| 2 Chronicles 25 - Versions
| 2 Chronicles 25 Text (WEB)
- Amaziah was twenty-five years old when he began to reign; and he reigned twenty-nine years in Jerusalem: and his mother's name was Jehoaddan, of Jerusalem.
- He did that which was right in the eyes of Yahweh, but not with a perfect heart.
- Now it happened, when the kingdom was established to him, that he killed his servants who had killed the king his father.
- But he didn't put their children to death, but did according to that which is written in the law in the book of Moses, as Yahweh commanded, saying, "The fathers shall not die for the children, neither shall the children die for the fathers; but every man shall die for his own sin."
- Moreover Amaziah gathered Judah together, and ordered them according to their fathers' houses, under captains of thousands and captains of hundreds, even all Judah and Benjamin: and he numbered them from twenty years old and upward, and found them three hundred thousand chosen men, able to go forth to war, who could handle spear and shield.
- He hired also one hundred thousand mighty men of valor out of Israel for one hundred talents of silver.
- A man of God came to him, saying, "O king, don't let the army of Israel go with you; for Yahweh is not with Israel, with all the children of Ephraim.
- But if you will go, take action, be strong for the battle. God will overthrow you before the enemy; for God has power to help, and to overthrow."
- Amaziah said to the man of God, "But what shall we do for the hundred talents which I have given to the army of Israel?" The man of God answered, "Yahweh is able to give you much more than this."
- Then Amaziah separated them, [to wit], the army that had come to him out of Ephraim, to go home again: therefore their anger was greatly kindled against Judah, and they returned home in fierce anger.
- Amaziah took courage, and led forth his people, and went to the Valley of Salt, and struck of the children of Seir ten thousand.
- [other] ten thousand did the children of Judah carry away alive, and brought them to the top of the rock, and cast them down from the top of the rock, so that they all were broken in pieces.
- But the men of the army whom Amaziah sent back, that they should not go with him to battle, fell on the cities of Judah, from Samaria even to Beth Horon, and struck of them three thousand, and took much spoil.
- Now it happened, after that Amaziah was come from the slaughter of the Edomites, that he brought the gods of the children of Seir, and set them up to be his gods, and bowed down himself before them, and burned incense to them.
- Therefore the anger of Yahweh was kindled against Amaziah, and he sent to him a prophet, who said to him, "Why have you sought after the gods of the people, which have not delivered their own people out of your hand?"
- It happened, as he talked with him, that [the king] said to him, "Have we made you one of the king's counselors? Stop! Why should you be struck down?" Then the prophet stopped, and said, "I know that God has determined to destroy you, because you have done this, and have not listened to my counsel."
- Then Amaziah king of Judah consulted his advisers, and sent to Joash, the son of Jehoahaz the son of Jehu, king of Israel, saying, "Come, let us look one another in the face."
- Joash king of Israel sent to Amaziah king of Judah, saying, "The thistle that was in Lebanon sent to the cedar that was in Lebanon, saying, 'Give your daughter to my son as his wife; then a wild animal that was in Lebanon passed by, and trampled down the thistle.
- You say to yourself that you have struck Edom; and your heart lifts you up to boast. Now stay at home. Why should you meddle with trouble, that you should fall, even you, and Judah with you?'"
- But Amaziah would not listen; for it was of God, that he might deliver them into the hand [of their enemies], because they had sought after the gods of Edom.
- So Joash king of Israel went up; and he and Amaziah king of Judah looked one another in the face at Beth Shemesh, which belongs to Judah.
- Judah was defeated by Israel; and they fled every man to his tent.
- Joash king of Israel took Amaziah king of Judah, the son of Joash the son of Jehoahaz, at Beth Shemesh, and brought him to Jerusalem, and broke down the wall of Jerusalem from the gate of Ephraim to the corner gate, four hundred cubits.
- [He took] all the gold and silver, and all the vessels that were found in the house of God with Obed-Edom, and the treasures of the king's house, the hostages also, and returned to Samaria.
- Amaziah the son of Joash king of Judah lived after the death of Joash son of Jehoahaz king of Israel fifteen years.
- Now the rest of the acts of Amaziah, first and last, behold, aren't they written in the book of the kings of Judah and Israel?
- Now from the time that Amaziah did turn away from following Yahweh they made a conspiracy against him in Jerusalem; and he fled to Lachish: but they sent after him to Lachish, and killed him there.
