| 2 Chronicles 21 - Versions
| 2 Chronicles 21 Text (WEB)
- Jehoshaphat slept with his fathers, and was buried with his fathers in the city of David: and Jehoram his son reigned in his place.
- He had brothers, the sons of Jehoshaphat: Azariah, and Jehiel, and Zechariah, and Azariah, and Michael, and Shephatiah; all these were the sons of Jehoshaphat king of Israel.
- Their father gave them great gifts, of silver, and of gold, and of precious things, with fortified cities in Judah: but the kingdom gave he to Jehoram, because he was the firstborn.
- Now when Jehoram was risen up over the kingdom of his father, and had strengthened himself, he killed all his brothers with the sword, and various also of the princes of Israel.
- Jehoram was thirty-two years old when he began to reign; and he reigned eight years in Jerusalem.
- He walked in the way of the kings of Israel, as did the house of Ahab; for he had the daughter of Ahab as wife: and he did that which was evil in the sight of Yahweh.
- However Yahweh would not destroy the house of David, because of the covenant that he had made with David, and as he promised to give a lamp to him and to his children always.
- In his days Edom revolted from under the hand of Judah, and made a king over themselves.
- Then Jehoram passed over with his captains, and all his chariots with him: and he rose up by night, and struck the Edomites who surrounded him, along with the captains of the chariots.
- So Edom revolted from under the hand of Judah to this day: then did Libnah revolt at the same time from under his hand, because he had forsaken Yahweh, the God of his fathers.
- Moreover he made high places in the mountains of Judah, and made the inhabitants of Jerusalem to play the prostitute, and led Judah astray.
- A letter came to him from Elijah the prophet, saying, "Thus says Yahweh, the God of David your father, 'Because you have not walked in the ways of Jehoshaphat your father, nor in the ways of Asa king of Judah,
- but have walked in the way of the kings of Israel, and have made Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem to play the prostitute, like the house of Ahab did, and also have slain your brothers of your father's house, who were better than yourself:
- behold, Yahweh will strike with a great plague your people, and your children, and your wives, and all your substance;
- and you shall have great sickness by disease of your bowels, until your bowels fall out by reason of the sickness, day by day.'"
- Yahweh stirred up against Jehoram the spirit of the Philistines, and of the Arabians who are beside the Ethiopians:
- and they came up against Judah, and broke into it, and carried away all the substance that was found in the king's house, and his sons also, and his wives; so that there was never a son left him, except Jehoahaz, the youngest of his sons.
- After all this Yahweh struck him in his bowels with an incurable disease.
- It happened, in process of time, at the end of two years, that his bowels fell out by reason of his sickness, and he died of severe diseases. His people made no burning for him, like the burning of his fathers.
- Thirty-two years old was he when he began to reign, and he reigned in Jerusalem eight years: and he departed without being desired; and they buried him in the city of David, but not in the tombs of the kings.
| 2 Chronicles 21 Text (Hebrew)
- וישכב יהושפט עם־אבתיו ויקבר עם־אבתיו בעיר דויד וימלך יהורם בנו תחתיו׃
- ולו־אחים בני יהושפט עזריה ויחיאל וזכריהו ועזריהו ומיכאל ושפטיהו כל־אלה בני יהושפט מלך־ישראל׃
