| Acts 3 - Versions
| Acts 3 Text (WEB)
- Peter and John were going up into the temple at the hour of prayer, the ninth hour.
- A certain man who was lame from his mother's womb was being carried, whom they laid daily at the door of the temple which is called Beautiful, to ask gifts for the needy of those who entered into the temple.
- Seeing Peter and John about to go into the temple, he asked to receive gifts for the needy.
- Peter, fastening his eyes on him, with John, said, "Look at us."
- He listened to them, expecting to receive something from them.
- But Peter said, "Silver and gold have I none, but what I have, that I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, get up and walk!"
- He took him by the right hand, and raised him up. Immediately his feet and his ankle bones received strength.
- Leaping up, he stood, and began to walk. He entered with them into the temple, walking, leaping, and praising God.
- All the people saw him walking and praising God.
- They recognized him, that it was he who used to sit begging for gifts for the needy at the Beautiful Gate of the temple. They were filled with wonder and amazement at what had happened to him.
- As the lame man who was healed held on to Peter and John, all the people ran together to them in the porch that is called Solomon's, greatly wondering.
- When Peter saw it, he responded to the people, "You men of Israel, why do you marvel at this man? Why do you fasten your eyes on us, as though by our own power or godliness we had made him walk?
- The God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, the God of our fathers, has glorified his Servant Jesus, whom you delivered up, and denied in the presence of Pilate, when he had determined to release him.
- But you denied the Holy and Righteous One, and asked for a murderer to be granted to you,
- and killed the Prince of life, whom God raised from the dead, to which we are witnesses.
- By faith in his name, his name has made this man strong, whom you see and know. Yes, the faith which is through him has given him this perfect soundness in the presence of you all.
- "Now, brothers, I know that you did this in ignorance, as did also your rulers.
- But the things which God announced by the mouth of all his prophets, that Christ should suffer, he thus fulfilled.
- "Repent therefore, and turn again, that your sins may be blotted out, so that there may come times of refreshing from the presence of the Lord,
- and that he may send Christ Jesus, who was ordained for you before,
- whom heaven must receive until the times of restoration of all things, which God spoke long ago by the mouth of his holy prophets.
- For Moses indeed said to the fathers, 'The Lord God will raise up a prophet for you from among your brothers, like me. You shall listen to him in all things whatever he says to you.
- It will be, that every soul that will not listen to that prophet will be utterly destroyed from among the people.'
- Yes, and all the prophets from Samuel and those who followed after, as many as have spoken, they also told of these days.
- You are the children of the prophets, and of the covenant which God made with our fathers, saying to Abraham, 'In your seed will all the families of the earth be blessed.'
- God, having raised up his servant, Jesus, sent him to you first, to bless you, in turning away everyone of you from your wickedness."
| Acts 3 Text (Hebrew)
- ופטרוס ויוחנן עלים יחדו אל המקדש לעת התפלה בשעה התשיעית׃
- ואיש אחד פסח מבטן אמו מובא שמה אשר יושיבהו יום יום שער המקדש הנקרא שער המהדר לשאל מתנות מאת באי המקדש׃
