|2 Chronicles 10 - Versions
|2 Chronicles 10 Text (WEB)
- Rehoboam went to Shechem; for all Israel were come to Shechem to make him king.
- It happened, when Jeroboam the son of Nebat heard of it, (for he was in Egypt, where he had fled from the presence of king Solomon), that Jeroboam returned out of Egypt.
- They sent and called him; and Jeroboam and all Israel came, and they spoke to Rehoboam, saying,
- "Your father made our yoke grievous: now therefore make you the grievous service of your father, and his heavy yoke which he put on us, lighter, and we will serve you."
- He said to them, "Come again to me after three days." The people departed.
- King Rehoboam took counsel with the old men, who had stood before Solomon his father while he yet lived, saying, "What counsel do you give me to return answer to this people?"
- They spoke to him, saying, "If you are kind to this people, and please them, and speak good words to them, then they will be your servants forever."
- But he forsook the counsel of the old men which they had given him, and took counsel with the young men who had grown up with him, who stood before him.
- He said to them, "What counsel do you give, that we may return answer to this people, who have spoken to me, saying, 'Make the yoke that your father did put on us lighter?'"
- The young men who had grown up with him spoke to him, saying, "Thus you shall tell the people who spoke to you, saying, 'Your father made our yoke heavy, but make it lighter on us;' thus you shall say to them, 'My little finger is thicker than my father's waist.
- Now whereas my father burdened you with a heavy yoke, I will add to your yoke. My father chastised you with whips, but I [will chastise you] with scorpions.'"
- So Jeroboam and all the people came to Rehoboam the third day, as the king asked, saying, "Come to me again the third day."
- The king answered them roughly; and king Rehoboam forsook the counsel of the old men,
- and spoke to them after the counsel of the young men, saying, "My father made your yoke heavy, but I will add to it. My father chastised you with whips, but I will chastise you with scorpions."
- So the king didn't listen to the people; for it was brought about of God, that Yahweh might establish his word, which he spoke by Ahijah the Shilonite to Jeroboam the son of Nebat.
- When all Israel saw that the king didn't listen to them, the people answered the king, saying, "What portion have we in David? Neither have we inheritance in the son of Jesse! Every man to your tents, Israel! Now see to your own house, David." So all Israel departed to their tents.
- But as for the children of Israel who lived in the cities of Judah, Rehoboam reigned over them.
- Then king Rehoboam sent Hadoram, who was over the men subject to forced labor; and the children of Israel stoned him to death with stones. King Rehoboam made speed to get himself up to his chariot, to flee to Jerusalem.
- So Israel rebelled against the house of David to this day.
|2 Chronicles 10 Text (Hebrew)
- וילך רחבעם שכמה כי שכם באו כל־ישראל להמליך אתו׃
- ויהי כשמע ירבעם בן־נבט והוא במצרים אשר ברח מפני שלמה המלך וישב ירבעם ממצרים׃
- וישלחו ויקראו־לו ויבא ירבעם וכל־ישראל וידברו אל־רחבעם לאמר׃
- אביך הקשה את־עלנו ועתה הקל מעבדת אביך הקשה ומעלו הכבד אשר־נתן עלינו ונעבדך׃
- ויאמר אלהם עוד שלשת ימים ושובו אלי וילך העם׃ ס
- ויועץ המלך רחבעם את־הזקנים אשר־היו עמדים לפני שלמה אביו בהיתו חי לאמר איך אתם נועצים להשיב לעם־הזה דבר׃
- וידברו אליו לאמר אם־תהיה לטוב להעם הזה ורציתם ודברת אלהם דברים טובים והיו לך עבדים כל־הימים׃
- ויעזב את־עצת הזקנים אשר יעצהו ויועץ את־הילדים אשר גדלו אתו העמדים לפניו׃
- ויאמר אלהם מה אתם נועצים ונשיב דבר את־העם הזה אשר דברו אלי לאמר הקל מן־העל אשר־נתן אביך עלינו׃
- וידברו אתו הילדים אשר גדלו אתו לאמר כה־תאמר לעם אשר־דברו אליך לאמר אביך הכביד את־עלנו ואתה הקל מעלינו כה תאמר אלהם קטני עבה ממתני אבי׃
- ועתה אבי העמיס עליכם על כבד ואני אסיף על־עלכם אבי יסר אתכם בשוטים ואני בעקרבים׃ ס
- ויבא ירבעם וכל־העם אל־רחבעם ביום השלשי כאשר דבר המלך לאמר שובו אלי ביום השלשי׃
- ויענם המלך קשה ויעזב המלך רחבעם את עצת הזקנים׃
- וידבר אלהם כעצת הילדים לאמר אכביד את־עלכם ואני אסיף עליו אבי יסר אתכם בשוטים ואני בעקרבים׃
- ולא־שמע המלך אל־העם כי־היתה נסבה מעם האלהים למען הקים יהוה את־דברו אשר דבר ביד אחיהו השלוני אל־ירבעם בן־נבט׃
- וכל־ישראל כי לא־שמע המלך להם וישיבו העם את־המלך לאמר מה־לנו חלק בדויד ולא־נחלה בבן־ישי איש לאהליך ישראל עתה ראה ביתך דויד וילך כל־ישראל לאהליו׃ ס
- ובני ישראל הישבים בערי יהודה וימלך עליהם רחבעם׃
- וישלח המלך רחבעם את־הדרם אשר על־המס וירגמו־בו בני־ישראל אבן וימת והמלך רחבעם התאמץ לעלות במרכבה לנוס ירושלם׃ ס
- ויפשעו ישראל בבית דויד עד היום הזה׃ ס
|2 Chronicles 10 Text (Latin)
- Profectus est autem Roboam in Sichem : illuc enim cunctus Israël convenerat ut constituerent eum regem.
