|2 Chronicles 14 - Versions
|2 Chronicles 14 Text (WEB)
- So Abijah slept with his fathers, and they buried him in the city of David; and Asa his son reigned in his place. In his days the land was quiet ten years.
- Asa did that which was good and right in the eyes of Yahweh his God:
- for he took away the foreign altars, and the high places, and broke down the pillars, and cut down the Asherim,
- and commanded Judah to seek Yahweh, the God of their fathers, and to do the law and the commandment.
- Also he took away out of all the cities of Judah the high places and the sun images: and the kingdom was quiet before him.
- He built fortified cities in Judah; for the land was quiet, and he had no war in those years, because Yahweh had given him rest.
- For he said to Judah, "Let us build these cities, and make walls around them, with towers, gates, and bars. The land is yet before us, because we have sought Yahweh our God; we have sought him, and he has given us rest on every side." So they built and prospered.
- Asa had an army that bore bucklers and spears, out of Judah three hundred thousand; and out of Benjamin, that bore shields and drew bows, two hundred eighty thousand: all these were mighty men of valor.
- There came out against them Zerah the Ethiopian with an army of a million troops, and three hundred chariots; and he came to Mareshah.
- Then Asa went out to meet him, and they set the battle in array in the valley of Zephathah at Mareshah.
- Asa cried to Yahweh his God, and said, "Yahweh, there is none besides you to help, between the mighty and him who has no strength. Help us, Yahweh our God; for we rely on you, and in your name are we come against this multitude. Yahweh, you are our God. Don't let man prevail against you."
- So Yahweh struck the Ethiopians before Asa, and before Judah; and the Ethiopians fled.
- Asa and the people who were with him pursued them to Gerar: and there fell of the Ethiopians so many that they could not recover themselves; for they were destroyed before Yahweh, and before his army; and they carried away very much booty.
- They struck all the cities around Gerar; for the fear of Yahweh came on them: and they despoiled all the cities; for there was much spoil in them.
- They struck also the tents of livestock, and carried away sheep in abundance, and camels, and returned to Jerusalem.
|2 Chronicles 14 Text (Hebrew)
- וישכב אביה עם־אבתיו ויקברו אתו בעיר דויד וימלך אסא בנו תחתיו בימיו שקטה הארץ עשר שנים׃ ף
- ויעש אסא הטוב והישר בעיני יהוה אלהיו׃
- ויסר את־מזבחות הנכר והבמות וישבר את־המצבות ויגדע את־האשרים׃
- ויאמר ליהודה לדרוש את־יהוה אלהי אבותיהם ולעשות התורה והמצוה׃
- ויסר מכל־ערי יהודה את־הבמות ואת־החמנים ותשקט הממלכה לפניו׃
- ויבן ערי מצורה ביהודה כי־שקטה הארץ ואין־עמו מלחמה בשנים האלה כי־הניח יהוה לו׃
- ויאמר ליהודה נבנה את־הערים האלה ונסב חומה ומגדלים דלתים ובריחים עודנו הארץ לפנינו כי דרשנו את־יהוה אלהינו דרשנו וינח לנו מסביב ויבנו ויצליחו׃ ף
- ויהי לאסא חיל נשא צנה ורמח מיהודה שלש מאות אלף ס ומבנימן נשאי מגן ודרכי קשת מאתים ושמונים אלף כל־אלה גבורי חיל׃
- ויצא אליהם זרח הכושי בחיל אלף אלפים ומרכבות שלש מאות ויבא עד־מרשה׃
- ויצא אסא לפניו ויערכו מלחמה בגיא צפתה למרשה׃
- ויקרא אסא אל־יהוה אלהיו ויאמר יהוה אין־עמך לעזור בין רב לאין כח עזרנו יהוה אלהינו כי־עליך נשענו ובשמך באנו על־ההמון הזה יהוה אלהינו אתה אל־יעצר עמך אנוש׃ ס
- ויגף יהוה את־הכושים לפני אסא ולפני יהודה וינסו הכושים׃
- וירדפם אסא והעם אשר־עמו עד־לגרר ויפל מכושים לאין להם מחיה כי־נשברו לפני־יהוה ולפני מחנהו וישאו שלל הרבה מאד׃
- ויכו את כל־הערים סביבות גרר כי־היה פחד־יהוה עליהם ויבזו את־כל־הערים כי־בזה רבה היתה בהם׃
- וגם־אהלי מקנה הכו וישבו צאן לרב וגמלים וישבו ירושלם׃ ס
|2 Chronicles 14 Text (Latin)
- Dormivit autem Abia cum patribus suis, et sepelierunt eum in civitate David : regnavitque Asa filius ejus pro eo, in cujus diebus quievit terra annis decem.