- They brought him on horses, and buried him with his fathers in the city of Judah.
| 2 Chronicles 25 Text (Hebrew)
- בן־עשרים וחמש שנה מלך אמציהו ועשרים ותשע שנה מלך בירושלם ושם אמו יהועדן מירושלים׃
- ויעש הישר בעיני יהוה רק לא בלבב שלם׃
- ויהי כאשר חזקה הממלכה עליו ויהרג את־עבדיו המכים את־המלך אביו׃
- ואת־בניהם לא המית כי ככתוב בתורה בספר משה אשר־צוה יהוה לאמר לא־ימותו אבות על־בנים ובנים לא־ימותו על־אבות כי איש בחטאו ימותו׃ ף
- ויקבץ אמציהו את־יהודה ויעמידם לבית־אבות לשרי האלפים ולשרי המאות לכל־יהודה ובנימן ויפקדם למבן עשרים שנה ומעלה וימצאם שלש־מאות אלף בחור יוצא צבא אחז רמח וצנה׃
- וישכר מישראל מאה אלף גבור חיל במאה ככר־כסף׃
- ואיש האלהים בא אליו לאמר המלך אל־יבא עמך צבא ישראל כי אין יהוה עם־ישראל כל בני אפרים׃
- כי אם־בא אתה עשה חזק למלחמה יכשילך האלהים לפני אויב כי יש־כח באלהים לעזור ולהכשיל׃
- ויאמר אמציהו לאיש האלהים ומה־לעשות למאת הככר אשר נתתי לגדוד ישראל ויאמר איש האלהים יש ליהוה לתת לך הרבה מזה׃
- ויבדילם אמציהו להגדוד אשר־בא אליו מאפרים ללכת למקוםם ויחר אפם מאד ביהודה וישובו למקוםם בחרי־אף׃ ף
- ואמציהו התחזק וינהג את־עמו וילך גיא המלח ויך את־בני־שעיר עשרת אלפים׃
- ועשרת אלפים חיים שבו בני יהודה ויביאום לראש הסלע וישליכום מראש־הסלע וכלם נבקעו׃ ס
- ובני הגדוד אשר השיב אמציהו מלכת עמו למלחמה ויפשטו בערי יהודה משמרון ועד־בית חורון ויכו מהם שלשת אלפים ויבזו בזה רבה׃ ס
- ויהי אחרי בוא אמציהו מהכות את־אדומים ויבא את־אלהי בני שעיר ויעמידם לו לאלהים ולפניהם ישתחוה ולהם יקטר׃
- ויחר־אף יהוה באמציהו וישלח אליו נביא ויאמר לו למה דרשת את־אלהי העם אשר לא־הצילו את־עםם מידך׃
- ויהי בדברו אליו ויאמר לו הליועץ למלך נתנוך חדל־לך למה יכוך ויחדל הנביא ויאמר ידעתי כי־יעץ אלהים להשחיתך כי־עשית זאת ולא שמעת לעצתי׃ ף
- ויועץ אמציהו מלך יהודה וישלח אל־יואש בן־יהואחז בן־יהוא מלך ישראל לאמר נתראה פנים׃
- וישלח יואש מלך־ישראל אל־אמציהו מלך־יהודה לאמר החוח אשר בלבנון שלח אל־הארז אשר בלבנון לאמר תנה־את־בתך לבני לאשה ותעבר חית השדה אשר בלבנון ותרמס את־החוח׃
- אמרת הנה הכית את־אדום ונשאך לבך להכביד עתה שבה בביתך למה תתגרה ברעה ונפלת אתה ויהודה עמך׃
- ולא־שמע אמציהו כי מהאלהים היא למען תתם ביד כי דרשו את אלהי אדום׃
- ויעל יואש מלך־ישראל ויתראו פנים הוא ואמציהו מלך־יהודה בבית שמש אשר ליהודה׃
- וינגף יהודה לפני ישראל וינסו איש לאהליו׃
- ואת אמציהו מלך־יהודה בן־יואש בן־יהואחז תפש יואש מלך־ישראל בבית שמש ויביאהו ירושלם ויפרץ בחומת ירושלם משער אפרים עד־שער הפונה ארבע מאות אמה׃
- וכל־הזהב והכסף ואת כל־הכלים הנמצאים בבית־האלהים עם־עבד אדום ואת־אצרות בית המלך ואת בני התערבות וישב שמרון׃ ף
- ויחי אמציהו בן־יואש מלך יהודה אחרי מות יואש בן־יהואחז מלך ישראל חמש עשרה שנה׃
- ויתר דברי אמציהו הראשנים והאחרונים הלא הנם כתובים על־ספר מלכי־יהודה וישראל׃
- ומעת אשר־סר אמציהו מאחרי יהוה ויקשרו עליו קשר בירושלם וינס לכישה וישלחו אחריו לכישה וימיתהו שם׃
- וישאהו על־הסוסים ויקברו אתו עם־אבתיו בעיר יהודה׃
| 2 Chronicles 25 Text (Latin)
- Viginti quinque annorum erat Amasias cum regnare cœpisset, et viginti novem annis regnavit in Jerusalem : nomen matris ejus Joadan de Jerusalem.
