| 2 Samuel 16 - Versions
| 2 Samuel 16 Text (WEB)
- When David was a little past the top [of the ascent], behold, Ziba the servant of Mephibosheth met him, with a couple of donkeys saddled, and on them two hundred loaves of bread, and one hundred clusters of raisins, and one hundred summer fruits, and a bottle of wine.
- The king said to Ziba, What do you mean by these? Ziba said, The donkeys are for the king's household to ride on; and the bread and summer fruit for the young men to eat; and the wine, that such as are faint in the wilderness may drink.
- The king said, "Where is your master's son?" Ziba said to the king, "Behold, he is staying in Jerusalem; for he said, 'Today the house of Israel will restore me the kingdom of my father.'"
- Then the king said to Ziba, "Behold, all that pertains to Mephibosheth is yours." Ziba said, "I do obeisance. Let me find favor in your sight, my lord, O king."
- When king David came to Bahurim, behold, a man of the family of the house of Saul came out, whose name was Shimei, the son of Gera. He came out, and cursed still as he came.
- He cast stones at David, and at all the servants of king David, and all the people and all the mighty men were on his right hand and on his left.
- Shimei said when he cursed, "Be gone, be gone, you man of blood, and base fellow!
- Yahweh has returned on you all the blood of the house of Saul, in whose place you have reigned! Yahweh has delivered the kingdom into the hand of Absalom your son! Behold, you are caught by your own mischief, because you are a man of blood!"
- Then Abishai the son of Zeruiah said to the king, "Why should this dead dog curse my lord the king? Please let me go over and take off his head."
- The king said, "What have I to do with you, you sons of Zeruiah? Because he curses, and because Yahweh has said to him, 'Curse David;' who then shall say, 'Why have you done so?'"
- David said to Abishai, and to all his servants, "Behold, my son, who came forth from my bowels, seeks my life. How much more this Benjamite, now? Leave him alone, and let him curse; for Yahweh has invited him.
- It may be that Yahweh will look on the wrong done to me, and that Yahweh will repay me good for the cursing of me today."
- So David and his men went by the way; and Shimei went along on the hillside opposite him, and cursed as he went, threw stones at him, and threw dust.
- The king, and all the people who were with him, came weary; and he refreshed himself there.
- Absalom, and all the people, the men of Israel, came to Jerusalem, and Ahithophel with him.
- It happened, when Hushai the Archite, David's friend, had come to Absalom, that Hushai said to Absalom, "Long live the king! Long live the king!"
- Absalom said to Hushai, "Is this your kindness to your friend? Why didn't you go with your friend?"
- Hushai said to Absalom, "No; but whoever Yahweh, and this people, and all the men of Israel have chosen, his will I be, and with him I will stay.
- Again, whom should I serve? Shouldn't I serve in the presence of his son? As I have served in your father's presence, so will I be in your presence."
- Then Absalom said to Ahithophel, "Give your counsel what we shall do."
- Ahithophel said to Absalom, "Go in to your father's concubines, that he has left to keep the house. Then all Israel will hear that you are abhorred by your father. Then the hands of all who are with you will be strong."
- So they spread Absalom a tent on the top of the house; and Absalom went in to his father's concubines in the sight of all Israel.
- The counsel of Ahithophel, which he gave in those days, was as if a man inquired at the oracle of God: so was all the counsel of Ahithophel both with David and with Absalom.
