| 2 Samuel 10 - Versions
| 2 Samuel 10 Text (WEB)
- It happened after this, that the king of the children of Ammon died, and Hanun his son reigned in his place.
- David said, "I will show kindness to Hanun the son of Nahash, as his father showed kindness to me." So David sent by his servants to comfort him concerning his father. David's servants came into the land of the children of Ammon.
- But the princes of the children of Ammon said to Hanun their lord, "Do you think that David honors your father, in that he has sent comforters to you? Hasn't David sent his servants to you to search the city, and to spy it out, and to overthrow it?"
- So Hanun took David's servants, and shaved off the one half of their beards, and cut off their garments in the middle, even to their buttocks, and sent them away.
- When they told it to David, he sent to meet them; for the men were greatly ashamed. The king said, "Wait at Jericho until your beards have grown, and then return."
- When the children of Ammon saw that they were become odious to David, the children of Ammon sent and hired the Syrians of Beth Rehob, and the Syrians of Zobah, twenty thousand footmen, and the king of Maacah with one thousand men, and the men of Tob twelve thousand men.
- When David heard of it, he sent Joab, and all the army of the mighty men.
- The children of Ammon came out, and put the battle in array at the entrance of the gate: and the Syrians of Zobah and of Rehob, and the men of Tob and Maacah, were by themselves in the field.
- Now when Joab saw that the battle was set against him before and behind, he chose of all the choice men of Israel, and put them in array against the Syrians:
- The rest of the people he committed into the hand of Abishai his brother; and he put them in array against the children of Ammon.
- He said, "If the Syrians are too strong for me, then you shall help me; but if the children of Ammon are too strong for you, then I will come and help you.
- Be courageous, and let us be strong for our people, and for the cities of our God; and Yahweh do that which seems good to him."
- So Joab and the people who were with him drew near to the battle against the Syrians: and they fled before him.
- When the children of Ammon saw that the Syrians had fled, they likewise fled before Abishai, and entered into the city. Then Joab returned from the children of Ammon, and came to Jerusalem.
- When the Syrians saw that they were defeated by Israel, they gathered themselves together.
- Hadadezer sent, and brought out the Syrians who were beyond the River: and they came to Helam, with Shobach the captain of the army of Hadadezer at their head.
- It was told David; and he gathered all Israel together, and passed over the Jordan, and came to Helam. The Syrians set themselves in array against David, and fought with him.
- The Syrians fled before Israel; and David killed of the Syrians [the men of] seven hundred chariots, and forty thousand horsemen, and struck Shobach the captain of their army, so that he died there.
- When all the kings who were servants to Hadadezer saw that they were defeated before Israel, they made peace with Israel, and served them. So the Syrians feared to help the children of Ammon any more.
| 2 Samuel 10 Text (Hebrew)
- ויהי אחרי־כן וימת מלך בני עמון וימלך חנון בנו תחתיו׃
- ויאמר דוד אעשה־חסד עם־חנון בן־נחש כאשר עשה אביו עמדי חסד וישלח דוד לנחמו ביד־עבדיו אל־אביו ויבאו עבדי דוד ארץ בני עמון׃
