| 1 Samuel 9 - Versions
| 1 Samuel 9 Text (WEB)
- Now there was a man of Benjamin, whose name was Kish, the son of Abiel, the son of Zeror, the son of Becorath, the son of Aphiah, the son of a Benjamite, a mighty man of valor.
- He had a son, whose name was Saul, an impressive young man; and there was not among the children of Israel a better person than he. From his shoulders and upward he was higher than any of the people.
- The donkeys of Kish, Saul's father, were lost. Kish said to Saul his son, "Take now one of the servants with you, and arise, go seek the donkeys."
- He passed through the hill country of Ephraim, and passed through the land of Shalishah, but they didn't find them: then they passed through the land of Shaalim, and there they weren't there: and he passed through the land of the Benjamites, but they didn't find them.
- When they had come to the land of Zuph, Saul said to his servant who was with him, "Come, and let us return, lest my father stop caring about the donkeys, and be anxious for us."
- He said to him, "See now, there is in this city a man of God, and he is a man who is held in honor. All that he says comes surely to pass. Now let us go there. Perhaps he can tell us concerning our journey whereon we go."
- Then Saul said to his servant, "But, behold, if we go, what shall we bring the man? For the bread is spent in our vessels, and there is not a present to bring to the man of God. What do we have?"
- The servant answered Saul again, and said, "Behold, I have in my hand the fourth part of a shekel of silver. I will give that to the man of God, to tell us our way."
- (In earlier times in Israel, when a man went to inquire of God, thus he said, "Come, and let us go to the seer;" for he who is now called a prophet was before called a Seer.)
- Then Saul said to his servant, "Well said. Come, let us go." So they went to the city where the man of God was.
- As they went up the ascent to the city, they found young maidens going out to draw water, and said to them, "Is the seer here?"
- They answered them, and said, "He is. Behold, he is before you. Hurry now, for he has come today into the city; for the people have a sacrifice today in the high place.
- As soon as you have come into the city, you shall immediately find him, before he goes up to the high place to eat; for the people will not eat until he come, because he blesses the sacrifice. Afterwards those who are invited eat. Now therefore go up; for at this time you shall find him."
- They went up to the city; [and] as they came within the city, behold, Samuel came out toward them, to go up to the high place.
- Now Yahweh had revealed to Samuel a day before Saul came, saying,
- "Tomorrow about this time I will send you a man out of the land of Benjamin, and you shall anoint him to be prince over my people Israel; and he shall save my people out of the hand of the Philistines: for I have looked on my people, because their cry has come to me."
- When Samuel saw Saul, Yahweh said to him, "Behold, the man of whom I spoke to you! this same shall have authority over my people."
- Then Saul drew near to Samuel in the gate, and said, "Please tell me where the seer's house is."
- Samuel answered Saul, and said, "I am the seer. Go up before me to the high place, for you shall eat with me today. In the morning I will let you go, and will tell you all that is in your heart.
- As for your donkeys who were lost three days ago, don't set your mind on them; for they are found. For whom is all that is desirable in Israel? Is it not for you, and for all your father's house?"
- Saul answered, "Am I not a Benjamite, of the smallest of the tribes of Israel? And my family the least of all the families of the tribe of Benjamin? Why then do you speak to me like this?"
- Samuel took Saul and his servant, and brought them into the guest room, and made them sit in the best place among those who were invited, who were about thirty persons.
- Samuel said to the cook, "Bring the portion which I gave you, of which I said to you, 'Set it aside.'"
- The cook took up the thigh, and that which was on it, and set it before Saul. Samuel said, "Behold, that which has been reserved! Set it before yourself and eat; because for the appointed time has it been kept for you, for I said, 'I have invited the people.'" So Saul ate with Samuel that day.
- When they had come down from the high place into the city, he talked with Saul on the housetop.
- They arose early: and it happened about the spring of the day, that Samuel called to Saul on the housetop, saying, "Get up, that I may send you away." Saul arose, and they went out both of them, he and Samuel, abroad.