| 2 Samuel 16 Text (Hebrew)
- ודוד עבר מעט מהראש והנה ציבא נער מפי־בשת לקראתו וצמד חמרים חבשים ועליהם מאתים לחם ומאה צמוקים ומאה קיץ ונבל יין׃
- ויאמר המלך אל־ציבא מה־אלה לך ויאמר ציבא החמורים לבית־המלך לרכב והקיץ לאכול הנערים והיין לשתות היעף במדבר׃
- ויאמר המלך ואיה בן־אדניך ויאמר ציבא אל־המלך הנה יושב בירושלם כי אמר היום ישיבו לי בית ישראל את ממלכות אבי׃
- ויאמר המלך לצבא הנה לך כל אשר למפי־בשת ויאמר ציבא השתחויתי אמצא־חן בעיניך אדני המלך׃
- ובא המלך דוד עד־בחורים והנה משם איש יוצא ממשפחת בית־שאול ושמו שמעי בן־גרא יצא יצוא ומקלל׃
- ויסקל באבנים את־דוד ואת־כל־עבדי המלך דוד וכל־העם וכל־הגברים מימינו ומשמאלו׃
- וכה־אמר שמעי בקללו צא צא איש הדמים ואיש הבליעל׃
- השיב עליך יהוה כל דמי בית־שאול אשר מלכת ויתן יהוה את־המלוכה ביד אבשלום בנך והנך ברעתך כי איש דמים אתה׃
- ויאמר אבישי בן־צרויה אל־המלך למה יקלל הכלב המת הזה את־אדני המלך אעברה־נא ואסירה את־ראשו׃ ס
- ויאמר המלך מה־לי ולכם בני צריה יקלל יהוה אמר לו קלל את־דוד ומי יאמר מדוע עשיתה כן׃ ס
- ויאמר דוד אל־אבישי ואל־כל־עבדיו הנה בני אשר־יצא ממעי מבקש את־נפשי ואף כי־עתה בן־הימיני הנחו לו ויקלל כי אמר־לו יהוה׃
- אולי יראה יהוה והשיב יהוה לי טובה תחת קללתו היום הזה׃
- וילך דוד ואנשיו בדרך ס ושמעי הלך בצלע ההר לעמתו הלוך ויקלל ויסקל באבנים לעמתו ועפר בעפר׃ ף
- ויבא המלך וכל־העם אשר־אתו עיפים וינפש שם׃
- ואבשלום וכל־העם איש ישראל באו ירושלם ואחיתפל אתו׃
- ויהי כאשר־בא חושי הארכי רעה דוד אל־אבשלום ויאמר חושי אל־אבשלם יחי המלך יחי המלך׃
- ויאמר אבשלום אל־חושי זה חסדך את־רעך למה לא־הלכת את־רעך׃
- ויאמר חושי אל־אבשלם לא כי אשר בחר יהוה והעם הזה וכל־איש ישראל אהיה ואתו אשב׃
- והשנית למי אני אעבד הלוא לפני בנו כאשר עבדתי לפני אביך כן אהיה לפניך׃ ף
- ויאמר אבשלום אל־אחיתפל הבו לכם עצה מה־נעשה׃
- ויאמר אחיתפל אל־אבשלם בוא אל־פלגשי אביך אשר הניח לשמור הבית ושמע כל־ישראל כי־נבאשת את־אביך וחזקו ידי כל־אשר אתך׃
- ויטו לאבשלום האהל על־הגג ויבא אבשלום אל־פלגשי אביו לעיני כל־ישראל׃
- ועצת אחיתפל אשר יעץ בימים ההם כאשר ישאל־ בדבר האלהים כן כל־עצת אחיתפל גם־לדוד גם לאבשלם׃ ס
| 2 Samuel 16 Text (Latin)
- Cumque David transisset paululum montis verticem, apparuit Siba puer Miphiboseth in occursum ejus, cum duobus asinis, qui onerati erant ducentis panibus, et centum alligaturis uvæ passæ, et centum massis palatharum, et utre vini.
- Et dixit rex Sibæ : Quid sibi volunt hæc ? Responditque Siba : Asini, domesticis regis ut sedeant : panes et palathæ ad vescendum pueris tuis : vinum autem ut bibat si quis defecerit in deserto.
- Et ait rex : Ubi est filius domini tui ? Responditque Siba regi : Remansit in Jerusalem, dicens : Hodie restituet mihi domus Israël regnum patris mei.
- Et ait rex Sibæ : Tua sint omnia quæ fuerunt Miphiboseth. Dixitque Siba : Oro ut inveniam gratiam coram te, domine mi rex.
- Venit ergo rex David usque Bahurim : et ecce egrediebatur inde vir de cognatione domus Saul, nomine Semei, filius Gera, procedebatque egrediens, et maledicebat,
- mittebatque lapides contra David, et contra universos servos regis David : omnis autem populus, et universi bellatores a dextro et a sinistro latere regis incedebant.
- Ita autem loquebatur Semei cum malediceret regi : Egredere, egredere vir sanguinum, et vir Belial.
- Reddidit tibi Dominus universum sanguinem domus Saul : quoniam invasisti regnum pro eo, et dedit Dominus regnum in manu Absalom filii tui, et ecce premunt te mala tua, quoniam vir sanguinum es.
- Dixit autem Abisai filius Sarviæ regi : Quare maledicit canis hic mortuus domino meo regi ? vadam, et amputabo caput ejus.
- Et ait rex : Quid mihi et vobis est filii Sarviæ ? dimittite eum, ut maledicat : Dominus enim præcepit ei ut malediceret David : et quis est qui audeat dicere, quare sic fecerit ?
- Et ait rex Abisai, et universis servis suis : Ecce filius meus, qui egressus est de utero meo, quærit animam meam : quanto magis nunc filius Jemini ? Dimittite eum ut maledicat juxta præceptum Domini :
- si forte respiciat Dominus afflictionem meam, et reddat mihi Dominus bonum pro maledictione hac hodierna.
- Ambulabat itaque David et socii ejus per viam cum eo. Semei autem per jugum montis ex latere, contra illum gradiebatur, maledicens, et mittens lapides adversum eum, terramque spargens.