- ויתן להם אביהם מתנות רבות לכסף ולזהב ולמגדנות עם־ערי מצרות ביהודה ואת־הממלכה נתן ליהורם כי־הוא הבכור׃ ף
- ויקם יהורם על־ממלכת אביו ויתחזק ויהרג את־כל־אחיו בחרב וגם משרי ישראל׃
- בן־שלשים ושתים שנה יהורם במלכו ושמונה שנים מלך בירושלם׃
- וילך בדרך מלכי ישראל כאשר עשו בית אחאב כי בת־אחאב היתה לו אשה ויעש הרע בעיני יהוה׃
- ולא־אבה יהוה להשחית את־בית דויד למען הברית אשר כרת לדויד וכאשר אמר לתת לו ניר ולבניו כל־הימים׃
- בימיו פשע אדום מתחת יד־יהודה וימליכו עליהם מלך׃
- ויעבר יהורם עם־שריו וכל־הרכב עמו ויהי קם לילה ויך את־אדום הסובב אליו ואת שרי הרכב׃
- ויפשע אדום מתחת יד־יהודה עד היום הזה אז תפשע לבנה בעת ההיא מתחת ידו כי עזב את־יהוה אלהי אבתיו׃
- גם־הוא עשה־במות בהרי יהודה ויזן את־ישבי ירושלם וידח את־יהודה׃ ף
- ויבא אליו מכתב מאליהו הנביא לאמר כה אמר יהוה אלהי דויד אביך תחת אשר לא־הלכת בדרכי יהושפט אביך ובדרכי אסא מלך־יהודה׃
- ותלך בדרך מלכי ישראל ותזנה את־יהודה ואת־ישבי ירושלם כהזנות בית אחאב וגם את־אחיך בית־אביך הטובים ממך הרגת׃
- הנה יהוה נגף מגפה גדולה בעמך ובבניך ובנשיך ובכל־רכושך׃
- ואתה בחליים רבים במחלה מעיך עד־יצאו מעיך מן־החלי ימים על־ימים׃
- ויער יהוה על־יהורם את רוח הפלשתים והערבים אשר על־יד כושים׃
- ויעלו ביהודה ויבקעוה וישבו את כל־הרכוש הנמצא לבית־המלך וגם־בניו ונשיו ולא נשאר־לו בן כי אם־יהואחז קטן בניו׃
- ואחרי כל־זאת נגפו יהוה במעיו לחלי לאין מרפא׃
- ויהי לימים מימים וכעת צאת הקץ לימים שנים יצאו מעיו עם־חליו וימת בתחלאים רעים ולא־עשו לו עמו שרפה כשרפת אבתיו׃
- בן־שלשים ושתים היה במלכו ושמונה שנים מלך בירושלם וילך בלא חמדה ויקברהו בעיר דויד ולא בקברות המלכים׃
| 2 Chronicles 21 Text (Latin)
- Dormivit autem Josaphat cum patribus suis, et sepultus est cum eis in civitate David : regnavitque Joram filius ejus pro eo.
- Qui habuit fratres filios Josaphat, Azariam, et Jahiel, et Zachariam, et Azariam, et Michaël, et Saphatiam : omnes hi, filii Josaphat regis Juda.
- Deditque eis pater suus multa munera argenti, et auri, et pensitationes, cum civitatibus munitissimis in Juda : regnum autem tradidit Joram, eo quod esset primogenitus.
- Surrexit ergo Joram super regnum patris sui : cumque se confirmasset, occidit omnes fratres suos gladio, et quosdam de principibus Israël.
- Triginta duorum annorum erat Joram cum regnare cœpisset : et octo annis regnavit in Jerusalem.
- Ambulavitque in viis regum Israël, sicut egerat domus Achab : filia quippe Achab erat uxor ejus : et fecit malum in conspectu Domini.
- Noluit autem Dominus disperdere domum David propter pactum, quod inierat cum eo : et quia promiserat ut daret ei lucernam, et filiis ejus omni tempore.
- In diebus illis rebellavit Edom, ne esset subditus Judæ, et constituit sibi regem.
- Cumque transisset Joram cum principibus suis, et cuncto equitatu, qui erat secum, surrexit nocte, et percussit Edom qui se circumdederat, et omnes duces equitatus ejus.
- Attamen rebellavit Edom, ne esset sub ditione Juda usque ad hanc diem : eo tempore et Lobna recessit ne esset sub manu illius. Dereliquerat enim Dominum Deum patrum suorum :
- insuper et excelsa fabricatus est in urbibus Juda, et fornicari fecit habitatores Jerusalem, et prævaricari Judam.
- Allatæ sunt autem ei litteræ ab Elia propheta, in quibus scriptum erat : Hæc dicit Dominus Deus David patris tui : Quoniam non ambulasti in viis Josaphat patris tui, et in viis Asa regis Juda,
- sed incessisti per iter regum Israël, et fornicari fecisti Judam, et habitatores Jerusalem, imitatus fornicationem domus Achab, insuper et fratres tuos, domum patris tui, meliores te, occidisti :
- ecce Dominus percutiet te plaga magna cum populo tuo, et filiis, et uxoribus tuis, universaque substantia tua.