- As they were going down at the end of the city, Samuel said to Saul, "Tell the servant pass on before us" (and he passed on), "but stand still first, that I may cause you to hear the word of God."
| 1 Samuel 9 Text (Hebrew)
- ויהי־איש ־ ושמו קיש בן־אביאל בן־צרור בן־בכורת בן־אפיח בן־איש ימיני גבור חיל׃
- ולו־היה בן ושמו שאול בחור וטוב ואין איש מבני ישראל טוב ממנו משכמו ומעלה גבה מכל־העם׃
- ותאבדנה האתנות לקיש אבי שאול ויאמר קיש אל־שאול בנו קח־נא אתך את־אחד מהנערים וקום לך בקש את־האתנת׃
- ויעבר בהר־אפרים ויעבר בארץ־שלשה ולא מצאו ויעברו בארץ־שעלים ואין ויעבר בארץ־ימיני ולא מצאו׃
- המה באו בארץ צוף ושאול אמר לנערו אשר־עמו לכה ונשובה פן־יחדל אבי מן־האתנות ודאג לנו׃
- ויאמר לו הנה־נא איש־אלהים בעיר הזאת והאיש נכבד כל אשר־ידבר בוא יבוא עתה נלכה שם אולי יגיד לנו את־דרכנו אשר־הלכנו עליה׃
- ויאמר שאול לנערו והנה נלך ומה־נביא לאיש כי הלחם אזל מכלינו ותשורה אין־להביא לאיש האלהים מה אתנו׃
- ויסף הנער לענות את־שאול ויאמר הנה נמצא בידי רבע שקל כסף ונתתי לאיש האלהים והגיד לנו את־דרכנו׃
- לפנים בישראל כה־אמר האיש בלכתו לדרוש אלהים לכו ונלכה עד־הראה כי לנביא היום יקרא לפנים הראה׃
- ויאמר שאול לנערו טוב דברך לכה נלכה וילכו אל־העיר אשר־שם איש האלהים׃
- המה עלים במעלה העיר והמה מצאו נערות יצאות לשאב מים ויאמרו להן היש בזה הראה׃
- ותענינה אותם ותאמרנה יש הנה לפניך מהר עתה כי היום בא לעיר כי זבח היום לעם בבמה׃
- כבאכם העיר כן תמצאון אתו בטרם יעלה הבמתה לאכל כי לא־יאכל העם עד־באו כי־הוא יברך הזבח אחרי־כן יאכלו הקראים ועתה עלו כי־אתו כהיום תמצאון אתו׃
- ויעלו העיר המה באים בתוך העיר והנה שמואל יצא לקראתם לעלות הבמה׃ ס
- ויהוה גלה את־אזן שמואל יום אחד לפני בוא־שאול לאמר׃
- כעת מחר אשלח אליך איש מארץ בנימן ומשחתו לנגיד על־עמי ישראל והושיע את־עמי מיד פלשתים כי ראיתי את־עמי כי באה צעקתו אלי׃
- ושמואל ראה את־שאול ויהוה ענהו הנה האיש אשר אמרתי אליך זה יעצר בעמי׃
- ויגש שאול את־שמואל בתוך השער ויאמר הגידה־נא לי אי־זה בית הראה׃
- ויען שמואל את־שאול ויאמר אנכי הראה עלה לפני הבמה ואכלתם עמי היום ושלחתיך בבקר וכל אשר בלבבך אגיד לך׃
- ולאתנות האבדות לך היום שלשת הימים אל־תשם את־לבך להם כי נמצאו ולמי כל־חמדת ישראל הלוא לך ולכל בית אביך׃ ס
- ויען שאול ויאמר הלוא בן־ימיני אנכי מקטני שבטי ישראל ומשפחתי הצערה מכל־משפחות שבטי בנימן ולמה דברת אלי כדבר הזה׃ ס
- ויקח שמואל את־שאול ואת־נערו ויביאם לשכתה ויתן להם מקום בראש הקרואים והמה כשלשים איש׃
- ויאמר שמואל לטבח תנה את־המנה אשר נתתי לך אשר אמרתי אליך שים אתה עמך׃
- וירם הטבח את־השוק והעליה וישם לפני שאול ויאמר הנה הנשאר שים־לפניך אכל כי למועד שמור־לך לאמר העם קראתי ויאכל שאול עם־שמואל ביום ההוא׃
- וירדו מהבמה העיר וידבר עם־שאול על־הגג׃
- וישכמו ויהי כעלות השחר ויקרא שמואל אל־שאול לאמר קומה ואשלחך ויקם שאול ויצאו שניהם הוא ושמואל החוצה׃
- המה יורדים בקצה העיר ושמואל אמר אל־שאול אמר לנער ויעבר לפנינו ויעבר ואתה עמד כיום ואשמיעך את־דבר אלהים׃ ף
| 1 Samuel 9 Text (Latin)
- Et erat vir de Benjamin nomine Cis, filius Abiel, filii Seror, filii Bechorath, filii Aphia, filii viri Jemini, fortis robore.
