|1 Samuel 3 - Versions
|1 Samuel 3 Text (WEB)
- The child Samuel ministered to Yahweh before Eli. The word of Yahweh was precious in those days; there was no frequent vision.
- It happened at that time, when Eli was laid down in his place (now his eyes had begun to grow dim, so that he could not see),
- and the lamp of God hadn't yet gone out, and Samuel had laid down [to sleep], in the temple of Yahweh, where the ark of God was;
- that Yahweh called Samuel; and he said, "Here I am."
- He ran to Eli, and said, "Here I am; for you called me." He said, "I didn't call; lie down again." He went and lay down.
- Yahweh called yet again, "Samuel!" Samuel arose and went to Eli, and said, "Here I am; for you called me." He answered, "I didn't call, my son; lie down again."
- Now Samuel didn't yet know Yahweh, neither was the word of Yahweh yet revealed to him.
- Yahweh called Samuel again the third time. He arose and went to Eli, and said, "Here I am; for you called me." Eli perceived that Yahweh had called the child.
- Therefore Eli said to Samuel, "Go, lie down: and it shall be, if he calls you, that you shall say, 'Speak, Yahweh; for your servant hears.'" So Samuel went and lay down in his place.
- Yahweh came, and stood, and called as at other times, "Samuel! Samuel!" Then Samuel said, "Speak; for your servant hears."
- Yahweh said to Samuel, "Behold, I will do a thing in Israel, at which both the ears of everyone who hears it shall tingle.
- In that day I will perform against Eli all that I have spoken concerning his house, from the beginning even to the end.
- For I have told him that I will judge his house forever, for the iniquity which he knew, because his sons brought a curse on themselves, and he didn't restrain them.
- Therefore I have sworn to the house of Eli, that the iniquity of Eli's house shall not be removed with sacrifice nor offering forever."
- Samuel lay until the morning, and opened the doors of the house of Yahweh. Samuel feared to show Eli the vision.
- Then Eli called Samuel, and said, "Samuel, my son!" He said, "Here I am."
- He said, "What is the thing that [Yahweh] has spoken to you? Please don't hide it from me. God do so to you, and more also, if you hide anything from me of all the things that he spoke to you."
- Samuel told him every bit, and hid nothing from him. He said, "It is Yahweh. Let him do what seems good to him."
- Samuel grew, and Yahweh was with him, and let none of his words fall to the ground.
- All Israel from Dan even to Beersheba knew that Samuel was established to be a prophet of Yahweh.
- Yahweh appeared again in Shiloh; for Yahweh revealed himself to Samuel in Shiloh by the word of Yahweh.
|1 Samuel 3 Text (Hebrew)
- והנער שמואל משרת את־יהוה לפני עלי ודבר־יהוה היה יקר בימים ההם אין חזון נפרץ׃ ס
- ויהי ביום ההוא ועלי שכב במקמו החלו כהות לא יוכל לראות׃
- ונר אלהים טרם יכבה ושמואל שכב בהיכל יהוה אשר־שם ארון אלהים׃ ף
- ויקרא יהוה אל־שמואל ויאמר הנני׃
- וירץ אל־עלי ויאמר הנני כי־קראת לי ויאמר לא־קראתי שוב שכב וילך וישכב׃ ס
- ויסף יהוה קרא עוד שמואל ויקם שמואל וילך אל־עלי ויאמר הנני כי קראת לי ויאמר לא־קראתי בני שוב שכב׃
- ושמואל טרם ידע את־יהוה וטרם יגלה אליו דבר־יהוה׃
- ויסף יהוה קרא־שמואל בשלשית ויקם וילך אל־עלי ויאמר הנני כי קראת לי ויבן עלי כי יהוה קרא לנער׃
- ויאמר עלי לשמואל לך שכב והיה אם־יקרא אליך ואמרת דבר יהוה כי שמע עבדך וילך שמואל וישכב במקומו׃
- ויבא יהוה ויתיצב ויקרא כפעם־בפעם שמואל שמואל ויאמר שמואל דבר כי שמע עבדך׃ ף
- ויאמר יהוה אל־שמואל הנה אנכי עשה דבר בישראל אשר כל־שמעו תצלינה שתי אזניו׃
- ביום ההוא אקים אל־עלי את כל־אשר דברתי אל־ביתו החל וכלה׃
- והגדתי לו כי־שפט אני את־ביתו עד־עולם בעון אשר־ידע כי־מקללים להם בניו ולא כהה בם׃
- ולכן נשבעתי לבית עלי אם־יתכפר עון בית־עלי בזבח ובמנחה עד־עולם׃
- וישכב שמואל עד־הבקר ויפתח את־דלתות בית־יהוה ושמואל ירא מהגיד את־המראה אל־עלי׃
- ויקרא עלי את־שמואל ויאמר שמואל בני ויאמר הנני׃
- ויאמר מה הדבר אשר דבר אליך אל־נא תכחד ממני כה יעשה־לך אלהים וכה יוסיף אם־תכחד ממני דבר מכל־הדבר אשר־דבר אליך׃
- ויגד־לו שמואל את־כל־הדברים ולא כחד ממנו ויאמר יהוה הוא הטוב בעינו יעשה׃ ף
- ויגדל שמואל ויהוה היה עמו ולא־הפיל מכל־דבריו ארצה׃
- וידע כל־ישראל מדן ועד־באר שבע כי נאמן שמואל לנביא ליהוה׃
- ויסף יהוה להראה בשלה כי־נגלה יהוה אל־שמואל בשלו בדבר יהוה׃ ף
|1 Samuel 3 Text (Latin)
- Puer autem Samuel ministrabat Domino coram Heli, et sermo Domini erat pretiosus in diebus illis, non erat visio manifesta.
