| Acts 2 - Versions
| Acts 2 Text (WEB)
- Now when the day of Pentecost had come, they were all with one accord in one place.
- Suddenly there came from the sky a sound like the rushing of a mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.
- Tongues like fire appeared and were distributed to them, and one sat on each of them.
- They were all filled with the Holy Spirit, and began to speak with other languages, as the Spirit gave them the ability to speak.
- Now there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, devout men, from every nation under the sky.
- When this sound was heard, the multitude came together, and were bewildered, because everyone heard them speaking in his own language.
- They were all amazed and marveled, saying to one another, "Behold, aren't all these who speak Galileans?
- How do we hear, everyone in our own native language?
- Parthians, Medes, Elamites, and people from Mesopotamia, Judea, Cappadocia, Pontus, Asia,
- Phrygia, Pamphylia, Egypt, the parts of Libya around Cyrene, visitors from Rome, both Jews and proselytes,
- Cretans and Arabians: we hear them speaking in our languages the mighty works of God!"
- They were all amazed, and were perplexed, saying one to another, "What does this mean?"
- Others, mocking, said, "They are filled with new wine."
- But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and spoke out to them, "You men of Judea, and all you who dwell at Jerusalem, let this be known to you, and listen to my words.
- For these aren't drunken, as you suppose, seeing it is only the third hour of the day.
- But this is what has been spoken through the prophet Joel:
- 'It will be in the last days, says God, that I will pour out my Spirit on all flesh. Your sons and your daughters will prophesy. Your young men will see visions. Your old men will dream dreams.
- Yes, and on my servants and on my handmaidens in those days, I will pour out my Spirit, and they will prophesy.
- I will show wonders in the sky above, and signs on the earth beneath; blood, and fire, and billows of smoke.
- The sun will be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before the great and glorious day of the Lord comes.
- It will be, that whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved.'
- "Men of Israel, hear these words! Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved by God to you by mighty works and wonders and signs which God did by him in the midst of you, even as you yourselves know,
- him, being delivered up by the determined counsel and foreknowledge of God, you have taken by the hand of lawless men, crucified and killed;
- whom God raised up, having freed him from the agony of death, because it was not possible that he should be held by it.
- For David says concerning him, 'I saw the Lord always before my face, For he is on my right hand, that I should not be moved.
- Therefore my heart was glad, and my tongue rejoiced. Moreover my flesh also will dwell in hope;
- because you will not leave my soul in Hades, neither will you allow your Holy One to see decay.
- You made known to me the ways of life. You will make me full of gladness with your presence.'
- "Brothers, I may tell you freely of the patriarch David, that he both died and was buried, and his tomb is with us to this day.
- Therefore, being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him that of the fruit of his body, according to the flesh, he would raise up the Christ to sit on his throne,
- he foreseeing this spoke about the resurrection of the Christ, that neither was his soul left in Hades, nor did his flesh see decay.
- This Jesus God raised up, to which we all are witnesses.
- Being therefore exalted by the right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, he has poured out this, which you now see and hear.
- For David didn't ascend into the heavens, but he says himself, 'The Lord said to my Lord, "Sit by my right hand,
- until I make your enemies a footstool for your feet."'
- "Let all the house of Israel therefore know certainly that God has made him both Lord and Christ, this Jesus whom you crucified."
- Now when they heard this, they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, "Brothers, what shall we do?"
- Peter said to them, "Repent, and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
- For the promise is to you, and to your children, and to all who are far off, even as many as the Lord our God will call to himself."
- With many other words he testified, and exhorted them, saying, "Save yourselves from this crooked generation!"
- Then those who gladly received his word were baptized. There were added that day about three thousand souls.
- They continued steadfastly in the apostles' teaching and fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and prayer.
- Fear came on every soul, and many wonders and signs were done through the apostles.
- All who believed were together, and had all things in common.
- They sold their possessions and goods, and distributed them to all, according as anyone had need.
- Day by day, continuing steadfastly with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread at home, they took their food with gladness and singleness of heart,
- praising God, and having favor with all the people. The Lord added to the assembly day by day those who were being saved.