- ויאמרו שרי בני־עמון אל־חנון אדניהם המכבד דוד את־אביך בעיניך כי־שלח לך מנחמים הלוא בעבור חקור את־העיר ולרגלה ולהפכה שלח דוד את־עבדיו אליך׃
- ויקח חנון את־עבדי דוד ויגלח את־חצי זקנם ויכרת את־מדויהם בחצי עד שתותיהם וישלחם׃
- ויגדו לדוד וישלח לקראתם כי־היו האנשים נכלמים מאד ויאמר המלך שבו בירחו עד־יצמח זקנכם ושבתם׃
- ויראו בני עמון כי נבאשו בדוד וישלחו בני־עמון וישכרו את־ארם בית־רחוב ואת־ארם צובא עשרים אלף רגלי ואת־מלך מעכה אלף איש ואיש טוב שנים־עשר אלף איש׃
- וישמע דוד וישלח את־יואב ואת כל־הצבא הגברים׃
- ויצאו בני עמון ויערכו מלחמה פתח השער וארם צובא ורחוב ואיש־טוב ומעכה לבדם בשדה׃
- וירא יואב כי־היתה אליו פני המלחמה מפנים ומאחור ויבחר מכל בחורי ויערך לקראת ארם׃
- ואת יתר העם נתן ביד אבשי אחיו ויערך לקראת בני עמון׃
- ויאמר אם־תחזק ארם ממני והיתה לי לישועה ואם־בני עמון יחזקו ממך והלכתי להושיע לך׃
- חזק ונתחזק בעד־עמנו ובעד ערי אלהינו ויהוה יעשה הטוב בעיניו׃
- ויגש יואב והעם אשר עמו למלחמה בארם וינסו מפניו׃
- ובני עמון ראו כי־נס ארם וינסו מפני אבישי ויבאו העיר וישב יואב מעל בני עמון ויבא ירושלם׃
- וירא ארם כי נגף לפני ישראל ויאספו יחד׃
- וישלח הדדעזר ויצא את־ארם אשר מעבר הנהר ויבאו חילם ושובך שר־צבא הדדעזר לפניהם׃
- ויגד לדוד ס ויאסף את־כל־ישראל ויעבר את־הירדן ויבא חלאמה ויערכו ארם לקראת דוד וילחמו עמו׃
- וינס ארם מפני ישראל ויהרג דוד מארם שבע מאות רכב וארבעים אלף פרשים ואת שובך שר־צבאו הכה וימת שם׃
- ויראו כל־המלכים עבדי הדדעזר כי נגפו לפני ישראל וישלמו את־ישראל ויעבדום ויראו ארם להושיע עוד את־בני עמון׃ ף
| 2 Samuel 10 Text (Latin)
- Factum est autem post hæc, ut moreretur rex filiorum Ammon, et regnavit Hanon filius ejus pro eo.
- Dixitque David : Faciam misericordiam cum Hanon filio Naas, sicut fecit pater ejus mecum misericordiam. Misit ergo David, consolans eum per servos suos super patris interitu. Cum autem venissent servi David in terram filiorum Ammon,
- dixerunt principes filiorum Ammon ad Hanon dominum suum : Putas quod propter honorem patris tui miserit David ad te consolatores, et non ideo ut investigaret, et exploraret civitatem, et everteret eam, misit David servos suos ad te ?
- Tulit itaque Hanon servus David, rasitque dimidiam partem barbæ eorum et præscidit vestes eorum medias usque ad nates, et dimisit eos.
- Quod cum nuntiatum esset David, misit in occursum eorum : erant enim viri confusi turpiter valde, et mandavit eis David : Manete in Jericho, donec crescat barba vestra, et tunc revertimini.
- Videntes autem filii Ammon quod injuriam fecissent David, miserunt, et conduxerunt mercede Syrum Rohob, et Syrum Soba, viginti millia peditum, et a rege Maacha mille viros, et ab Istob duodecim millia virorum.
- Quod cum audisset David, misit Joab et omnem exercitum bellatorum.
- Egressi sunt ergo filii Ammon, et direxerunt aciem ante ipsum introitum portæ : Syrus autem Soba, et Rohob, et Istob, et Maacha, seorsum erant in campo.
- Videns igitur Joab quod præparatum esset adversum se prælium, et ex adverso et post tergum, elegit ex omnibus electis Israël, et instruxit aciem contra Syrum :
- reliquam autem partem populi tradidit Abisai fratri suo, qui direxit aciem adversus filios Ammon.
- Et ait Joab : Si prævaluerint adversum me Syri, eris mihi in adjutorium : si autem filii Ammon prævaluerint adversum te, auxiliabor te.
- Esto vir fortis, et pugnemus pro populo nostro, et civitate Dei nostri : Dominus autem faciet quod bonum est in conspectu suo.
- Iniit itaque Joab, et populus qui erat cum eo, certamen contra Syros : qui statim fugerunt a facie ejus.
