלאך יהוה את דלתי בית הכלא ויוציאם לאמר׃
- לכו והתיצבו במקדש ודברו אל העם את כל דברי החיים האלה׃
- והם כשמעם את זאת באו אל המקדש בהית הבקר וילמדו שם ויבא הכהן הגדול ואשר אתו ויקראו אל הסנהדרין ואל כל זקני בני ישראל וישלחו אל בית האסורים להביא אתם׃
- וילכו המשרתים ולא מצאום בבית הכלא וישובו ויגידו לאמר׃
- את בית האסורים מצאנו סגור ומסגר והשמרים עמדים על הדלתות וכאשר פתחנו לא נמצא בו אדם׃
- ויהי כשמע הכהן ונגיד המקדש וראשי הכהנים את הדברים האלה ויבהלו עליהם ויאמרו איך יפל הדבר הזה׃
- ואיש אחד בא ויגד להם לאמר הנה האנשים אשר שמתם במשמר עמדים הם במקדש ומלמדים את העם׃
- וילך שמה הנגיד עם משרתיו ויקחם אך לא בחזקה כי יראו מפני העם פן יסקלו׃
- ויביאו אתם ויעמידום לפני הסנהדרין וישאלם הכהן הגדול לאמר׃
- הלא צוה צוינו עליכם לבלתי למד בשם הזה והנה מלאתם את ירושלים תורתכם ותחפצו להביא עלינו את דמי האיש הזה׃
- ויען פטרוס והשליחים ויאמרו הלא עלינו להקשיב בקול אלהים מהקשיב בקול בני אדם׃
- אלהי אבותינו הקים את ישוע אשר שלחתם ידכם בו ותתלו אותו על העץ׃
- את זה נשא האלהים בימינו לשר ולמושיע לתת תשובה לישראל וסליחת החטאים׃
- ואנחנו עדיו על אלה וגם רוח הקדש אשר נתן אותו האלהים לשמעים בקולו׃
- ויהי כשמעם ויתרגזו ויתיעצו להרוג אתם׃
- ויקם בתוך הסנהדרין אחד מן הפרושים גמליאל שמו והוא מורה התורה מכבד בעיני כל העם ויצו להוציא את השליחים החוצה לזמן מעט׃
- ויאמר אליהם אנשי ישראל השמרו לכם מפני האנשים האלה במה שאתם עשים להם׃
- כי לפני הימים האלה קם תודס ויתן את נפשו כאחד הגדולים וידבקו בו כארבע מאות איש ויהרג וכל אשר שמעו אליו התפרדו ויהיו לאין׃
- ואחר כן קם יהודה הגלילי בימי הספר ויסת אחריו עם רב וגם הוא נהרג וכל אשר שמעו אליו נפצו׃
- ועתה אני אמר אליכם חדלו לכם מן האנשים האלה והניחו להם כי העצה והפעלה הזאת אם מאת אדם היא תפר׃
- ואם מאת האלהים היא לא תוכלו להפר אתה פן תמצאו נלחמים את האלהים׃
- וישמעו אליו ויקראו את השליחים וילקו אתם ויצוו אשר לא ידברו בשם ישוע ויפטרו אותם׃
- ויצאו שמחים מלפני הסנהדרין על כי זכו לשאת על שמו כלמה׃
- וכל היום לא חדלו ללמד במקדש ובבתים ולבשר את בשורת ישוע המשיח׃
| Acts 5 Text (Latin)
- Vir autem quidam nomine Ananias, cum Saphira uxore suo vendidit agrum,
- et fraudavit de pretio agri, conscia uxore sua : et afferens partem quamdam, ad pedes Apostolorum posuit.
- Dixit autem Petrus : Anania, cur tentavit Satanas cor tuum, mentiri te Spiritui Sancto, et fraudare de pretio agri ?
- Nonne manens tibi manebat, et venundatum in tua erat potestate ? Quare posuisti in corde tuo hanc rem ? Non es mentitus hominibus, sed Deo.
- Audiens autem Ananias hæc verba, cecidit, et expiravit. Et factus est timor magnus super omnes qui audierunt.
- Surgentes autem juvenes amoverunt eum, et efferentes sepelierunt.
- Factum est autem quasi horarum trium spatium, et uxor ipsius, nesciens quod factum fuerat, introivit.
- Dixit autem ei Petrus : Dic mihi mulier, si tanti agrum vendidistis ? At illa dixit : Etiam tanti.
