|Acts 1 - Versions
|Acts 1 Text (WEB)
- The first book I wrote, Theophilus, concerned all that Jesus began both to do and to teach,
- until the day in which he was received up, after he had given commandment through the Holy Spirit to the apostles whom he had chosen.
- To these he also showed himself alive after he suffered, by many proofs, appearing to them over a period of forty days, and speaking about God's Kingdom.
- Being assembled together with them, he commanded them, "Don't depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the promise of the Father, which you heard from me.
- For John indeed baptized in water, but you will be baptized in the Holy Spirit not many days from now."
- Therefore, when they had come together, they asked him, "Lord, are you now restoring the kingdom to Israel?"
- He said to them, "It isn't for you to know times or seasons which the Father has set within his own authority.
- But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you. You will be witnesses to me in Jerusalem, in all Judea and Samaria, and to the uttermost parts of the earth."
- When he had said these things, as they were looking, he was taken up, and a cloud received him out of their sight.
- While they were looking steadfastly into the sky as he went, behold, two men stood by them in white clothing,
- who also said, "You men of Galilee, why do you stand looking into the sky? This Jesus, who was received up from you into the sky will come back in the same way as you saw him going into the sky."
- Then they returned to Jerusalem from the mountain called Olivet, which is near Jerusalem, a Sabbath day's journey away.
- When they had come in, they went up into the upper room, where they were staying; that is Peter, John, James, Andrew, Philip, Thomas, Bartholomew, Matthew, James the son of Alphaeus, Simon the Zealot, and Judas the son of James.
- All these with one accord continued steadfastly in prayer and supplication, along with the women, and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brothers.
- In these days, Peter stood up in the midst of the disciples (and the number of names was about one hundred twenty), and said,
- "Brothers, it was necessary that this Scripture should be fulfilled, which the Holy Spirit spoke before by the mouth of David concerning Judas, who was guide to those who took Jesus.
- For he was numbered with us, and received his portion in this ministry.
- Now this man obtained a field with the reward for his wickedness, and falling headlong, his body burst open, and all his intestines gushed out.
- It became known to everyone who lived in Jerusalem that in their language that field was called 'Akeldama,' that is, 'The field of blood.'
- For it is written in the book of Psalms, 'Let his habitation be made desolate. Let no one dwell therein;' and, 'Let another take his office.'
- "Of the men therefore who have accompanied us all the time that the Lord Jesus went in and out among us,
- beginning from the baptism of John, to the day that he was received up from us, of these one must become a witness with us of his resurrection."
- They put forward two, Joseph called Barsabbas, who was surnamed Justus, and Matthias.
- They prayed, and said, "You, Lord, who know the hearts of all men, show which one of these two you have chosen
- to take part in this ministry and apostleship from which Judas fell away, that he might go to his own place."
- They drew lots for them, and the lot fell on Matthias, and he was numbered with the eleven apostles.
|Acts 1 Text (Hebrew)
- הן המאמר הראשון תאופילוס עשיתיהו על כל אשר החל ישוע לעשות וללמד׃