- Filii autem Ammon videntes quia fugissent Syri, fugerunt et ipsi a facie Abisai, et ingressi sunt civitatem : reversusque est Joab a filiis Ammon, et venit Jerusalem.
- Videntes igitur Syri quoniam corruissent coram Israël, congregati sunt pariter.
- Misitque Adarezer, et eduxit Syros, qui erant trans fluvium, et adduxit eorum exercitum : Sobach autem, magister militiæ Adarezer, erat princeps eorum.
- Quod cum nuntiatum esset David, contraxit omnem Israëlem, et transivit Jordanem, venitque in Helam : et direxerunt aciem Syri ex adverso David, et pugnaverunt contra eum.
- Fugeruntque Syri a facie Israël, et occidit David de Syris septingentos currus, et quadraginta millia equitum : et Sobach principem militiæ percussit : qui statim mortuus est.
- Videntes autem universi reges, qui erant in præsidio Adarezer, se victos esse ab Israël, expaverunt et fugerunt quinquaginta et octo millia coram Israël. Et fecerunt pacem cum Israël : et servierunt eis, timueruntque Syri auxilium præbere ultra filiis Ammon.
| 2 Samuel 10 Text (KJV)
- And it came to pass after this, that the king of the children of Ammon died, and Hanun his son reigned in his stead.
- Then said David, I will shew kindness unto Hanun the son of Nahash, as his father shewed kindness unto me. And David sent to comfort him by the hand of his servants for his father. And David's servants came into the land of the children of Ammon.
- And the princes of the children of Ammon said unto Hanun their lord, Thinkest thou that David doth honour thy father, that he hath sent comforters unto thee? hath not David rather sent his servants unto thee, to search the city, and to spy it out, and to overthrow it?
- Wherefore Hanun took David's servants, and shaved off the one half of their beards, and cut off their garments in the middle, even to their buttocks, and sent them away.
- When they told it unto David, he sent to meet them, because the men were greatly ashamed: and the king said, Tarry at Jericho until your beards be grown, and then return.
- And when the children of Ammon saw that they stank before David, the children of Ammon sent and hired the Syrians of Beth-rehob, and the Syrians of Zoba, twenty thousand footmen, and of king Maacah a thousand men, and of Ish-tob twelve thousand men.
- And when David heard of it, he sent Joab, and all the host of the mighty men.
- And the children of Ammon came out, and put the battle in array at the entering in of the gate: and the Syrians of Zoba, and of Rehob, and Ish-tob, and Maacah, were by themselves in the field.
- When Joab saw that the front of the battle was against him before and behind, he chose of all the choice men of Israel, and put them in array against the Syrians:
- And the rest of the people he delivered into the hand of Abishai his brother, that he might put them in array against the children of Ammon.
- And he said, If the Syrians be too strong for me, then thou shalt help me: but if the children of Ammon be too strong for thee, then I will come and help thee.
- Be of good courage, and let us play the men for our people, and for the cities of our God: and the LORD do that which seemeth him good.
- And Joab drew nigh, and the people that were with him, unto the battle against the Syrians: and they fled before him.
- And when the children of Ammon saw that the Syrians were fled, then fled they also before Abishai, and entered into the city. So Joab returned from the children of Ammon, and came to Jerusalem.
- And when the Syrians saw that they were smitten before Israel, they gathered themselves together.
- And Hadarezer sent, and brought out the Syrians that were beyond the river: and they came to Helam; and Shobach the captain of the host of Hadarezer went before them.
- And when it was told David, he gathered all Israel together, and passed over Jordan, and came to Helam. And the Syrians set themselves in array against David, and fought with him.
- And the Syrians fled before Israel; and David slew the men of seven hundred chariots of the Syrians, and forty thousand horsemen, and smote Shobach the captain of their host, who died there.
- And when all the kings that were servants to Hadarezer saw that they were smitten before Israel, they made peace with Israel, and served them. So the Syrians feared to help the children of Ammon any more.