- Tu autem ægrotabis pessimo languore uteri tui, donec egrediantur vitalia tua paulatim per singulos dies.
- Suscitavit ergo Dominus contra Joram spiritum Philisthinorum, et Arabum, qui confines sunt Æthiopibus :
- et ascenderunt in terram Juda, et vastaverunt eam, diripueruntue cunctam substantiam, quæ inventa est in domo regis, insuper et filios ejus, et uxores : nec remansit ei filius, nisi Joachaz, qui minimus natu erat.
- Et super hæc omnia percussit eum Dominus alvi languore insanabili.
- Cumque diei succederet dies, et temporum spatia volverentur, duorum annorum expletus est circulus : et sic longa consumptus tabe, ita ut egereret etiam viscera sua, languore pariter, et vita caruit. Mortuusque est in infirmitate pessima, et non fecit ei populus secundum morem combustionis, exequias, sicut fecerat majoribus ejus.
- Triginta duorum annorum fuit, cum regnare cœpisset, et octo annis regnavit in Jerusalem. Ambulavitque non recte, et sepelierunt eum in civitate David : verumtamen non in sepulchro regum.
| 2 Chronicles 21 Text (KJV)
- Now Jehoshaphat slept with his fathers, and was buried with his fathers in the city of David. And Jehoram his son reigned in his stead.
- And he had brethren the sons of Jehoshaphat, Azariah, and Jehiel, and Zechariah, and Azariah, and Michael, and Shephatiah: all these were the sons of Jehoshaphat king of Israel.
- And their father gave them great gifts of silver, and of gold, and of precious things, with fenced cities in Judah: but the kingdom gave he to Jehoram; because he was the firstborn.
- Now when Jehoram was risen up to the kingdom of his father, he strengthened himself, and slew all his brethren with the sword, and divers also of the princes of Israel.
- Jehoram was thirty and two years old when he began to reign, and he reigned eight years in Jerusalem.
- And he walked in the way of the kings of Israel, like as did the house of Ahab: for he had the daughter of Ahab to wife: and he wrought that which was evil in the eyes of the LORD.
- Howbeit the LORD would not destroy the house of David, because of the covenant that he had made with David, and as he promised to give a light to him and to his sons for ever.
- In his days the Edomites revolted from under the dominion of Judah, and made themselves a king.
- Then Jehoram went forth with his princes, and all his chariots with him: and he rose up by night, and smote the Edomites which compassed him in, and the captains of the chariots.
- So the Edomites revolted from under the hand of Judah unto this day. The same time also did Libnah revolt from under his hand; because he had forsaken the LORD God of his fathers.
- Moreover he made high places in the mountains of Judah, and caused the inhabitants of Jerusalem to commit fornication, and compelled Judah thereto.
- And there came a writing to him from Elijah the prophet, saying, Thus saith the LORD God of David thy father, Because thou hast not walked in the ways of Jehoshaphat thy father, nor in the ways of Asa king of Judah,
- But hast walked in the way of the kings of Israel, and hast made Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem to go a whoring, like to the whoredoms of the house of Ahab, and also hast slain thy brethren of thy father's house, which were better than thyself:
- Behold, with a great plague will the LORD smite thy people, and thy children, and thy wives, and all thy goods:
- And thou shalt have great sickness by disease of thy bowels, until thy bowels fall out by reason of the sickness day by day.
- Moreover the LORD stirred up against Jehoram the spirit of the Philistines, and of the Arabians, that were near the Ethiopians:
- And they came up into Judah, and brake into it, and carried away all the substance that was found in the king's house, and his sons also, and his wives; so that there was never a son left him, save Jehoahaz, the youngest of his sons.
- And after all this the LORD smote him in his bowels with an incurable disease.
- And it came to pass, that in process of time, after the end of two years, his bowels fell out by reason of his sickness: so he died of sore diseases. And his people made no burning for him, like the burning of his fathers.
- Thirty and two years old was he when he began to reign, and he reigned in Jerusalem eight years, and departed without being desired. Howbeit they buried him in the city of David, but not in the sepulchres of the kings.