- Fecitque bonum in conspectu Domini : verumtamen non in corde perfecto.
- Cumque roboratum sibi videret imperium, jugulavit servos, qui occiderant regem patrem suum,
- sed filios eorum non interfecit, sicut scriptum est in libro legis Moysi, ubi præcepit Dominus, dicens : Non occidentur patres pro filiis, neque filii pro patribus suis, sed unusquisque in suo peccato morietur.
- Congregavit igitur Amasias Judam, et constituit eos per familias, tribunosque et centuriones in universo Juda et Benjamin : et recensuit a viginti annis supra, invenitque trecenta millia juvenum, qui egrederentur ad pugnam, et tenerent hastam et clypeum :
- mercede quoque conduxit de Israël centum millia robustorum, centum talentis argenti.
- Venit autem homo Dei ad illum, et ait : O rex, ne egrediatur tecum exercitus Israël : non est enim Dominus cum Israël, et cunctis filiis Ephraim :
- quod si putas in robore exercitus bella consistere, superari te faciet Deus ab hostibus : Dei quippe est et adjuvare, et in fugam convertere.
- Dixitque Amasias ad hominem Dei : Quid ergo fiet de centum talentis, quæ dedi militibus Israël ? Et respondit ei homo Dei : Habet Dominus unde tibi dare possit multo his plura.
- Separavit itaque Amasias exercitum, qui venerat ad eum ex Ephraim, ut reverteretur in locum suum : at illi contra Judam vehementer irati, reversi sunt in regionem suam.
- Porro Amasias confidenter eduxit populum suum, et abiit in vallem Salinarum, percussitque filios Seir decem millia :
- et alia decem millia virorum ceperunt filii Juda, et adduxerunt ad præruptum cujusdam petræ, præcipitaveruntque eos de summo in præceps, qui universi crepuerunt.
- At ille exercitus, quem remiserat Amasias ne secum iret ad prælium, diffusus est in civitatibus Juda a Samaria usque ad Bethoron, et interfectis tribus millibus, diripuit prædam magnam.
- Amasias vero post cædem Idumæorum, et allatos deos filiorum Seir, statuit illos in deos sibi, et adorabat eos, et illis adolebat incensum.
- Quam ob rem iratus Dominus contra Amasiam misit ad illum prophetam, qui diceret ei : Cur adorasti deos, qui non liberaverunt populum suum de manu tua ?
- Cumque hæc ille loqueretur, respondit ei : Num consiliarius regis es ? quiesce, ne interficiam te. Discedensque propheta, Scio, inquit, quod cogitaverit Deus occidere te, quia fecisti hoc malum, et insuper non acquievisti consilio meo.
- Igitur Amasias rex Juda inito pessimo consilio, misit ad Joas filium Joachaz filii Jehu, regem Israël, dicens : Veni, videamus nos mutuo.
- At ille remisit nuntios, dicens : Carduus, qui est in Libano, misit ad cedrum Libani, dicens : Da filiam tuam filio meo uxorem : et ecce bestiæ, quæ erant in silva Libani, transierunt, et conculcaverunt carduum.
- Dixisti : Percussi Edom, et idcirco erigitur cor tuum in superbiam : sede in domo tua : cur malum adversum te provocas, ut cadas et tu, et Juda tecum ?
- Noluit audire Amasias, eo quod Domini esset voluntas ut traderetur in manus hostium propter deos Edom.
- Ascendit igitur Joas rex Israël, et mutuos sibi præbuere conspectus : Amasias autem rex Juda erat in Bethsames Juda :
- corruitque Juda coram Israël, et fugit in tabernacula sua.
- Porro Amasiam regem Juda, filium Joas filii Joachaz, cepit Joas rex Israël in Bethsames, et adduxit in Jerusalem : destruxitque murum ejus a porta Ephraim usque ad portam anguli quadringentis cubitis.
- Omne quoque aurum, et argentum, et universa vasa, quæ repererat in domo Dei, et apud Obededom in thesauris etiam domus regiæ, necnon et filios obsidum, reduxit in Samariam.
- Vixit autem Amasias filius Joas rex Juda, postquam mortuus est Joas filius Joachaz rex Israël, quindecim annis.
- Reliqua autem sermonum Amasiæ priorum et novissimorum scripta sunt in libro regum Juda et Israël.
- Qui postquam recessit a Domino, tetenderunt ei insidias in Jerusalem. Cumque fugisset in Lachis, miserunt, et interfecerunt eum ibi.