- ויהי כראותו את פטרוס ואת יוחנן באים אל המקדש ויבקש לקחת מאתם צדקה׃
- ויסתכל בו פטרוס וגם יוחנן ויאמר אליו הביטה אלינו׃
- וישם פניו אליהם בקותו לקחת מאתם דבר׃
- ויאמר פטרוס כסף וזהב אין לי אבל את אשר בידי אתננו לך בשם ישוע המשיח הנצרי קום התהלך׃
- ויאחז ביד ימינו ויקם אותו ויתחזקו פתאם רגליו וקרסליו׃
- ויקפץ ויתהלך ויבא אתם אל המקדש מתהלך ומרקד ומשבח את האלהים׃
- ויראהו כל העם מתהלך ומשבח את האלהים׃
- ויכירו אותו כי הוא אשר היה ישב לשאל צדקה בשער המקדש המהדר וימלאו שמה ושממון על הנעשה לו׃
- ויהי הוא מחזיק בפטרוס וביוחנן וירץ אליהם כל העם אל האולם הנקרא אולם של שלמה וישתוממו׃
- וירא פטרוס ויען ויאמר אל העם אנשי ישראל מה אתם תמהים על זאת ומה תסתכלו בנו כאלו אנחנו בכחנו ובחסידותנו שמנו את זה מתהלך׃
- אלהי אברהם אלהי יצחק ואלהי יעקב אלהי אבותינו הוא פאר את עבדו ישוע אשר אתם מסרתם אותו וכחשתם בו בפני פילטוס כשהיה דן לפטרו׃
- אבל אתם כחשתם בקדוש ובצדיק ובקשתם כי יחן לכם איש רצח׃
- ואת שר החיים הרגתם אשר האלהים הקימו מן המתים ואנחנו עדיו׃
- ולמען אמונת שמו חזק שמו את האיש הזה אשר אתם ראים ומכירים אתו והאמונה אשר לנו על ידו היא העלתה לו את הארכה הזאת לעיני כלכם׃
- ועתה אחי ידע אני כי בבלי דעת עשיתם גם אתם גם ראשיכם׃
- והאלהים ככה מלא את אשר הגיד מקדם בפי כל נביאיו כי יענה המשיח׃
- לכן הנחמו ושובו וימחו חטאיכם׃
- למען אשר יבאו ימי רוחה מלפני יהוה וישלח את אשר בשרו לכם מקדם את ישוע המשיח׃
- אשר צריך כי יקבלהו השמים עד ימי שוב כל הדברים לתקונם אשר דבר עליהם האלהים בפי נביאיו הקדושים מימי עולם׃
- הן משה אמר אל אבותינו נביא יקים לכם יהוה אלהיכם מקרב אחיכם כמני אליו תשמעון ככל אשר ידבר אליכם׃
- והיה כל הנפש אשר לא תשמע אל הנביא ההוא ונכרתה מעמיה׃
- וגם כל הנביאים משמואל ואשר נבאו אחריו כלם הגידו מראש את הימים האלה׃
- אתם בני הנביאים ובני הברית אשר כרת האלהים עם אבותינו באמרו אל אברהם ונברכו בזרעך כל משפחות האדמה׃
- לכם בראשונה העמיד האלהים את עבדו ישוע וישלחהו לברך אתכם בשובכם כל איש מרע מעלליכם׃
| Acts 3 Text (Latin)
- Petrus autem et Joannes ascendebant in templum ad horam orationis nonam.
- Et quidam vir, qui erat claudus ex utero matris suæ, bajulabatur : quem ponebant quotidie ad portam templi, quæ dicitur Speciosa, ut peteret eleemosynam ab introëuntibus in templum.
- Is cum vidisset Petrum et Joannem incipientes introire in templum, rogabat ut eleemosynam acciperet.
- Intuens autem in eum Petrus cum Joanne, dixit : Respice in nos.
- At ille intendebat in eos, sperans se aliquid accepturum ab eis.
- Petrus autem dixit : Argentum et aurum non est mihi : quod autem habeo, hoc tibi do : in nomine Jesu Christi Nazareni surge, et ambula.
- Et apprehensa manu ejus dextera, allevavit eum, et protinus consolidatæ sunt bases ejus et plantæ.
- Et exiliens stetit, et ambulabat : et intravit cum illis in templum ambulans, et exiliens, et laudans Deum.
- Et vidit omnis populus eum ambulantem, et laudantem Deum.
- Cognoscebant autem illum, quod ipse erat, qui ad eleemosynam sedebat ad Speciosam portam templi : et impleti sunt stupore et extasi in eo quod contingerat illi.
- Cum teneret autem Petrum et Joannem, cucurrit omnis populus ad eos ad porticum quæ appellatur Salomonis, stupentes.
- Videns autem Petrus, respondit ad populum : Viri Israëlitæ, quid miramini in hoc, aut nos quid intuemini, quasi nostra virtute aut potestate fecerimus hunc ambulare ?
- Deus Abraham, et Deus Isaac, et Deus Jacob, Deus patrum nostrorum glorificavit filium suum Jesum, quem vos quidem tradidistis, et negastis ante faciem Pilati, judicante illo dimitti.
- Vos autem sanctum et justum negastis, et petistis virum homicidam donari vobis :
- auctorem vero vitæ interfecistis, quem Deus suscitavit a mortuis, cujus nos testes sumus.