| Acts 2 Text (Hebrew)
- וביום מלאת שבעת השבעות ויתאספו כלם לב אחד׃
- ויהי פתאם קול רעש מן השמים כקול רוח סערה וימלא את כל הבית אשר ישבו בו׃
- ותראינה אליהם לשנות נחלקות ומראיהן כאש ותנוחינה אחת אחת על כל אחד מהם׃
- וימלאו כלם רוח הקדש ויחלו לדבר בלשנות אחרות כאשר נתנם הרוח להטיף׃
- ובירושלים שכנו יהודים אנשי חסד מכל גוי וגוי אשר תחת השמים׃
- ויהי בהיות קול הרעש ההוא ויקבצו עם רב ויהיו נבכים כי איש איש שמע אתם מדברים בשפת עמו׃
- וישתוממו ויתמהו ויאמרו איש אל רעהו הנה כל אלה המדברים הלא גלילים המה׃
- ואיך אנחנו שמעים אתם איש כשפת ארץ מולדתנו׃
- פרתיים ומדים ועילמים וישבי ארם נהרים יהודה וקפודקיה פנטוס ואסיא׃
- פרוגיא ופמפוליא מצרים וחבל לוב אשר על יד קוריני והבאים מרומי גם יהודים גם גרים׃
- כרתים וערבים הנה אנחנו שמעים אתם מספרים בלשנותינו גדלות האלהים׃
- וישתוממו כלם ויבהלו ויאמרו איש אל אחיו מה תהיה זאת׃
- ואחרים לעגו ויאמרו כי מלאי עסיס המה׃
- אז יעמד פטרוס ועשתי העשר עמו וישא את קולו וידבר אליהם אנשי יהודה וישבי ירושלים כלכם זאת תודע לכם והאזינו אל דברי׃
- כי אלה לא שכורים המה כאשר חשבתם כי שעה שלישית ביום עתה׃
- אבל זה הוא האמור על ידי יואל הנביא׃
- והיה באחרית הימים נאם אלהים אשפך את רוחי על כל בשר ונבאו בניכם ובנתיכם ובחוריכם חזינות יראו וזקניכם חלמות יחלמון׃
- וגם על עבדי ועל שפחותי בימים ההמה אשפך את רוחי ונבאו׃
- ונתתי מופתים בשמים ממעל ואתות בארץ מתחת דם ואש ותימרות עשן׃
- השמש יהפך לחשך והירח לדם לפני בוא יום יהוה הגדול והנורא׃
- והיה כל אשר יקרא בשם יהוה ימלט׃
- אנשי ישראל שמעו הדברים האלה ישוע הנצרי האיש אשר נאמן לכם מאת האלהים בגבורות ובמופתים ובאתות אשר האלהים עשה על ידו בתוככם כאשר ידעתם גם אתם׃
- אתו הנמסר על פי עצת האלהים הנחרצה וידיעתו מקום לקחתם ובידי רשעים הוקעתם והרגתם אתו׃
- והאלהים הקימו מן המתים בהתיר את חבלי המות באשר נמנע מן המות לעצר אתו׃
- כי דוד אמר עליו שויתי יהוה לנגדי תמיד כי מימיני בל אמוט׃
- לכן שמח לבי ויגל כבודי אף בשרי ישכן לבטח׃
- כי לא תעזב נפשי לשאול לא תתן חסידך לראות שחת׃
- תודיעני ארחות חיים שבע שמחות את פניך׃
- אנשים אחים הניחו לי ואדברה באזני כלכם על דוד אבינו אשר גם מת גם נקבר וקבורתו אתנו היא עד היום הזה׃
- והוא בהיותו נביא ומדעתו את השבועה אשר נשבע לו האלהים להקים את המשיח כפי הבשר מפרי חלציו להושיבו על כסאו׃
- לכן בחזותו מראש דבר על תקומת המשיח כי לא נעזבה נפשו לשאול וגם בשרו לא ראה שחת׃
- את ישוע זה הקים אלהים מן המתים ואנחנו כלנו עדיו׃
- ועתה אחרי הנשאו בימין האלהים לקח מאת האב את הבטחת רוח הקדש וישפך את אשר אתם ראים ושמעים׃
- כי דוד לא עלה השמימה והנה הוא אמר נאם יהוה לאדני שב לימיני׃
- עד אשית איביך הדם לרגליך׃
- לכן ידע נא בית ישראל כלו כי לאדון ולמשיח שמו האלהים את ישוע זה אשר צלבתם׃
- ויהי כשמעם התעצבו אל לבם ויאמרו אל פטרוס ואל שאר השליחים אנשים אחים מה עלינו לעשות׃
- ויאמר פטרוס אליהם שובו מדרכיכם והטבלו כל איש מכם על שם ישוע המשיח לסליחת חטאיכם וקבלתם את מתנת רוח הקדש׃
- כי לכם ההבטחה ולבניכם ולכל הרחוקים לכל אשר קרא יהוה אלהינו׃
- ויעד עוד בהם באמרים אחרים הרבה ויזהר אתם לאמר המלטו נא מדור תהפכות הזה׃
- ויקבלו את דברו בשמחה ויטבלו וביום ההוא נוספו כשלשת אלפי נפש׃
- ויהיו שקדים על תורת השליחים ועל ההתחברות ועל בציעת הלחם ועל התפלה׃
- ותפל אימה על כל נפש ומופתים רבים ואתות נעשו על ידי השליחים בירושלים׃
- וכל המאמינים התאחדו יחד ויהי להם הכל בשתפות׃
- ואת אחזתם ואת רכושם מכרו ויחלקו אתם לכלם לאיש איש די מחסורו׃
- ויום יום היו שקדים במקדש לב אחד ויבצעו את הלחם בבית בבית׃
- ויאכלו מזונם בגילה ובתם לבב וישבחו את האלהים וימצאו חן בעיני כל העם והאדון הוסיף יום יום על העדה את הנושעים׃
| Acts 2 Text (Latin)
- Et cum complerentur dies Pentecostes, erant omnes pariter in eodem loco :
- et factus est repente de cælo sonus, tamquam advenientis spiritus vehementis, et replevit totam domum ubi erant sedentes.