- Fecit autem Asa quod bonum et placitum erat in conspectu Dei sui, et subvertit altaria peregrini cultus, et excelsa.
- Et confregit statuas, lucosque succidit :
- et præcepit Judæ ut quæreret Dominum Deum patrum suorum, et faceret legem, et universa mandata :
- et abstulit de cunctis urbibus Juda aras, et fana, et regnavit in pace.
- Ædificavit quoque urbes munitas in Juda, quia quietus erat, et nulla temporibus ejus bella surrexerant, pacem Domino largiente.
- Dixit autem Judæ : Ædificemus civitates istas, et vallemus muris, et roboremus turribus, et portis, et seris, donec a bellis quieta sunt omnia, eo quod quæsierimus Dominum Deum patrum nostrorum, et dederit nobis pacem per gyrum. Ædificaverunt igitur, et nullum in exstruendo impedimentum fuit.
- Habuit autem Asa in exercitu suo portantium scuta et hastas de Juda trecenta millia, de Benjamin vero scutariorum et sagittariorum ducenta octoginta millia : omnes isti viri fortissimi.
- Egressus est autem contra eos Zara Æthiops cum exercitu suo, decies centena millia, et curribus trecentis : et venit usque Maresa.
- Porro Asa perrexit obviam ei, et instruxit aciem ad bellum in valle Sephata, quæ est juxta Maresa :
- et invocavit Dominum Deum, et ait : Domine, non est apud te ulla distantia, utrum in paucis auxilieris, an in pluribus. Adjuva nos, Domine Deus noster : in te enim, et in tuo nomine habentes fiduciam venimus contra hanc multitudinem. Domine, Deus noster tu es : non prævaleat contra te homo.
- Exterruit itaque Dominus Æthiopes coram Asa et Juda : fugeruntque Æthiopes.
- Et persecutus est eos Asa, et populus, qui cum eo erat, usque Gerara : et ruerunt Æthiopes usque ad internecionem, quia Domino cædente contriti sunt, et exercitu illius præliante. Tulerunt ergo spolia multa,
- et percusserunt civitates omnes per circuitum Geraræ : grandis quippe cunctos terror invaserat : et diripuerunt urbes, et multam prædam asportaverunt.
- Sed et caulas ovium destruentes, tulerunt pecorum infinitam multitudinem, et camelorum : reversique sunt in Jerusalem.
|2 Chronicles 14 Text (KJV)
- So Abijah slept with his fathers, and they buried him in the city of David: and Asa his son reigned in his stead. In his days the land was quiet ten years.
- And Asa did that which was good and right in the eyes of the LORD his God:
- For he took away the altars of the strange gods, and the high places, and brake down the images, and cut down the groves:
- And commanded Judah to seek the LORD God of their fathers, and to do the law and the commandment.
- Also he took away out of all the cities of Judah the high places and the images: and the kingdom was quiet before him.
- And he built fenced cities in Judah: for the land had rest, and he had no war in those years; because the LORD had given him rest.
- Therefore he said unto Judah, Let us build these cities, and make about them walls, and towers, gates, and bars, while the land is yet before us; because we have sought the LORD our God, we have sought him, and he hath given us rest on every side. So they built and prospered.
- And Asa had an army of men that bare targets and spears, out of Judah three hundred thousand; and out of Benjamin, that bare shields and drew bows, two hundred and fourscore thousand: all these were mighty men of valour.
- And there came out against them Zerah the Ethiopian with an host of a thousand thousand, and three hundred chariots; and came unto Mareshah.
- Then Asa went out against him, and they set the battle in array in the valley of Zephathah at Mareshah.
- And Asa cried unto the LORD his God, and said, LORD, it is nothing with thee to help, whether with many, or with them that have no power: help us, O LORD our God; for we rest on thee, and in thy name we go against this multitude. O LORD, thou art our God; let not man prevail against thee.
- So the LORD smote the Ethiopians before Asa and before Judah; and the Ethiopians fled.
- And Asa and the people that were with him pursued them unto Gerar: and the Ethiopians were overthrown, that they could not recover themselves; for they were destroyed before the LORD, and before his host; and they carried away very much spoil.
- And they smote all the cities round about Gerar; for the fear of the LORD came upon them: and they spoiled all the cities; for there was exceeding much spoil in them.
- They smote also the tents of cattle, and carried away sheep and camels in abundance, and returned to Jerusalem.