- Quod cum audisset Jeroboam filius Nabat, qui erat in Ægypto (fugerat quippe illuc ante Salomonem) statim reversus est.
- Vocaveruntque eum, et venit cum universo Israël, et locuti sunt ad Roboam, dicentes :
- Pater tuus durissimo jugo nos pressit : tu leviora impera patre tuo, qui nobis imposuit gravem servitutem, et paululum de onere subleva, ut serviamus tibi.
- Qui ait : Post tres dies revertimini ad me. Cumque abiisset populus,
- iniit consilium cum senibus, qui steterant coram patre ejus Salomone dum adhuc viveret, dicens : Quid datis consilii ut respondeam populo ?
- Qui dixerunt ei : Si placueris populo huic, et leniveris eos verbis clementibus, servient tibi omni tempore.
- At ille reliquit consilium senum, et cum juvenibus tractare cœpit, qui cum eo nutriti fuerant, et erant in comitatu illius.
- Dixitque ad eos : Quid vobis videtur ? vel respondere quid debeo populo huic, qui dixit mihi : Subleva jugum quod imposuit nobis pater tuus ?
- At illi responderunt ut juvenes, et nutriti cum eo in deliciis, atque dixerunt : Sic loqueris populo, qui dixit tibi : Pater tuus aggravavit jugum nostrum, tu subleva : et sic respondebis ei : Minimus digitus meus grossior est lumbis patris mei.
- Pater meus imposuit vobis grave jugum, et ego majus pondus apponam ; pater meus cecidit vos flagellis, ego vero cædam vos scorpionibus.
- Venit ergo Jeroboam, et universus populus ad Roboam die tertio, sicut præceperat eis.
- Responditque rex dura, derelicto consilio seniorum :
- locutusque est juxta juvenum voluntatem : Pater meus grave vobis imposuit jugum, quod ego gravius faciam ; pater meus cecidit vos flagellis, ego vero cædam vos scorpionibus.
- Et non acquievit populi precibus : erat enim voluntatis Dei ut compleretur sermo ejus, quem locutus fuerat per manum Ahiæ Silonitis ad Jeroboam filium Nabat.
- Populus autem universus rege duriora dicente, sic locutus est ad eum : Non est nobis pars in David, neque hæreditas in filio Isai. Revertere in tabernacula tua, Israël ; tu autem pasce domum tuam David. Et abiit Israël in tabernacula sua.
- Super filios autem Israël, qui habitabant in civitatibus Juda, regnavit Roboam.
- Misitque rex Roboam Aduram, qui præerat tributis, et lapidaverunt eum filii Israël, et mortuus est : porro rex Roboam currum festinavit ascendere, et fugit in Jerusalem.
- Recessitque Israël a domo David, usque ad diem hanc.
|2 Chronicles 10 Text (KJV)
- And Rehoboam went to Shechem: for to Shechem were all Israel come to make him king.
- And it came to pass, when Jeroboam the son of Nebat, who was in Egypt, whither he had fled from the presence of Solomon the king, heard it, that Jeroboam returned out of Egypt.
- And they sent and called him. So Jeroboam and all Israel came and spake to Rehoboam, saying,
- Thy father made our yoke grievous: now therefore ease thou somewhat the grievous servitude of thy father, and his heavy yoke that he put upon us, and we will serve thee.
- And he said unto them, Come again unto me after three days. And the people departed.
- And king Rehoboam took counsel with the old men that had stood before Solomon his father while he yet lived, saying, What counsel give ye me to return answer to this people?
- And they spake unto him, saying, If thou be kind to this people, and please them, and speak good words to them, they will be thy servants for ever.
- But he forsook the counsel which the old men gave him, and took counsel with the young men that were brought up with him, that stood before him.
- And he said unto them, What advice give ye that we may return answer to this people, which have spoken to me, saying, Ease somewhat the yoke that thy father did put upon us?
- And the young men that were brought up with him spake unto him, saying, Thus shalt thou answer the people that spake unto thee, saying, Thy father made our yoke heavy, but make thou it somewhat lighter for us; thus shalt thou say unto them, My little finger shall be thicker than my father's loins.
- For whereas my father put a heavy yoke upon you, I will put more to your yoke: my father chastised you with whips, but I will chastise you with scorpions.
- So Jeroboam and all the people came to Rehoboam on the third day, as the king bade, saying, Come again to me on the third day.
- And the king answered them roughly; and king Rehoboam forsook the counsel of the old men,
- And answered them after the advice of the young men, saying, My father made your yoke heavy, but I will add thereto: my father chastised you with whips, but I will chastise you with scorpions.
- So the king hearkened not unto the people: for the cause was of God, that the LORD might perform his word, which he spake by the hand of Ahijah the Shilonite to Jeroboam the son of Nebat.
- And when all Israel saw that the king would not hearken unto them, the people answered the king, saying, What portion have we in David? and we have none inheritance in the son of Jesse: every man to your tents, O Israel: and now, David, see to thine own house. So all Israel went to their tents.
- But as for the children of Israel that dwelt in the cities of Judah, Rehoboam reigned over them.
- Then king Rehoboam sent Hadoram that was over the tribute; and the children of Israel stoned him with stones, that he died. But king Rehoboam made speed to get him up to his chariot, to flee to Jerusalem.
- And Israel rebelled against the house of David unto this day.