- עד היום אשר לקח למרום אחרי צותו ברוח הקדש את השליחים אשר בחר בהם׃
- ואשר גם התיצב להם חי אחרי ענותו באתות רבות בהראותו אליהם ארבעים יום וידבר על מלכות האלהים׃
- ובאכלו לחם עמהם צוה אתם לבלתי סור מירושלים כי אם להוחיל להבטחת האב אשר שמעתם ממני׃
- כי יוחנן הטביל במים ואתם תטבלו ברוח הקדש בקרוב אחרי הימים האלה׃
- ויהי כאשר נאספו יחדו וישאלהו לאמר אדנינו המשיב אתה בעת הזאת את המלוכה לישראל׃
- ויאמר אליהם לא לכם לדעת העתים והזמנים אשר יעד האב בשלטנו׃
- אבל תקבלו גבורה בבוא עליכם רוח הקדש והייתם עדי בירושלים ובכל יהודה ובשמרון ועד קצה הארץ׃
- ויהי כדברו זאת העלה והם ראים וישאהו ענן מנגד עיניהם׃
- ויביטו אחריו השמימה בעברו והנה שני אנשים לבושי בדים נצבים עליהם׃
- ויאמרו אתם אנשי הגליל מה תעמדו פה ועיניכם השמימה ישוע זה אשר לקח מאתכם השמימה כן בוא יבוא כאשר ראיתם אתו עלה השמימה׃
- ויפנו וילכו ירושלימה מן ההר הנקרא הר הזיתים והוא קרוב לירושלים דרך תחום שבת׃
- ויבאו העירה ויעלו אל העליה אשר היו ישבים בה פטרוס ויעקב ויוחנן ואנדרי פילפוס ותומא בר תלמי ומתי יעקב בן חלפי ושמעון הקנא ויהודה בן יעקב׃
- כל אלה היו שקדים יחדו בלב אחד להתפלל ולהתחנן ועמהם הנשים ומרים אם ישוע וגם אחיו׃
- ובימים האלה קם פטרוס בתוך התלמידים ומספר שמות הנקהלים יחד כמאה ועשרים ויאמר׃
- אנשים אחים מן הצרך היה כי ימלא הכתוב ההוא אשר דבר מקדם רוח הקדש בפי דוד על יהודה אשר היה מוליך את תפשי ישוע׃
- כי היה נמנה אתנו וזכה בגורל השרות הזה׃
- והנה הוא קנה לו שדה במחיר הרשעה ויפל על פניו ארצה ויבקע בתוך וישפכו כל מעיו׃
- וגם נודעה זאת לכל ישבי ירושלים ויקרא בשפתם לשדה ההוא חקל דמא הוא שדה הדם׃
- כי כתוב בספר תהלים תהי טירתו נשמה ואל יהי בה ישב ופקדתו יקח אחר׃
- ועל כן מן הצרך כי מן האנשים האלה אשר התהלכו אתנו כל ימי היות אדנינו ישוע יוצא ובא לפנינו׃
- החל מטבילת יוחנן עד יום הלקחו מאתנו כי אחד מהם יהיה לעד עמנו על קומו מן המתים׃
- ויעמידו שנים את יוסף הנקרא בר שבא והוא מכנה יוסטוס ואת מתיה׃
- ויתפללו ויאמרו אתה אדני היודע כל הלבבות הראה נא מן השנים האלה את האחד אשר בחרת בו׃
- לקחת את גורל השרות הזה והשליחות אשר סר ממנה יהודה להלך אל מקומו׃
- ויפילו גורלות ויפל הגורל על מתיה ויספח אל עשתי עשר השליחים׃
|Acts 1 Text (Latin)
- Primum quidem sermonem feci de omnibus, o Theophile, quæ cœpit Jesus facere, et docere
- usque in diem, qua præcipiens Apostolis per Spiritum Sanctum, quos elegit, assumptus est :
- quibus et præbuit seipsum vivum post passionem suam in multis argumentis, per dies quadraginta apparens eis, et loquens de regno Dei.
- Et convescens, præcepit eis ab Jerosolymis ne discederent, sed exspectarent promissionem Patris, quam audistis (inquit) per os meum :
- quia Joannes quidem baptizavit aqua, vos autem baptizabimini Spiritu Sancto non post multos hos dies.
- Igitur qui convenerant, interrogabant eum, dicentes : Domine, si in tempore hoc restitues regnum Israël ?
- Dixit autem eis : Non est vestrum nosse tempora vel momenta, quæ Pater posuit in sua potestate :
- sed accipietis virtutem supervenientis Spiritus Sancti in vos, et eritis mihi testes in Jerusalem, et in omni Judæa, et Samaria, et usque ad ultimum terræ.
- Et cum hæc dixisset, videntibus illis, elevatus est : et nubes suscepit eum ab oculis eorum.
- Cumque intuerentur in cælum euntem illum, ecce duo viri astiterunt juxta illos in vestibus albis,
- qui et dixerunt : Viri Galilæi, quid statis aspicientes in cælum ? Hic Jesus, qui assumptus est a vobis in cælum, sic veniet quemadmodum vidistis eum euntem in cælum.
- Tunc reversi sunt Jerosolymam a monte qui vocatur Oliveti, qui est juxta Jerusalem, sabbati habens iter.
- Et cum introissent in cœnaculum, ascenderunt ubi manebant Petrus, et Joannes, Jacobus, et Andreas, Philippus, et Thomas, Bartholomæus, et Matthæus, Jacobus Alphæi, et Simon Zelotes, et Judas Jacobi.
