| Acts 12 - Versions
| Acts 12 Text (WEB)
- Now about that time, King Herod stretched out his hands to oppress some of the assembly.
- He killed James, the brother of John, with the sword.
- When he saw that it pleased the Jews, he proceeded to seize Peter also. This was during the days of unleavened bread.
- When he had arrested him, he put him in prison, and delivered him to four squads of four soldiers each to guard him, intending to bring him out to the people after the Passover.
- Peter therefore was kept in the prison, but constant prayer was made by the assembly to God for him.
- The same night when Herod was about to bring him out, Peter was sleeping between two soldiers, bound with two chains. Guards in front of the door kept the prison.
- And behold, an angel of the Lord stood by him, and a light shone in the cell. He struck Peter on the side, and woke him up, saying, "Stand up quickly!" His chains fell off from his hands.
- The angel said to him, "Get dressed and put on your sandals." He did so. He said to him, "Put on your cloak, and follow me."
- And he went out and followed him. He didn't know that what was being done by the angel was real, but thought he saw a vision.
- When they were past the first and the second guard, they came to the iron gate that leads into the city, which opened to them by itself. They went out, and went down one street, and immediately the angel departed from him.
- When Peter had come to himself, he said, "Now I truly know that the Lord has sent out his angel and delivered me out of the hand of Herod, and from everything the Jewish people were expecting."
- Thinking about that, he came to the house of Mary, the mother of John whose surname was Mark, where many were gathered together and were praying.
- When Peter knocked at the door of the gate, a maid named Rhoda came to answer.
- When she recognized Peter's voice, she didn't open the gate for joy, but ran in, and reported that Peter was standing in front of the gate.
- They said to her, "You are crazy!" But she insisted that it was so. They said, "It is his angel."
- But Peter continued knocking. When they had opened, they saw him, and were amazed.
- But he, beckoning to them with his hand to be silent, declared to them how the Lord had brought him out of the prison. He said, "Tell these things to James, and to the brothers." Then he departed, and went to another place.
- Now as soon as it was day, there was no small stir among the soldiers about what had become of Peter.
- When Herod had sought for him, and didn't find him, he examined the guards, and commanded that they should be put to death. He went down from Judea to Caesarea, and stayed there.
- Now Herod was very angry with the people of Tyre and Sidon. They came with one accord to him, and, having made Blastus, the king's personal aide, their friend, they asked for peace, because their country depended on the king's country for food.
- On an appointed day, Herod dressed himself in royal clothing, sat on the throne, and gave a speech to them.
- The people shouted, "The voice of a god, and not of a man!"
- Immediately an angel of the Lord struck him, because he didn't give God the glory, and he was eaten by worms and died.
- But the word of God grew and multiplied.
- Barnabas and Saul returned to Jerusalem, when they had fulfilled their service, also taking with them John whose surname was Mark.
| Acts 12 Text (Hebrew)
- בעת ההיא שלח המלך הורדוס את ידו להרע לאנשים מן הקהל׃
- וימת את יעקב אחי יוחנן בחרב׃
- וירא כי טוב הדבר בעיני היהודים ויוסף לתפש גם את פטרוס והימים ימי חג המצות׃