- Et erat ei filius vocabulo Saul, electus et bonus : et non erat vir de filiis Israël melior illo : ab humero et sursum eminebat super omnem populum.
- Perierant autem asinæ Cis patris Saul : et dixit Cis ad Saul filium suum : Tolle tecum unum de pueris, et consurgens vade, et quære asinas. Qui cum transissent per montem Ephraim,
- et per terram Salisa, et non invenissent, transierunt etiam per terram Salim, et non erant : sed et per terram Jemini, et minime repererunt.
- Cum autem venissent in terram Suph, dixit Saul ad puerum qui erat cum eo : Veni et revertamur, ne forte dimiserit pater meus asinas, et sollicitus sit pro nobis.
- Qui ait ei : Ecce vir Dei est in civitate hac, vir nobilis : omne quod loquitur, sine ambiguitate venit. Nunc ergo eamus illuc, si forte indicet nobis de via nostra, propter quam venimus.
- Dixitque Saul ad puerum suum : Ecce ibimus : quid feremus ad virum Dei ? panis defecit in sitarciis nostris : et sportulam non habemus, ut demus homini Dei, nec quidquam aliud.
- Rursum puer respondit Sauli, et ait : Ecce inventa est in manu mea quarta pars stateris argenti, demus homini Dei, ut indicet nobis viam nostram.
- (Olim in Israël sic loquebatur unusquisque vadens consulere Deum : Venite, et eamus ad videntem. Qui enim propheta dicitur hodie, vocabatur olim videns.)
- Et dixit Saul ad puerum suum : Optimus sermo tuus. Veni, eamus. Et ierunt in civitatem, in qua erat vir Dei.
- Cumque ascenderent clivum civitatis, invenerunt puellas egredientes ad hauriendam aquam, et dixerunt eis : Num hic est videns ?
- Quæ respondentes, dixerunt illis : Hic est : ecce ante te, festina nunc : hodie enim venit in civitatem, quia sacrificium est hodie populi in excelso.
- Ingredientes urbem, statim invenietis eum antequam ascendat excelsum ad vescendum, neque enim comesurus est populus donec ille veniat : quia ipse benedicit hostiæ, et deinceps comedunt qui vocati sunt. Nunc ergo conscendite, quia hodie reperietis eum.
- Et ascenderunt in civitatem. Cumque illi ambularent in medio urbis, apparuit Samuel egrediens obviam eis, ut ascenderet in excelsum.
- Dominus autem revelaverat auriculam Samuelis ante unam diem quam veniret Saul, dicens :
- Hac ipsa hora, quæ nunc est, cras mittam virum ad te de terra Benjaminm, et unges eum ducem super populum meum Israël : et salvabit populum meum de manu Philisthinorum : quia respexi populum meum, venit enim clamor eorum ad me.
- Cumque aspexisset Samuel Saulem, Dominus dixit ei : Ecce vir quem dixeram tibi, iste dominabitur populo meo.
- Accessit autem Saul ad Samuelem in medio portæ, et ait : Indica, oro, mihi, ubi est domus videntis.
- Et respondit Samuel Sauli dicens : Ego sum videns : ascende ante me in excelsum, ut comedatis mecum hodie, et dimittam te mane : et omnia quæ sunt in corde tuo indicabo tibi.
- Et de asinis, quas nudiustertius perdidisti, ne sollicitus sis, quia inventæ sunt. Et cujus erunt optima quæque Israël ? nonne tibi et omni domui patris tui ?
- Respondens autem Saul, ait : Numquid non filius Jemini ego sum de minima tribu Israël, et cognatio mea novissima inter omnes familias de tribu Benjamin ? quare ergo locutus est mihi sermonem istum ?
- Assumens itaque Samuel Saulem, et puerum ejus, introduxit eos in triclinium, et dedit eis locum in capite eorum qui fuerant invitati : erant enim quasi triginta viri.
- Dixitque Samuel coco : Da partem quam dedi tibi, et præcepi ut reponeres seorsum apud te.
- Levavit autem cocus armum, et posuit ante Saul. Dixitque Samuel : Ecce quod remansit, pone ante te, et comede : quia de industria servatum est tibi, quando populum vocavi. Et comedit Saul cum Samuele in die illa.
- Et descenderunt de excelso in oppidum, et locutus est cum Saule in solario : stravitque Saul in solario, et dormivit.
