| Acts 22 - Versions
| Acts 22 Text (WEB)
- "Brothers and fathers, listen to the defense which I now make to you."
- When they heard that he spoke to them in the Hebrew language, they were even more quiet. He said,
- "I am indeed a Jew, born in Tarsus of Cilicia, but brought up in this city at the feet of Gamaliel, instructed according to the strict tradition of the law of our fathers, being zealous for God, even as you all are this day.
- I persecuted this Way to the death, binding and delivering into prisons both men and women.
- As also the high priest and all the council of the elders testify, from whom also I received letters to the brothers, and traveled to Damascus to bring them also who were there to Jerusalem in bonds to be punished.
- It happened that, as I made my journey, and came close to Damascus, about noon, suddenly there shone from the sky a great light around me.
- I fell to the ground, and heard a voice saying to me, 'Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me?'
- I answered, 'Who are you, Lord?' He said to me, 'I am Jesus of Nazareth, whom you persecute.'
- "Those who were with me indeed saw the light and were afraid, but they didn't understand the voice of him who spoke to me.
- I said, 'What shall I do, Lord?' The Lord said to me, 'Arise, and go into Damascus. There you will be told about all things which are appointed for you to do.'
- When I couldn't see for the glory of that light, being led by the hand of those who were with me, I came into Damascus.
- One Ananias, a devout man according to the law, well reported of by all the Jews who lived in Damascus,
- came to me, and standing by me said to me, 'Brother Saul, receive your sight!' In that very hour I looked up at him.
- He said, 'The God of our fathers has appointed you to know his will, and to see the Righteous One, and to hear a voice from his mouth.
- For you will be a witness for him to all men of what you have seen and heard.
- Now why do you wait? Arise, be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on the name of the Lord.'
- "It happened that, when I had returned to Jerusalem, and while I prayed in the temple, I fell into a trance,
- and saw him saying to me, 'Hurry and get out of Jerusalem quickly, because they will not receive testimony concerning me from you.'
- I said, 'Lord, they themselves know that I imprisoned and beat in every synagogue those who believed in you.
- When the blood of Stephen, your witness, was shed, I also was standing by, and consenting to his death, and guarding the cloaks of those who killed him.'
- "He said to me, 'Depart, for I will send you out far from here to the Gentiles.'"
- They listened to him until he said that; then they lifted up their voice, and said, "Rid the earth of this fellow, for he isn't fit to live!"
- As they cried out, and threw off their cloaks, and threw dust into the air,
- the commanding officer commanded him to be brought into the barracks, ordering him to be examined by scourging, that he might know for what crime they shouted against him like that.
- When they had tied him up with thongs, Paul asked the centurion who stood by, "Is it lawful for you to scourge a man who is a Roman, and not found guilty?"
- When the centurion heard it, he went to the commanding officer and told him, "Watch what you are about to do, for this man is a Roman!"
- The commanding officer came and asked him, "Tell me, are you a Roman?" He said, "Yes."
- The commanding officer answered, "I bought my citizenship for a great price." Paul said, "But I was born a Roman."
- Immediately those who were about to examine him departed from him, and the commanding officer also was afraid when he realized that he was a Roman, because he had bound him.
- But on the next day, desiring to know the truth about why he was accused by the Jews, he freed him from the bonds, and commanded the chief priests and all the council to come together, and brought Paul down and set him before them.
| Acts 22 Text (Hebrew)
- אנשים אחים ואבות שמעו נא את דברי התנצלותי אליכם׃
- ויהי כשמעם כי הוא מדבר אליהם בלשון עברית ויחשו עוד יותר׃
