| 1 Samuel 31 - Versions
| 1 Samuel 31 Text (WEB)
- Now the Philistines fought against Israel: and the men of Israel fled from before the Philistines, and fell down slain on Mount Gilboa.
- The Philistines followed hard on Saul and on his sons; and the Philistines killed Jonathan, and Abinadab, and Malchishua, the sons of Saul.
- The battle went hard against Saul, and the archers overtook him; and he was greatly distressed by reason of the archers.
- Then Saul said to his armor bearer, "Draw your sword, and thrust me through with it, lest these uncircumcised come and thrust me through, and abuse me!" But his armor bearer would not; for he was terrified. Therefore Saul took his sword, and fell on it.
- When his armor bearer saw that Saul was dead, he likewise fell on his sword, and died with him.
- So Saul died, and his three sons, and his armor bearer, and all his men, that same day together.
- When the men of Israel who were on the other side of the valley, and those who were beyond the Jordan, saw that the men of Israel fled, and that Saul and his sons were dead, they forsook the cities, and fled; and the Philistines came and lived in them.
- It happened on the next day, when the Philistines came to strip the slain, that they found Saul and his three sons fallen on Mount Gilboa.
- They cut off his head, and stripped off his armor, and sent into the land of the Philistines all around, to carry the news to the house of their idols, and to the people.
- They put his armor in the house of the Ashtaroth; and they fastened his body to the wall of Beth Shan.
- When the inhabitants of Jabesh Gilead heard concerning him that which the Philistines had done to Saul,
- all the valiant men arose, and went all night, and took the body of Saul and the bodies of his sons from the wall of Beth Shan; and they came to Jabesh, and burnt them there.
- They took their bones, and buried them under the tamarisk tree in Jabesh, and fasted seven days.
| 1 Samuel 31 Text (Hebrew)
- ופלשתים נלחמים בישראל וינסו אנשי ישראל מפני פלשתים ויפלו חללים בהר הגלבע׃
- וידבקו פלשתים את־שאול ואת־בניו ויכו פלשתים את־יהונתן ואת־אבינדב ואת־מלכי־שוע בני שאול׃
- ותכבד המלחמה אל־שאול וימצאהו המורים אנשים בקשת ויחל מאד מהמורים׃
- ויאמר שאול לנשא כליו שלף חרבך ודקרני בה פן־יבואו הערלים האלה ודקרני והתעללו־בי ולא אבה נשא כליו כי ירא מאד ויקח שאול את־החרב ויפל עליה׃
- וירא נשא־כליו כי מת שאול ויפל גם־הוא על־חרבו וימת עמו׃
- וימת שאול ושלשת בניו ונשא כליו גם כל־אנשיו ביום ההוא יחדו׃
- ויראו אנשי־ישראל אשר־בעבר העמק ואשר בעבר הירדן כי־נסו אנשי ישראל וכי־מתו שאול ובניו ויעזבו את־הערים וינסו ויבאו פלשתים וישבו בהן׃ ס
- ויהי ממחרת ויבאו פלשתים לפשט את־החללים וימצאו את־שאול ואת־שלשת בניו נפלים בהר הגלבע׃
- ויכרתו את־ראשו ויפשיטו את־כליו וישלחו בארץ־פלשתים סביב לבשר בית עצביהם ואת־העם׃
- וישמו את־כליו בית עשתרות ואת־גויתו תקעו בחומת בית שן׃
- וישמעו אליו ישבי יביש גלעד את אשר־עשו פלשתים לשאול׃
- ויקומו כל־איש חיל וילכו כל־הלילה ויקחו את־גוית שאול ואת גוית בניו מחומת בית שן ויבאו יבשה וישרפו אתם שם׃
- ויקחו את־עצמתיהם ויקברו תחת־האשל ביבשה ויצמו שבעת ימים׃ ף
| 1 Samuel 31 Text (Latin)
- Philisthiim autem pugnabant adversum Israël : et fugerunt viri Israël ante faciem Philisthiim, et ceciderunt interfecti in monte Gelboë.