- Cumque mane surrexissent, et jam elucesceret, vocavit Samuel Saulem in solario, dicens : Surge, et dimittam te. Et surrexit Saul : egressique sunt ambo, ipse videlicet, et Samuel.
- Cumque descenderent in extrema parte civitatis, Samuel dixit ad Saul : Dic puero ut antecedat nos et transeat : tu autem subsiste paulisper, ut indicem tibi verbum Domini.
| 1 Samuel 9 Text (KJV)
- Now there was a man of Benjamin, whose name was Kish, the son of Abiel, the son of Zeror, the son of Bechorath, the son of Aphiah, a Benjamite, a mighty man of power.
- And he had a son, whose name was Saul, a choice young man, and a goodly: and there was not among the children of Israel a goodlier person than he: from his shoulders and upward he was higher than any of the people.
- And the asses of Kish Saul's father were lost. And Kish said to Saul his son, Take now one of the servants with thee, and arise, go seek the asses.
- And he passed through mount Ephraim, and passed through the land of Shalisha, but they found them not: then they passed through the land of Shalim, and there they were not: and he passed through the land of the Benjamites, but they found them not.
- And when they were come to the land of Zuph, Saul said to his servant that was with him, Come, and let us return; lest my father leave caring for the asses, and take thought for us.
- And he said unto him, Behold now, there is in this city a man of God, and he is an honourable man; all that he saith cometh surely to pass: now let us go thither; peradventure he can shew us our way that we should go.
- Then said Saul to his servant, But, behold, if we go, what shall we bring the man? for the bread is spent in our vessels, and there is not a present to bring to the man of God: what have we?
- And the servant answered Saul again, and said, Behold, I have here at hand the fourth part of a shekel of silver: that will I give to the man of God, to tell us our way.
- (Beforetime in Israel, when a man went to inquire of God, thus he spake, Come, and let us go to the seer: for he that is now called a Prophet was beforetime called a Seer.)
- Then said Saul to his servant, Well said; come, let us go. So they went unto the city where the man of God was.
- And as they went up the hill to the city, they found young maidens going out to draw water, and said unto them, Is the seer here?
- And they answered them, and said, He is; behold, he is before you: make haste now, for he came to day to the city; for there is a sacrifice of the people to day in the high place:
- As soon as ye be come into the city, ye shall straightway find him, before he go up to the high place to eat: for the people will not eat until he come, because he doth bless the sacrifice; and afterwards they eat that be bidden. Now therefore get you up; for about this time ye shall find him.
- And they went up into the city: and when they were come into the city, behold, Samuel came out against them, for to go up to the high place.
- Now the LORD had told Samuel in his ear a day before Saul came, saying,
- To morrow about this time I will send thee a man out of the land of Benjamin, and thou shalt anoint him to be captain over my people Israel, that he may save my people out of the hand of the Philistines: for I have looked upon my people, because their cry is come unto me.
- And when Samuel saw Saul, the LORD said unto him, Behold the man whom I spake to thee of! this same shall reign over my people.
- Then Saul drew near to Samuel in the gate, and said, Tell me, I pray thee, where the seer's house is.
- And Samuel answered Saul, and said, I am the seer: go up before me unto the high place; for ye shall eat with me to day, and to morrow I will let thee go, and will tell thee all that is in thine heart.
- And as for thine asses that were lost three days ago, set not thy mind on them; for they are found. And on whom is all the desire of Israel? Is it not on thee, and on all thy father's house?
- And Saul answered and said, Am not I a Benjamite, of the smallest of the tribes of Israel? and my family the least of all the families of the tribe of Benjamin? wherefore then speakest thou so to me?
- And Samuel took Saul and his servant, and brought them into the parlour, and made them sit in the chiefest place among them that were bidden, which were about thirty persons.
- And Samuel said unto the cook, Bring the portion which I gave thee, of which I said unto thee, Set it by thee.
- And the cook took up the shoulder, and that which was upon it, and set it before Saul. And Samuel said, Behold that which is left! set it before thee, and eat: for unto this time hath it been kept for thee since I said, I have invited the people. So Saul did eat with Samuel that day.
- And when they were come down from the high place into the city, Samuel communed with Saul upon the top of the house.
- And they arose early: and it came to pass about the spring of the day, that Samuel called Saul to the top of the house, saying, Up, that I may send thee away. And Saul arose, and they went out both of them, he and Samuel, abroad.
- And as they were going down to the end of the city, Samuel said to Saul, Bid the servant pass on before us, (and he passed on,) but stand thou still a while, that I may shew thee the word of God.