- Petrus autem ad eam : Quid utique convenit vobis tentare Spiritum Domini ? Ecce pedes eorum qui sepelierunt virum tuum ad ostium, et efferent te.
- Confestim cecidit ante pedes ejus, et expiravit. Intrantes autem juvenes invenerunt illam mortuam : et extulerunt, et sepelierunt ad virum suum.
- Et factus est timor magnus in universa ecclesia, et in omnes qui audierunt hæc.
- Per manus autem Apostolorum fiebant signa et prodigia multa in plebe. Et erant unanimiter omnes in porticu Salomonis.
- Ceterorum autem nemo audebat se conjungere illis : sed magnificabat eos populus.
- Magis autem augebatur credentium in Domino multitudo virorum ac mulierum,
- ita ut in plateas ejicerent infirmos, et ponerent in lectulis et grabatis, ut, veniente Petro, saltem umbra illius obumbraret quemquam illorum, et liberarentur ab infirmitatibus suis.
- Concurrebat autem et multitudo vicinarum civitatum Jerusalem, afferentes ægros, et vexatos a spiritibus immundis : qui curabantur omnes.
- Exsurgens autem princeps sacerdotum, et omnes qui cum illo erant (quæ est hæresis sadducæorum), repleti sunt zelo :
- et injecerunt manus in Apostolos, et posuerunt eos in custodia publica.
- Angelus autem Domini per noctem aperiens januas carceris, et educens eos, dixit :
- Ite, et stantes loquimini in templo plebi omnia verba vitæ hujus.
- Qui cum audissent, intraverunt diluculo in templum, et docebant. Adveniens autem princeps sacerdotum, et qui cum eo erant, convocaverunt concilium, et omnes seniores filiorum Israël : et miserunt ad carcerem ut adducerentur.
- Cum autem venissent ministri, et aperto carcere non invenissent illos, reversi nuntiaverunt,
- dicentes : Carcerem quidem invenimus clausum cum omni diligentia, et custodes stantes ante januas : aperientes autem neminem intus invenimus.
- Ut autem audierunt hos sermones magistratus templi et principes sacerdotum, ambigebant de illis quidnam fieret.
- Adveniens autem quidam nuntiavit eis : Quia ecce viri, quos posuistis in carcerem, sunt in templo stantes, et docentes populum.
- Tunc abiit magistratus cum ministris, et adduxit illos sine vi : timebant enim populum ne lapidarentur.
- Et cum adduxissent illos, statuerunt in concilio : et interrogavit eos princeps sacerdotum,
- dicens : Præcipiendo præcepimus vobis ne doceretis in nomine isto : et ecce replestis Jerusalem doctrina vestra : et vultis inducere super nos sanguinem hominis istius.
- Respondens autem Petrus, et Apostoli, dixerunt : Obedire oportet Deo magis quam hominibus.
- Deus patrum nostrorum suscitavit Jesum, quem vos interemistis, suspendentes in ligno.
- Hunc principem et salvatorem Deus exaltavit dextera sua ad dandam pœnitentiam Israëli, et remissionem peccatorum :
- et nos sumus testes horum verborum, et Spiritus Sanctus, quem dedit Deus omnibus obedientibus sibi.
- Hæc cum audissent, dissecabantur, et cogitabant interficere illos.
- Surgens autem quidam in concilio pharisæus, nomine Gamaliel, legisdoctor, honorabilis universæ plebi, jussit foras ad breve homines fieri,
- dixitque ad illos : Viri Israëlitæ, attendite vobis super hominibus istis quid acturi sitis.
- Ante hos enim dies extitit Theodas, dicens se esse aliquem, cui consensit numerus virorum circiter quadringentorum : qui occisus est : et omnes qui credebant ei, dissipati sunt, et redacti ad nihilum.
- Post hunc extitit Judas Galilæus in diebus professionis, et avertit populum post se, et ipse periit : et omnes quotquot consenserunt ei, dispersi sunt.
- Et nunc itaque dico vobis, discedite ab hominibus istis, et sinite illos : quoniam si est ex hominibus consilium hoc, aut opus, dissolvetur :
- si vero ex Deo est, non poteritis dissolvere illud, ne forte et Deo repugnare inveniamini. Consenserunt autem illi.
- Et convocantes Apostolos, cæsis denuntiaverunt ne omnino loquerentur in nomine Jesu, et dimiserunt eos.