- Et apparuerunt illis dispertitæ linguæ tamquam ignis, seditque supra singulos eorum :
- et repleti sunt omnes Spiritu Sancto, et cœperunt loqui variis linguis, prout Spiritus Sanctus dabat eloqui illis.
- Erant autem in Jerusalem habitantes Judæi, viri religiosi ex omni natione, quæ sub cælo est.
- Facta autem hac voce, convenit multitudo, et mente confusa est, quoniam audiebat unusquisque lingua sua illos loquentes.
- Stupebant autem omnes, et mirabantur, dicentes : Nonne ecce omnes isti, qui loquuntur, Galilæi sunt,
- et quomodo nos audivimus unusquisque linguam nostram, in qua nati sumus ?
- Parthi, et Medi, et Ælamitæ, et qui habitant Mespotamiam, Judæam, et Cappadociam, Pontum, et Asiam,
- Phrygiam, et Pamphyliam, Ægyptum, et partes Libyæ, quæ est circa Cyrenen, et advenæ Romani,
- Judæi quoque, et Proselyti, Cretes, et Arabes : audivimus eos loquentes nostris linguis magnalia Dei.
- Stupebant autem omnes, et mirabantur ad invicem, dicentes : Quidnam vult hoc esse ?
- Alii autem irridentes dicebant : Quia musto pleni sunt isti.
- Stans autem Petrus cum undecim, levavit vocem suam, et locutus est eis : Viri Judæi, et qui habitatis Jerusalem universi, hoc vobis notum sit, et auribus percipite verba mea.
- Non enim, sicut vos æstimatis, hi ebrii sunt, cum sit hora diei tertia :
- sed hoc est quod dictum est per prophetam Joël :
- Et erit in novissimis diebus, dicit Dominus, effundam de Spiritu meo super omnem carnem : et prophetabunt filii vestri, et filiæ vestræ, et juvenes vestri visiones videbunt, et seniores vestri somnia somniabunt.
- Et quidem super servos meos, et super ancillas meas, in diebus illis effundam de Spiritu meo, et prophetabunt :
- et dabo prodigia in cælo sursum, et signa in terra deorsum, sanguinem, et ignem, et vaporem fumi :
- sol convertetur in tenebras, et luna in sanguinem, antequam veniat dies Domini magnus et manifestus.
- Et erit : omnis quicumque invocaverit nomen Domini, salvus erit.
- Viri Israëlitæ, audite verba hæc : Jesum Nazarenum, virum approbatum a Deo in vobis, virtutibus, et prodigiis, et signis, quæ fecit Deus per illum in medio vestri, sicut et vos scitis :
- hunc, definito consilio, et præscientia Dei traditum, per manus iniquorum affligentes interemistis :
- quem Deus suscitavit, solutis doloribus inferni, juxta quod impossibile erat teneri illum ab eo.
- David enim dicit in eum : Providebam Dominum in conspectu meo semper : quoniam a dextris est mihi, ne commovear :
- propter hoc lætatum est cor meum, et exsultavit lingua mea, insuper et caro mea requiescet in spe :
- quoniam non derelinques animam meam in inferno, nec dabis sanctum tuum videre corruptionem.
- Notas mihi fecisti vias vitæ : et replebis me jucunditate cum facie tua.
- Viri fratres, liceat audenter dicere ad vos de patriarcha David, quoniam defunctus est, et sepultus : et sepulchrum ejus est apud nos usque in hodiernum diem.
- Propheta igitur cum esset, et sciret quia jurejurando jurasset illi Deus de fructu lumbi ejus sedere super sedem ejus :
- providens locutus est de resurrectione Christi, quia neque derelictus est in inferno, neque caro ejus vidit corruptionem.
- Hunc Jesum resuscitavit Deus, cujus omnes nos testes sumus.
- Dextera igitur Dei exaltatus, et promissione Spiritus Sancti accepta a Patre, effudit hunc, quem vos videtis, et auditis.