- ויאמר איש יהודי אנכי נולד בטרסוס אשר בקיליקיא ומגדל בעיר הזאת לרגלי גמליאל ומלמד לפי דקדוקי תורת אבותינו ואהי מקנא לאלהים כמוכם כלכם היום׃
- וארדף את הדרך הזאת עד מות ואהי אסר ומסגיר לכלא אנשים ונשים׃
- כאשר גם יעיד עלי הכהן הגדול וכל בית הזקנים אשר מהם לקחתי מכתבים ואלך אל האחים לדמשק לאסר אף את הנמצאים שמה להביאם ירושלים למען יוסרו׃
- ויהי אנכי הלך וקרב לדמשק כעת צהרים ופתאם נגה עלי מסביב אור גדול מן השמים׃
- ואפל ארצה ואשמע קול מדבר אלי שאול שאול למה תרדפני׃
- ואען ואמר מי אתה אדני ויאמר אלי אני ישוע הנצרי אשר אתה רדפו׃
- והאנשים אשר אתי ראו את האור וייראו ואת קול המדבר אלי לא שמעו׃
- ואמר מה אעשה אדני ויאמר אלי האדון קום לך אל דמשק ושם יאמר לך את כל אשר צוית לעשות׃
- ואני לא יכלתי לראות מפני זהר האור ההוא והאנשים אשר אתי הוליכוני ביד ואבא לדמשק׃
- ואיש חסיד כפי התורה ושמו חנניה אשר קנה לו שם טוב בקרב כל היהודים הישבים שם׃
- ויבא אלי ויעמד ויאמר אלי שאול אחי שוב ראה ובשעה ההיא נפקחו עיני וראיתיהו׃
- ויאמר אלהי אבותינו בחר בך לדעת את רצונו ולראות את הצדיק ולשמע קול מפיהו׃
- כי היו תהיה לו לעד אל כל בני האדם על כל אשר ראית ושמעת׃
- ועתה למה תתמהמה קום והטבל והתרחץ מחטאתיך בקראך בשמו׃
- ויהי בשובי אל ירושלים ואתפלל במקדש ותהי עלי יד יהוה׃
- וארא אותו מדבר אלי חושה צא במהרה מירושלים כי לא יקבלו את עדותך עלי׃
- ואמר הלא הם יודעים את אשר השלכתי אל הכלא והלקיתי בבתי הכנסיות את המאמינים בך׃
- ובהשפך דם אסטפנוס עדך אף אני עמדתי שם חפץ בהרגתו ושומר את בגדי הרגיו׃
- ויאמר אלי לך כי אני אל הגיום עד למרחוק אשלחך׃
- וישמעו אליו עד הדבר הזה וישאו את קולם ויאמרו הסירו איש כזה מעל האדמה כי איננו ראוי כי יחיה׃
- ויהי בהיותם צעקים ומשליכים את בגדיהם מעליהם וזרקים עפר השמימה׃
- ויצו שר האלף להוליכו אל המצד ויאמר לבדקו במלקות למען ידע מדוע המה ככה צעקים עליו׃
- ויהי כאשר אסר להכותו ברצועות ויאמר אל שר המאה העמד עליו האף רשיון לכם להכות איש רומי בלא דין ומשפט׃
- וילך שר המאה כשמעו את הדבר הזה ויגד לשר האלף לאמר ראה מה תעשה כי האיש הזה רומי הוא׃
- ויבא שר האלף ויאמר אמר לי הרומי אתה ויאמר הן׃
- ויען שר האלף אני בכסף רב קניתי לי משפט האזרחות הזאת ויאמר פולוס ואני אף נולדתי בה׃
- אז הרפו ממנו האנשים אשר באו לבדקו וגם שר האלף ירא בדעתו כי רומי הוא והוא אסר אותו׃
- וממחרת בקש לדעת אל נכון על מה שטנים אותו היהודים ויתר מוסרותיו ויצו להביא את ראשי הכהנים ואת כל הסנהדרין ויורד את פולוס ויעמידהו בתוכם׃
| Acts 22 Text (Latin)
- Viri fratres, et patres, audite quam ad vos nunc reddo rationem.
- Cum audissent autem quia hebræa lingua loqueretur ad illos, magis præstiterunt silentium.
- Et dicit : Ego sum vir Judæus, natus in Tarso Ciliciæ, nutritus autem in ista civitate, secus pedes Gamaliel eruditus juxta veritatem paternæ legis, æmulator legis, sicut et vos omnes estis hodie :
- qui hanc viam persecutus sum usque ad mortem, alligans et tradens in custodias viros ac mulieres,
- sicut princeps sacerdotum mihi testimonium reddit, et omnes majores natu, a quibus et epistolas accipiens, ad fratres Damascum pergebam, ut adducerem inde vinctos in Jerusalem ut punirentur.
- Factum est autem, eunte me, et appropinquante Damasco media die, subito de cælo circumfulsit me lux copiosa :
- et decidens in terram, audivi vocem dicentem mihi : Saule, Saule, quid me persequeris ?
- Ego autem respondi : Quis es, Domine ? Dixitque ad me : Ego sum Jesus Nazarenus, quem tu persequeris.
- Et qui mecum erant, lumen quidem viderunt, vocem autem non audierunt ejus qui loquebatur mecum.
- Et dixi : Quid faciam, Domine ? Dominus autem dixit ad me : Surgens vade Damascum : et ibi tibi dicetur de omnibus quæ te oporteat facere.
- Et cum non viderem præ claritate luminis illius, ad manum deductus a comitibus, veni Damascum.
- Ananias autem quidam, vir secundum legem testimonium habens ab omnibus cohabitantibus Judæis,
- veniens ad me, et astans dixit mihi : Saule frater respice. Et ego eadem hora respexi in eum.
- At ille dixit : Deus patrum nostrorum præordinavit te, ut cognosceres voluntatem ejus, et videres justum, et audires vocem ex ore ejus :
- quia eris testis illius ad omnes homines eorum quæ vidisti et audisti.
- Et nunc quid moraris ? Exsurge, et baptizare, et ablue peccata tua, invocato nomine ipsius.
- Factum est autem revertenti mihi in Jerusalem, et oranti in templo, fieri me in stupore mentis,
- et videre illum dicentem mihi : Festina, et exi velociter ex Jerusalem : quoniam non recipient testimonium tuum de me.