- Et in fide nominis ejus, hunc, quem vos vidistis, et nostis, confirmavit nomen ejus : et fides, quæ per eum est, dedit integram sanitatem istam in conspectu omnium vestrum.
- Et nunc, fratres, scio quia per ignorantiam fecistis, sicut et principes vestri.
- Deus autem, quæ prænuntiavit per os omnium prophetarum, pati Christum suum, sic implevit.
- Pœnitemini igitur, et convertimini ut deleantur peccata vestra :
- ut cum venerint tempora refrigerii a conspectu Domini, et miserit eum qui prædicatus est vobis, Jesum Christum,
- quem oportet quidem cælum suscipere usque in tempora restitutionis omnium, quæ locutus est Deus per os sanctorum suorum a sæculo prophetarum.
- Moyses quidem dixit : Quoniam prophetam suscitabit vobis Dominus Deus vester de fratribus vestris, tamquam me, ipsum audietis juxta omnia quæcumque locutus fuerit vobis.
- Erit autem : omnis anima, quæ non audierit prophetam illum, exterminabitur de plebe.
- Et omnes prophetæ a Samuel, et deinceps, qui locuti sunt, annuntiaverunt dies istos.
- Vos estis filii prophetarum et testamenti, quod disposuit Deus ad patres nostros, dicens ad Abraham : Et in semine tuo benedicentur omnes familiæ terræ.
- Vobis primum Deus suscitans filium suum, misit eum benedicentem vobis : ut convertat se unusquisque a nequitia sua.
| Acts 3 Text (KJV)
- Now Peter and John went up together into the temple at the hour of prayer, being the ninth hour.
- And a certain man lame from his mother's womb was carried, whom they laid daily at the gate of the temple which is called Beautiful, to ask alms of them that entered into the temple;
- Who seeing Peter and John about to go into the temple asked an alms.
- And Peter, fastening his eyes upon him with John, said, Look on us.
- And he gave heed unto them, expecting to receive something of them.
- Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk.
- And he took him by the right hand, and lifted him up: and immediately his feet and ancle bones received strength.
- And he leaping up stood, and walked, and entered with them into the temple, walking, and leaping, and praising God.
- And all the people saw him walking and praising God:
- And they knew that it was he which sat for alms at the Beautiful gate of the temple: and they were filled with wonder and amazement at that which had happened unto him.
- And as the lame man which was healed held Peter and John, all the people ran together unto them in the porch that is called Solomon's, greatly wondering.
- And when Peter saw it, he answered unto the people, Ye men of Israel, why marvel ye at this? or why look ye so earnestly on us, as though by our own power or holiness we had made this man to walk?
- The God of Abraham, and of Isaac, and of Jacob, the God of our fathers, hath glorified his Son Jesus; whom ye delivered up, and denied him in the presence of Pilate, when he was determined to let him go.
- But ye denied the Holy One and the Just, and desired a murderer to be granted unto you;
- And killed the Prince of life, whom God hath raised from the dead; whereof we are witnesses.
- And his name through faith in his name hath made this man strong, whom ye see and know: yea, the faith which is by him hath given him this perfect soundness in the presence of you all.
- And now, brethren, I wot that through ignorance ye did it, as did also your rulers.
- But those things, which God before had shewed by the mouth of all his prophets, that Christ should suffer, he hath so fulfilled.
- Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;
- And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you:
- Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.
- For Moses truly said unto the fathers, A prophet shall the Lord your God raise up unto you of your brethren, like unto me; him shall ye hear in all things whatsoever he shall say unto you.
- And it shall come to pass, that every soul, which will not hear that prophet, shall be destroyed from among the people.
- Yea, and all the prophets from Samuel and those that follow after, as many as have spoken, have likewise foretold of these days.
- Ye are the children of the prophets, and of the covenant which God made with our fathers, saying unto Abraham, And in thy seed shall all the kindreds of the earth be blessed.
- Unto you first God, having raised up his Son Jesus, sent him to bless you, in turning away every one of you from his iniquities.
The third chapter of Acts gives an account of God healing a crippled man through the apostle Peter, and Peter's second major speech proclaiming the gospel.
After healing the crippled man in the Temple, Peter proclaims the Gospel to the amazed crowd. This is his second message in Acts. In it, his Christology is more developed than in his first message. Jesus is shown to be the Christ, the suffering servant of Isaiah and the prophet like Moses.