- Non enim David ascendit in cælum : dixit autem ipse : Dixit Dominus Domino meo : Sede a dextris meis
- donec ponam inimicos tuos scabellum pedum tuorum.
- Certissime sciat ergo omnis domus Israël, quia et Dominum eum, et Christum fecit Deus, hunc Jesum, quem vos crucifixistis.
- His autem auditis, compuncti sunt corde, et dixerunt ad Petrum, et ad reliquos Apostolos : Quid faciemus, viri fratres ?
- Petrus vero ad illos : Pœnitentiam, inquit, agite, et baptizetur unusquisque vestrum in nomine Jesu Christi in remissionem peccatorum vestrorum : et accipietis donum Spiritus Sancti.
- Vobis enim est repromissio, et filiis vestris, et omnibus qui longe sunt, quoscumque advocaverit Dominus Deus noster.
- Aliis etiam verbis plurimis testificatus est, et exhortabatur eos, dicens : Salvamini a generatione ista prava.
- Qui ergo receperunt sermonem ejus, baptizati sunt : et appositæ sunt in die illa animæ circiter tria millia.
- Erant autem perseverantes in doctrina Apostolorum, et communicatione fractionis panis, et orationibus.
- Fiebat autem omni animæ timor : multa quoque prodigia et signa per Apostolos in Jerusalem fiebant, et metus erat magnus in universis.
- Omnes etiam qui credebant, erant pariter, et habebant omnia communia.
- Possessiones et substantias vendebant, et dividebant illa omnibus, prout cuique opus erat.
- Quotidie quoque perdurantes unanimiter in templo, et frangentes circa domos panem, sumebant cibum cum exsultatione, et simplicitate cordis,
- collaudantes Deum et habentes gratiam ad omnem plebem. Dominus autem augebat qui salvi fierent quotidie in idipsum.
| Acts 2 Text (KJV)
- And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.
- And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.
- And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.
- And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
- And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.
- Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.
- And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?
- And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?
- Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,
- Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,
- Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.
- And they were all amazed, and were in doubt, saying one to another, What meaneth this?
- Others mocking said, These men are full of new wine.
- But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them, Ye men of Judaea, and all ye that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you, and hearken to my words:
- For these are not drunken, as ye suppose, seeing it is but the third hour of the day.
- But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;
- And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God,I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:
- And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy:
- And I will shew wonders in heaven above, and signs in the earth beneath; blood, and fire, and vapour of smoke:
- The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before that great and notable day of the Lord come:
- And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.
- Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know:
- Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain:
- Whom God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it.
- For David speaketh concerning him, I foresaw the Lord always before my face, for he is on my right hand, that I should not be moved:
- Therefore did my heart rejoice, and my tongue was glad; moreover also my flesh shall rest in hope:
- Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.
- Thou hast made known to me the ways of life; thou shalt make me full of joy with thy countenance.
- Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day.
- Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne;
- He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.
- This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses.
- Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear.
- For David is not ascended into the heavens: but he saith himself, The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand,
- Until I make thy foes thy footstool.
- Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.
- Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
- Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
- For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
- And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation.
- Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.
- And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.
- And fear came upon every soul: and many wonders and signs were done by the apostles.
- And all that believed were together, and had all things common;
- And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need.
- And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart,
- Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.
Pentecost was one of the three main annual Jewish feasts, occuring 50 days after the Passover. Since Jesus was crucified in the Passover, and he remained with his disciples for 40 days after his resurrection, this would mean that his disciples had been waiting about 10 days in Jerusalem for the coming of the Holy Spirit as promised by Jesus.
The hearers fell into one of two groups - those who were interested in finding out what was happening, and those who jumped to conclusions saying that the disciples were drunk. Then the Apostle Peter, standing with the eleven other apostles, spoke to the crowd. This is his first speech in acts. He explained that these strange events had been predicted by the prophet Joel (Joel 2:28-32), and that Jesus's coming had been prophesied by David. Peter explained that these events confirmed David's prophesied exaltation of Jesus.
The Old Testament in many places, in addition to the promise in Joel, promised outpouring of the Spirit, which was now being fulfilled. Relevant passages include Numbers 11:29, Jeremiah 31:31 and Ezekiel 36:25-27. John the Baptists had also promised the coming one who would baptize with the Holy Spirit.
Peter continued his first speech by exorting his listeners to repent and turn to Christ. About three thousand responded to Peter's sermon. This was the formation of the early church. These early converts were all Jews. Some were from Judea and others were diaspora Jews. The group they formed became known as "followers of the Way". Formation of religious sects within Judaism was not an unusual event, for example the Essenes were an ascetic group of Jews who existed around that time, and so it may not have initially seemed too unusual that this new group had formed.