- Et ego dixi : Domine ipsi sciunt quia ego eram concludens in carcerem, et cædans per synagogas eos qui credebant in te :
- et cum funderetur sanguis Stephani testis tui, ego astabam, et consentiebam, et custodiebam vestimenta interficientium illum.
- Et dixit ad me : Vade quoniam ego in nationes longe mittam te.
- Audiebant autem eum usque ad hoc verbum, et levaverunt vocem suam dicentes : Tolle de terra hujusmodi : non enim fas est eum vivere.
- Vociferantibus autem eis, et projicientibus vestimenta sua, et pulverem jactantibus in aërem,
- jussit tribunus induci eum in castra, et flagellis cædi, et torqueri eum, ut sciret propter quam causam sic acclamarent ei.
- Et cum astrinxissent eum loris, dicit astanti sibi centurioni Paulus : Si hominem Romanum, et indemnatum licet vobis flagellare ?
- Quo audito, centurio accessit ad tribunum, et nuntiavit ei, dicens : Quid acturus es ? hic enim homo civis Romanus est.
- Accedens autem tribunus, dixit illi : Dic mihi si tu Romanus es ? At ille dixit : Etiam.
- Et respondit tribunus : Ego multa summa civilitatem hanc consecutus sum. Et Paulus ait : Ego autem et natus sum.
- Protinus ergo discesserunt ab illo qui eum torturi erant. Tribunus quoque timuit postquam rescivit, quia civis Romanus esset, et quia alligasset eum.
- Postera autem die volens scire diligentius qua ex causa accusaretur a Judæis, solvit eum, et jussit sacerdotes convenire, et omne concilium, et producens Paulum, statuit inter illos.
| Acts 22 Text (KJV)
- Men, brethren, and fathers, hear ye my defence which I make now unto you.
- (And when they heard that he spake in the Hebrew tongue to them, they kept the more silence: and he saith,)
- I am verily a man which am a Jew, born in Tarsus, a city in Cilicia, yet brought up in this city at the feet of Gamaliel, and taught according to the perfect manner of the law of the fathers, and was zealous toward God, as ye all are this day.
- And I persecuted this way unto the death, binding and delivering into prisons both men and women.
- As also the high priest doth bear me witness, and all the estate of the elders: from whom also I received letters unto the brethren, and went to Damascus, to bring them which were there bound unto Jerusalem, for to be punished.
- And it came to pass, that, as I made my journey, and was come nigh unto Damascus about noon, suddenly there shone from heaven a great light round about me.
- And I fell unto the ground, and heard a voice saying unto me, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me?
- And I answered, Who art thou, Lord? And he said unto me, I am Jesus of Nazareth, whom thou persecutest.
- And they that were with me saw indeed the light, and were afraid; but they heard not the voice of him that spake to me.
- And I said, What shall I do, Lord? And the Lord said unto me, Arise, and go into Damascus; and there it shall be told thee of all things which are appointed for thee to do.
- And when I could not see for the glory of that light, being led by the hand of them that were with me, I came into Damascus.
- And one Ananias, a devout man according to the law, having a good report of all the Jews which dwelt there,
- Came unto me, and stood, and said unto me, Brother Saul, receive thy sight. And the same hour I looked up upon him.
- And he said, The God of our fathers hath chosen thee, that thou shouldest know his will, and see that Just One, and shouldest hear the voice of his mouth.
- For thou shalt be his witness unto all men of what thou hast seen and heard.
- And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.
- And it came to pass, that, when I was come again to Jerusalem, even while I prayed in the temple, I was in a trance;
- And saw him saying unto me, Make haste, and get thee quickly out of Jerusalem: for they will not receive thy testimony concerning me.
- And I said, Lord, they know that I imprisoned and beat in every synagogue them that believed on thee:
- And when the blood of thy martyr Stephen was shed, I also was standing by, and consenting unto his death, and kept the raiment of them that slew him.
- And he said unto me, Depart: for I will send thee far hence unto the Gentiles.
- And they gave him audience unto this word, and then lifted up their voices, and said, Away with such a fellow from the earth: for it is not fit that he should live.
- And as they cried out, and cast off their clothes, and threw dust into the air,
- The chief captain commanded him to be brought into the castle, and bade that he should be examined by scourging; that he might know wherefore they cried so against him.
- And as they bound him with thongs, Paul said unto the centurion that stood by, Is it lawful for you to scourge a man that is a Roman, and uncondemned?
- When the centurion heard that, he went and told the chief captain, saying, Take heed what thou doest: for this man is a Roman.
- Then the chief captain came, and said unto him, Tell me, art thou a Roman? He said, Yea.
- And the chief captain answered, With a great sum obtained I this freedom. And Paul said, But I was free born.
- Then straightway they departed from him which should have examined him: and the chief captain also was afraid, after he knew that he was a Roman, and because he had bound him.
- On the morrow, because he would have known the certainty wherefore he was accused of the Jews, he loosed him from his bands, and commanded the chief priests and all their council to appear, and brought Paul down, and set him before them.