- Hi omnes erant perseverantes unanimiter in oratione cum mulieribus, et Maria matre Jesu, et fratribus ejus.
- In diebus illis exsurgens Petrus in medio fratrum dixit (erat autem turba hominum simul, fere centum viginti) :
- Viri fratres, oportet impleri Scripturam, quam prædixit Spiritus Sanctus per os David de Juda, qui fuit dux eorum, qui comprehenderunt Jesum :
- qui connumeratus erat in nobis, et sortitus est sortem ministerii hujus.
- Et hic quidem possedit agrum de mercede iniquitatis, et suspensus crepuit medius : et diffusa sunt omnia viscera ejus.
- Et notum factum est omnibus habitantibus Jerusalem, ita ut appellaretur ager ille, lingua eorum, Haceldama, hoc est, ager sanguinis.
- Scriptum est enim in libro Psalmorum : Fiat commoratio eorum deserta, et non sit qui inhabitet in ea : et episcopatum ejus accipiat alter.
- Oportet ergo ex his viris qui nobiscum sunt congregati in omni tempore, quo intravit et exivit inter nos Dominus Jesus,
- incipiens a baptismate Joannis usque in diem qua assumptus est a nobis, testem resurrectionis ejus nobiscum fieri unum ex istis.
- Et statuerunt duos, Joseph, qui vocabatur Barsabas, qui cognominatus est Justus, et Mathiam.
- Et orantes dixerunt : Tu Domine, qui corda nosti omnium, ostende quem elegeris ex his duobus unum,
- accipere locum ministerii hujus, et apostolatus, de quo prævaricatus est Judas ut abiret in locum suum.
- Et dederunt sortes eis, et cecidit sors super Mathiam, et annumeratus est cum undecim Apostolis.
|Acts 1 Text (KJV)
- The former treatise have I made, O Theophilus, of all that Jesus began both to do and teach,
- Until the day in which he was taken up, after that he through the Holy Ghost had given commandments unto the apostles whom he had chosen:
- To whom also he shewed himself alive after his passion by many infallible proofs, being seen of them forty days, and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God:
- And, being assembled together with them, commanded them that they should not depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the promise of the Father, which, saith he, ye have heard of me.
- For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.
- When they therefore were come together, they asked of him, saying, Lord, wilt thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel?
- And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power.
- But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.
- And when he had spoken these things, while they beheld, he was taken up; and a cloud received him out of their sight.
- And while they looked stedfastly toward heaven as he went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel;
- Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.
- Then returned they unto Jerusalem from the mount called Olivet, which is from Jerusalem a sabbath day's journey.
- And when they were come in, they went up into an upper room, where abode both Peter, and James, and John, and Andrew, Philip, and Thomas, Bartholomew, and Matthew, James the son of Alphaeus, and Simon Zelotes, and Judas the brother of James.
- These all continued with one accord in prayer and supplication, with the women, and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brethren.
- And in those days Peter stood up in the midst of the disciples, and said, (the number of names together were about an hundred and twenty,)
- Men and brethren, this scripture must needs have been fulfilled, which the Holy Ghost by the mouth of David spake before concerning Judas, which was guide to them that took Jesus.
- For he was numbered with us, and had obtained part of this ministry.
- Now this man purchased a field with the reward of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out.
- And it was known unto all the dwellers at Jerusalem; insomuch as that field is called in their proper tongue, Aceldama, that is to say, The field of blood.
- For it is written in the book of Psalms, Let his habitation be desolate, and let no man dwell therein: and his bishoprick let another take.
- Wherefore of these men which have companied with us all the time that the Lord Jesus went in and out among us,
- Beginning from the baptism of John, unto that same day that he was taken up from us, must one be ordained to be a witness with us of his resurrection.
- And they appointed two, Joseph called Barsabas, who was surnamed Justus, and Matthias.
- And they prayed, and said, Thou, Lord, which knowest the hearts of all men, shew whether of these two thou hast chosen,
- That he may take part of this ministry and apostleship, from which Judas by transgression fell, that he might go to his own place.
- And they gave forth their lots; and the lot fell upon Matthias; and he was numbered with the eleven apostles.