- ויאחז אתו ויתנהו במשמר וימסרהו לארבע מחלקות של ארבעה אנשי צבא לשמרו כי אמר להעלותו אחרי הפסח לפני העם׃
- פטרוס היה עצור במשמר והקהלה העתירה בעדו בחזקה אל האלהים׃
- ויהי בלילה ההוא אשר אמר הורדוס להביאו מחר לדין ויישן פטרוס בין שני אנשי צבא והוא אסור בשנים זקים ושמרי הפתח שמרים את המשמר׃
- והנה מלאך יהוה נצב עליו ואור נגה בחדר ויספק על ירך פטרוס ויעירהו לאמר קום מהרה ויפלו מוסרותיו מעל ידיו׃
- ויאמר אליו המלאך חגר מתניך והנעל את רגליך ויעש כן ויאמר אליו עטה מעילך ולך אחרי׃
- ויצא וילך אחריו ולא ידע אם אמת הוא הנעשה לו על ידי המלאך כי כמראה היה בעיניו׃
- ויעברו דרך המשמרת הראשונה והשניה ויבאו עד שער הברזל אשר יצאו בו העירה ויפתח השער לפניהם מאליו ויצאו החוצה וילכו מהלך רחוב אחד והמלאך סר מעליו פתאם׃
- ויהי בשובו אל דעתו ויאמר פטרוס עתה זה ידעתי באמת כי האלהים שלח את מלאכו ויפלטני מיד הורדוס ומכל מזמת עם היהודים׃
- הוא חשב כזאת והוא בא עד בית מרים אם יוחנן המכנה מרקוס אשר נקהלו שם רבים והם מתפללים יחד׃
- וידפק על דלת השער ותגש נערה להקשיב ושמה רודי׃
- ותכר את קול פטרוס ומשמחתה לא פתחה לו אם דלת השער ותרץ הביתה ותגד להם כי פטרוס עמד על השער׃
- ויאמרו אליה משגעת את והיא מתאמצת כי כן הוא ויאמרו מלאכו הוא׃
- ופטרוס הרבה לדפק ויפתחו ויראהו וישתוממו׃
- והוא רמז להם בידו לחשות ויספר להם את אשר הוציאו האדון מן המשמר ויאמר הגידו את זאת ליעקב ולאחים ויצא וילך לו למקום אחר׃
- הבקר אור ומבוכה לא קטנה היתה בין אנשי הצבא על פטרוס מה היה לו׃
- ויהי כאשר בקש אותו הורדוס ולא מצאו חקר את השמרים ויצו להוציאם למות וירד מיהודה אל קסרין וישב שם׃
- ואיבה היתה בין הורדוס ובין בני צור וצידון ויבאו אליו בלב אחד ויפתו את בלסטוס אשר על חדר המלך ויבקשו שלום יען לקחו מחית ארצותם מארץ המלך׃
- ויהי ביום המועד וילבש הורדוס לבוש מלכות וישב על כסא המשפט ויטף אליהם אמרתו׃
- ויריעו לו העם לאמר קול אלהים הוא ולא קול אדם׃
- ויכהו מלאך יהוה פתאם עקב אשר לא נתן הכבוד לאלהים ויאכלהו תולעים ויגוע׃
- ודבר אלהים הולך ורב׃
- וישובו בר נבא ושאול מירושלים אחרי כלותם את השמוש ויקחו אתם את יוחנן המכנה מרקוס׃
| Acts 12 Text (Latin)
- Eodem autem tempore misit Herodes rex manus, ut affligeret quosdam de ecclesia.
- Occidit autem Jacobum fratrem Joannis gladio.
- Videns autem quia placeret Judæis, apposuit ut apprehenderet et Petrum. Erant autem dies Azymorum.
- Quem cum apprehendisset, misit in carcerem, tradens quatuor quaternionibus militum custodiendum, volens post Pascha producere eum populo.
- Et Petrus quidem servabatur in carcere. Oratio autem fiebant sine intermissione ab ecclesia ad Deum pro eo.
- Cum autem producturus eum esset Herodes, in ipsa nocte erat Petrus dormiens inter duos milites, vinctus catenis duabus : et custodes ante ostium custodiebant carcerem.
- Et ecce angelus Domini astitit : et lumen refulsit in habitaculo : percussoque latere Petri, excitavit eum, dicens : Surge velociter. Et ceciderunt catenæ de manibus ejus.
- Dixit autem angelus ad eum : Præcingere, et calcea te caligas tuas. Et fecit sic. Et dixit illi : Circumda tibi vestimentum tuum, et sequere me.
- Et exiens sequebatur eum, et nesciebat quia verum est, quod fiebat per angelum : existimabat autem se visum videre.
- Transeuntes autem primam et secundam custodiam, venerunt ad portam ferream, quæ ducit ad civitatem : quæ ultro aperta est eis. Et exeuntes processerunt vicum unum : et continuo discessit angelus ab eo.
- Et Petrus ad se reversus, dixit : Nunc scio vere quia misit Dominus angelum suum, et eripuit me de manu Herodis, et de omni exspectatione plebis Judæorum.
- Consideransque venit ad domum Mariæ matris Joannis, qui cognominatus est Marcus, ubi erant multi congregati, et orantes.
- Pulsante autem eo ostium januæ, processit puella ad audiendum, nomine Rhode.
- Et ut cognovit vocem Petri, præ gaudio non aperuit januam, sed intro currens nuntiavit stare Petrum ante januam.