- Et illi quidem ibant gaudentes a conspectu concilii, quoniam digni habiti sunt pro nomine Jesu contumeliam pati.
- Omni autem die non cessabant in templo, et circa domos docentes, et evangelizantes Christum Jesum.
| Acts 5 Text (KJV)
- But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession,
- And kept back part of the price, his wife also being privy to it, and brought a certain part, and laid it at the apostles' feet.
- But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land?
- Whiles it remained, was it not thine own? and after it was sold, was it not in thine own power? why hast thou conceived this thing in thine heart? thou hast not lied unto men, but unto God.
- And Ananias hearing these words fell down, and gave up the ghost: and great fear came on all them that heard these things.
- And the young men arose, wound him up, and carried him out, and buried him.
- And it was about the space of three hours after, when his wife, not knowing what was done, came in.
- And Peter answered unto her, Tell me whether ye sold the land for so much? And she said, Yea, for so much.
- Then Peter said unto her, How is it that ye have agreed together to tempt the Spirit of the Lord? behold, the feet of them which have buried thy husband are at the door, and shall carry thee out.
- Then fell she down straightway at his feet, and yielded up the ghost: and the young men came in, and found her dead, and, carrying her forth, buried her by her husband.
- And great fear came upon all the church, and upon as many as heard these things.
- And by the hands of the apostles were many signs and wonders wrought among the people; (and they were all with one accord in Solomon's porch.
- And of the rest durst no man join himself to them: but the people magnified them.
- And believers were the more added to the Lord, multitudes both of men and women.)
- Insomuch that they brought forth the sick into the streets, and laid them on beds and couches, that at the least the shadow of Peter passing by might overshadow some of them.
- There came also a multitude out of the cities round about unto Jerusalem, bringing sick folks, and them which were vexed with unclean spirits: and they were healed every one.
- Then the high priest rose up, and all they that were with him, (which is the sect of the Sadducees,) and were filled with indignation,
- And laid their hands on the apostles, and put them in the common prison.
- But the angel of the Lord by night opened the prison doors, and brought them forth, and said,
- Go, stand and speak in the temple to the people all the words of this life.
- And when they heard that, they entered into the temple early in the morning, and taught. But the high priest came, and they that were with him, and called the council together, and all the senate of the children of Israel and sent to the prison to have them brought.
- But when the officers came, and found them not in the prison, they returned, and told,
- Saying, The prison truly found we shut with all safety, and the keepers standing without before the doors: but when we had opened, we found no man within.
- Now when the high priest and the captain of the temple and the chief priests heard these things, they doubted of them whereunto this would grow.
- Then came one and told them, saying, Behold, the men whom ye put in prison are standing in the temple, and teaching the people.
- Then went the captain with the officers, and brought them without violence: for they feared the people, lest they should have been stoned.
- And when they had brought them, they set them before the council: and the high priest asked them,
- Saying, Did not we straitly command you that ye should not teach in this name? and, behold, ye have filled Jerusalem with your doctrine, and intend to bring this man's blood upon us.
- Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men.
- The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom ye slew and hanged on a tree.
- Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.
- And we are his witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey him.
- When they heard that, they were cut to the heart, and took counsel to slay them.
- Then stood there up one in the council, a Pharisee, named Gamaliel, a doctor of the law, had in reputation among all the people, and commanded to put the apostles forth a little space;
- And said unto them, Ye men of Israel, take heed to yourselves what ye intend to do as touching these men.
- For before these days rose up Theudas, boasting himself to be somebody; to whom a number of men, about four hundred, joined themselves: who was slain; and all, as many as obeyed him, were scattered, and brought to nought.
- After this man rose up Judas of Galilee in the days of the taxing, and drew away much people after him: he also perished; and all, even as many as obeyed him, were dispersed.
- And now I say unto you, Refrain from these men, and let them alone: for if this counsel or this work be of men, it will come to nought:
- But if it be of God, ye cannot overthrow it; lest haply ye be found even to fight against God.
- And to him they agreed: and when they had called the apostles, and beaten them, they commanded that they should not speak in the name of Jesus, and let them go.
- And they departed from the presence of the council, rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer shame for his name.
- And daily in the temple, and in every house, they ceased not to teach and preach Jesus Christ.
Acts 5 continues showing how the community of believers was a clearly visible community within Jerusalem. The believers were highly regarded, which suggests that they continued to practice as devout Jews. This is further shown by the fact that they continued to meet in the Temple.