- Reportantesque super equos, sepelierunt eum cum patribus suis in civitate David.
| 2 Chronicles 25 Text (KJV)
- Amaziah was twenty and five years old when he began to reign, and he reigned twenty and nine years in Jerusalem. And his mother's name was Jehoaddan of Jerusalem.
- And he did that which was right in the sight of the LORD, but not with a perfect heart.
- Now it came to pass, when the kingdom was established to him, that he slew his servants that had killed the king his father.
- But he slew not their children, but did as it is written in the law in the book of Moses, where the LORD commanded, saying, The fathers shall not die for the children, neither shall the children die for the fathers, but every man shall die for his own sin.
- Moreover Amaziah gathered Judah together, and made them captains over thousands, and captains over hundreds, according to the houses of their fathers, throughout all Judah and Benjamin: and he numbered them from twenty years old and above, and found them three hundred thousand choice men, able to go forth to war, that could handle spear and shield.
- He hired also an hundred thousand mighty men of valour out of Israel for an hundred talents of silver.
- But there came a man of God to him, saying, O king, let not the army of Israel go with thee; for the LORD is not with Israel, to wit, with all the children of Ephraim.
- But if thou wilt go, do it, be strong for the battle: God shall make thee fall before the enemy: for God hath power to help, and to cast down.
- And Amaziah said to the man of God, But what shall we do for the hundred talents which I have given to the army of Israel? And the man of God answered, The LORD is able to give thee much more than this.
- Then Amaziah separated them, to wit, the army that was come to him out of Ephraim, to go home again: wherefore their anger was greatly kindled against Judah, and they returned home in great anger.
- And Amaziah strengthened himself, and led forth his people, and went to the valley of salt, and smote of the chidren of Seir ten thousand.
- And other ten thousand left alive did the children of Judah carry away captive, and brought them unto the top of the rock, and cast them down from the top of the rock, that they all were broken in pieces.
- But the soldiers of the army which Amaziah sent back, that they should not go with him to battle, fell upon the cities of Judah, from Samaria even unto Beth-horon, and smote three thousand of them, and took much spoil.
- Now it came to pass, after that Amaziah was come from the slaughter of the Edomites, that he brought the gods of the children of Seir, and set them up to be his gods, and bowed down himself before them, and burned incense unto them.
- Wherefore the anger of the LORD was kindled against Amaziah, and he sent unto him a prophet, which said unto him, Why hast thou sought after the gods of the people, which could not deliver their own people out of thine hand?
- And it came to pass, as he talked with him, that the king said unto him, Art thou made of the king's counsel? forbear; why shouldest thou be smitten? Then the prophet forbare, and said, I know that God hath determined to destroy thee, because thou hast done this, and hast not hearkened unto my counsel.
- Then Amaziah king of Judah took advice, and sent to Joash, the son of Jehoahaz, the son of Jehu, king of Israel, saying, Come, let us see one another in the face.
- And Joash king of Israel sent to Amaziah king of Judah, saying, The thistle that was in Lebanon sent to the cedar that was in Lebanon, saying, Give thy daughter to my son to wife: and there passed by a wild beast that was in Lebanon, and trode down the thistle.
- Thou sayest, Lo, thou hast smitten the Edomites; and thine heart lifteth thee up to boast: abide now at home; why shouldest thou meddle to thine hurt, that thou shouldest fall, even thou, and Judah with thee?
- But Amaziah would not hear; for it came of God, that he might deliver them into the hand of their enemies, because they sought after the gods of Edom.
- So Joash the king of Israel went up; and they saw one another in the face, both he and Amaziah king of Judah, at Beth-shemesh, which belongeth to Judah.
- And Judah was put to the worse before Israel, and they fled every man to his tent.
- And Joash the king of Israel took Amaziah king of Judah, the son of Joash, the son of Jehoahaz, at Beth-shemesh, and brought him to Jerusalem, and brake down the wall of Jerusalem from the gate of Ephraim to the corner gate, four hundred cubits.
- And he took all the gold and the silver, and all the vessels that were found in the house of God with Obed-edom, and the treasures of the king's house, the hostages also, and returned to Samaria.
- And Amaziah the son of Joash king of Judah lived after the death of Joash son of Jehoahaz king of Israel fifteen years.
- Now the rest of the acts of Amaziah, first and last, behold, are they not written in the book of the kings of Judah and Israel?
- Now after the time that Amaziah did turn away from following the LORD they made a conspiracy against him in Jerusalem; and he fled to Lachish: but they sent to Lachish after him, and slew him there.
- And they brought him upon horses, and buried him with his fathers in the city of Judah.