- At illi dixerunt ad eam : Insanis. Illa autem affirmabat sic se habere. Illi autem dicebant : Angelus ejus est.
- Petrus autem perseverabat pulsans. Cum autem aperuissent, viderunt eum, et obstupuerunt.
- Annuens autem eis manu ut tacerent, narravit quomodo Dominus eduxisset eum de carcere, dixitque : Nuntiate Jacobo et fratribus hæc. Et egressus abiit in alium locum.
- Facta autem die, erat non parva turbatio inter milites, quidnam factum esset de Petro.
- Herodes autem cum requisisset eum, et non invenisset, inquisitione facta de custodibus, jussit eos duci : descendensque a Judæa in Cæsaream, ibi commoratus est.
- Erat autem iratus Tyriis et Sidonis. At illi unanimes venerunt ad eum, et persuaso Blasto, qui erat super cubiculum regis, postulabant pacem, eo quod alerentur regiones eorum ab illo.
- Statuto autem die Herodes vestitus veste regia, sedit pro tribunali, et concionabatur ad eos.
- Populus autem acclamabat : Dei voces, et non hominis.
- Confestim autem percussit eum angelus Domini, eo quod non dedisset honorem Deo : et consumptus a vermibus, expiravit.
- Verbum autem Domini crescebat, et multiplicabatur.
- Barnabas autem et Saulus reversi sunt ab Jerosolymis expleto ministerio assumpto Joanne, qui cognominatus est Marcus.
| Acts 12 Text (KJV)
- Now about that time Herod the king stretched forth his hands to vex certain of the church.
- And he killed James the brother of John with the sword.
- And because he saw it pleased the Jews, he proceeded further to take Peter also. (Then were the days of unleavened bread.)
- And when he had apprehended him, he put him in prison, and delivered him to four quaternions of soldiers to keep him; intending after Easter to bring him forth to the people.
- Peter therefore was kept in prison: but prayer was made without ceasing of the church unto God for him.
- And when Herod would have brought him forth, the same night Peter was sleeping between two soldiers, bound with two chains: and the keepers before the door kept the prison.
- And, behold, the angel of the Lord came upon him, and a light shined in the prison: and he smote Peter on the side, and raised him up, saying, Arise up quickly. And his chains fell off from his hands.
- And the angel said unto him, Gird thyself, and bind on thy sandals. And so he did. And he saith unto him, Cast thy garment about thee, and follow me.
- And he went out, and followed him; and wist not that it was true which was done by the angel; but thought he saw a vision.
- When they were past the first and the second ward, they came unto the iron gate that leadeth unto the city; which opened to them of his own accord: and they went out, and passed on through one street; and forthwith the angel departed from him.
- And when Peter was come to himself, he said, Now I know of a surety, that the Lord hath sent his angel, and hath delivered me out of the hand of Herod, and from all the expectation of the people of the Jews.
- And when he had considered the thing, he came to the house of Mary the mother of John, whose surname was Mark; where many were gathered together praying.
- And as Peter knocked at the door of the gate, a damsel came to hearken, named Rhoda.
- And when she knew Peter's voice, she opened not the gate for gladness, but ran in, and told how Peter stood before the gate.
- And they said unto her, Thou art mad. But she constantly affirmed that it was even so. Then said they, It is his angel.
- But Peter continued knocking: and when they had opened the door, and saw him, they were astonished.
- But he, beckoning unto them with the hand to hold their peace, declared unto them how the Lord had brought him out of the prison. And he said, Go shew these things unto James, and to the brethren. And he departed, and went into another place.
- Now as soon as it was day, there was no small stir among the soldiers, what was become of Peter.
- And when Herod had sought for him, and found him not, he examined the keepers, and commanded that they should be put to death. And he went down from Judaea to Caesarea, and there abode.
- And Herod was highly displeased with them of Tyre and Sidon: but they came with one accord to him, and, having made Blastus the king's chamberlain their friend, desired peace; because their country was nourished by the king's country.
- And upon a set day Herod, arrayed in royal apparel, sat upon his throne, and made an oration unto them.
- And the people gave a shout, saying, It is the voice of a god, and not of a man.
- And immediately the angel of the Lord smote him, because he gave not God the glory: and he was eaten of worms, and gave up the ghost.
- But the word of God grew and multiplied.
- And Barnabas and Saul returned from Jerusalem, when they had fulfilled their ministry, and took with them John, whose surname was Mark.