- Venit itaque rex, et universus populus cum eo lassus, et refocillati sunt ibi.
- Absalom autem et omnis populus ejus ingressi sunt Jerusalem, sed et Achitophel cum eo.
- Cum autem venisset Chusai Arachites amicus David ad Absalom, locutus est ad eum : Salve rex, salve rex.
- Ad quem Absalom : Hæc est, inquit, gratia tua ad amicum tuum ? quare non ivisti cum amico tuo ?
- Responditque Chusai ad Absalom : Nequaquam : quia illius ero, quem elegit Dominus, et omnis hic populus, et universus Israël, et cum eo manebo.
- Sed ut et hoc inferam, cui ego serviturus sum ? nonne filio regis ? Sicut parui patri tuo, ita parebo et tibi.
- Dixit autem Absalom ad Achitophel : Inite consilium quid agere debeamus.
- Et ait Achitophel ad Absalom : Ingredere ad concubinas patris tui, quas dimisit ad custodiendam domum : ut cum audierit omnis Israël quod fœdaveris patrem tuum, roborentur tecum manus eorum.
- Tetenderunt ergo Absalom tabernaculum in solario, ingressusque est ad concubinas patris sui coram universo Israël.
- Consilium autem Achitophel, quod dabat in diebus illis, quasi si quis consuleret Deum : sic erat omne consilium Achitophel, et cum esset cum David, et cum esset cum Absalom.
| 2 Samuel 16 Text (KJV)
- And when David was a little past the top of the hill, behold, Ziba the servant of Mephibosheth met him, with a couple of asses saddled, and upon them two hundred loaves of bread, and an hundred bunches of raisins, and an hundred of summer fruits, and a bottle of wine.
- And the king said unto Ziba, What meanest thou by these? And Ziba said, The asses be for the king's household to ride on; and the bread and summer fruit for the young men to eat; and the wine, that such as be faint in the wilderness may drink.
- And the king said, And where is thy master's son? And Ziba said unto the king, Behold, he abideth at Jerusalem: for he said, To day shall the house of Israel restore me the kingdom of my father.
- Then said the king to Ziba, Behold, thine are all that pertained unto Mephibosheth. And Ziba said, I humbly beseech thee that I may find grace in thy sight, my lord, O king.
- And when king David came to Bahurim, behold, thence came out a man of the family of the house of Saul, whose name was Shimei, the son of Gera: he came forth, and cursed still as he came.
- And he cast stones at David, and at all the servants of king David: and all the people and all the mighty men were on his right hand and on his left.
- And thus said Shimei when he cursed, Come out, come out, thou bloody man, and thou man of Belial:
- The LORD hath returned upon thee all the blood of the house of Saul, in whose stead thou hast reigned; and the LORD hath delivered the kingdom into the hand of Absalom thy son: and, behold, thou art taken in thy mischief, because thou art a bloody man.
- Then said Abishai the son of Zeruiah unto the king, Why should this dead dog curse my lord the king? let me go over, I pray thee, and take off his head.
- And the king said, What have I to do with you, ye sons of Zeruiah? so let him curse, because the LORD hath said unto him, Curse David. Who shall then say, Wherefore hast thou done so?
- And David said to Abishai, and to all his servants, Behold, my son, which came forth of my bowels, seeketh my life: how much more now may this Benjamite do it? let him alone, and let him curse; for the LORD hath bidden him.
- It may be that the LORD will look on mine affliction, and that the LORD will requite me good for his cursing this day.
- And as David and his men went by the way, Shimei went along on the hill's side over against him, and cursed as he went, and threw stones at him, and cast dust.
- And the king, and all the people that were with him, came weary, and refreshed themselves there.
- And Absalom, and all the people the men of Israel, came to Jerusalem, and Ahithophel with him.
- And it came to pass, when Hushai the Archite, David's friend, was come unto Absalom, that Hushai said unto Absalom, God save the king, God save the king.
- And Absalom said to Hushai, Is this thy kindness to thy friend? why wentest thou not with thy friend?
- And Hushai said unto Absalom, Nay; but whom the LORD, and this people, and all the men of Israel, choose, his will I be, and with him will I abide.
- And again, whom should I serve? should I not serve in the presence of his son? as I have served in thy father's presence, so will I be in thy presence.
- Then said Absalom to Ahithophel, Give counsel among you what we shall do.
- And Ahithophel said unto Absalom, Go in unto thy father's concubines, which he hath left to keep the house; and all Israel shall hear that thou art abhorred of thy father: then shall the hands of all that are with thee be strong.
- So they spread Absalom a tent upon the top of the house; and Absalom went in unto his father's concubines in the sight of all Israel.
- And the counsel of Ahithophel, which he counselled in those days, was as if a man had inquired at the oracle of God: so was all the counsel of Ahithophel both with David and with Absalom.