- Irrueruntque Philisthiim in Saul, et in filios ejus, et percusserunt Jonathan, et Abinadab, et Melchisua filios Saul,
- totumque pondus prælii versum est in Saul : et consecuti sunt eum viri sagittarii, et vulneratus est vehementer a sagittariis.
- Dixitque Saul ad armigerum suum : Evagina gladium tuum, et percute me : ne forte veniant incircumcisi isti, et interficiant me, illudentes mihi. Et noluit armiger ejus : fuerat enim nimio terrore perterritus. Arripuit itaque Saul gladium, et irruit super eum.
- Quod cum vidisset armiger ejus, videlicet quod mortuus esset Saul, irruit etiam ipse super gladium suum, et mortuus est cum eo.
- Mortuus est ergo Saul, et tres filii ejus, et armiger illius, et universi viri ejus in die illa pariter.
- Videntes autem viri Israël, qui erant trans vallem, et trans Jordanem, quod fugissent viri Israëlitæ, et quod mortuus esset Saul, et filii ejus, reliquerunt civitates suas, et fugerunt : veneruntque Philisthiim, et habitaverunt ibi.
- Facta autem die altera, venerunt Philisthiim, ut spoliarent interfectos, et invenerunt Saul et tres filios ejus jacentes in monte Gelboë.
- Et præciderunt caput Saul, et spoliaverunt eum armis : et miserunt in terram Philisthinorum per circuitum, ut annuntiaretur in templo idolorum, et in populis.
- Et posuerunt arma ejus in templo Astaroth, corpus vero ejus suspenderunt in muro Bethsan.
- Quod cum audissent habitatores Jabes Galaad, quæcumque fecerant Philisthiim Saul,
- surrexerunt omnes viri fortissimi, et ambulaverunt tota nocte, et tulerunt cadaver Saul, et cadavera filiorum ejus de muro Bethsan : veneruntque Jabes Galaad, et combusserunt ea ibi :
- et tulerunt ossa eorum, et sepelierunt in nemore Jabes, et jejunaverunt septem diebus.
| 1 Samuel 31 Text (KJV)
- Now the Philistines fought against Israel: and the men of Israel fled from before the Philistines, and fell down slain in mount Gilboa.
- And the Philistines followed hard upon Saul and upon his sons; and the Philistines slew Jonathan, and Abinadab, and Malchi-shua, Saul's sons.
- And the battle went sore against Saul, and the archers hit him; and he was sore wounded of the archers.
- Then said Saul unto his armourbearer, Draw thy sword, and thrust me through therewith; lest these uncircumcised come and thrust me through, and abuse me. But his armourbearer would not; for he was sore afraid. Therefore Saul took a sword, and fell upon it.
- And when his armourbearer saw that Saul was dead, he fell likewise upon his sword, and died with him.
- So Saul died, and his three sons, and his armourbearer, and all his men, that same day together.
- And when the men of Israel that were on the other side of the valley, and they that were on the other side Jordan, saw that the men of Israel fled, and that Saul and his sons were dead, they forsook the cities, and fled; and the Philistines came and dwelt in them.
- And it came to pass on the morrow, when the Philistines came to strip the slain, that they found Saul and his three sons fallen in mount Gilboa.
- And they cut off his head, and stripped off his armour, and sent into the land of the Philistines round about, to publish it in the house of their idols, and among the people.
- And they put his armour in the house of Ashtaroth: and they fastened his body to the wall of Beth-shan.
- And when the inhabitants of Jabesh-gilead heard of that which the Philistines had done to Saul;
- All the valiant men arose, and went all night, and took the body of Saul and the bodies of his sons from the wall of Beth-shan, and came to Jabesh, and burnt them there.
- And they took their bones, and buried them under a tree at Jabesh, and fasted seven days.