- Factum est ergo in die quadam, Heli jacebat in loco suo, et oculi ejus caligaverant, nec poterat videre :
- lucerna Dei antequam extingueretur, Samuel dormiebat in templo Domini, ubi erat arca Dei.
- Et vocavit Dominus Samuel. Qui respondens, ait : Ecce ego.
- Et cucurrit ad Heli, et dixit : Ecce ego : vocasti enim me. Qui dixit : Non vocavi : revertere, et dormi. Et abiit, et dormivit.
- Et adjecit Dominus rursum vocare Samuelem. Consurgensque Samuel, abiit ad Heli, et dixit : Ecce ego : quia vocasti me. Qui respondit : Non vocavi te, fili mi : revertere et dormi.
- Porro Samuel necdum sciebat Dominum, neque revelatus fuerat ei sermo Domini.
- Et adjecit Dominus, et vocavit adhuc Samuelem tertio. Qui consurgens abiit ad Heli,
- et ait : Ecce ego : quia vocasti me. Intellexit ergo Heli quia Dominus vocaret puerum : et ait ad Samuelem : Vade, et dormi : et si deinceps vocaverit te, dices : Loquere, Domine, quia audit servus tuus. Abiit ergo Samuel, et dormivit in loco suo.
- Et venit Dominus, et stetit : et vocavit, sicut vocaverat secundo : Samuel, Samuel. Et ait Samuel : Loquere, Domine, quia audit servus tuus.
- Et dixit Dominus ad Samuelem : Ecce ego facio verbum in Israël : quod quicumque audierit, tinnient ambæ aures ejus.
- In die illa suscitabo adversum Heli omnia quæ locutus sum super domum ejus : incipiam, et complebo.
- Prædixi enim ei quod judicaturus essem domum ejus in æternum, propter iniquitatem, eo quod noverat indigne agere filios suos, et non corripuerit eos.
- Idcirco juravi domui Heli quod non expietur iniquitas domus ejus victimis et muneribus usque in æternum.
- Dormivit autem Samuel usque mane, aperuitque ostia domus Domini. Et Samuel timebat indicare visionem Heli.
- Vocavit ergo Heli Samuelem, et dixit : Samuel fili mi ? Qui respondens ait : Præsto sum.
- Et interrogavit eum : Quis est sermo, quem locutus est Dominus ad te ? oro te ne celaveris me : hæc faciat tibi Deus, et hæc addat, si absconderis a me sermonem ex omnibus verbis, quæ dicta sunt tibi.
- Indicavit itaque ei Samuel universos sermones, et non abscondit ab eo. Et ille respondit : Dominus est : quod bonum est in oculis suis faciat.
- Crevit autem Samuel, et Dominus erat cum eo, et non cecidit ex omnibus verbis ejus in terram.
- Et cognovit universus Israël, a Dan usque Bersabee, quod fidelis Samuel propheta esset Domini.
- Et addidit Dominus ut appareret in Silo, quoniam revelatus fuerat Dominus Samueli in Silo, juxta verbum Domini. Et evenit sermo Samuelis universo Israëli.
|1 Samuel 3 Text (KJV)
- And the child Samuel ministered unto the LORD before Eli. And the word of the LORD was precious in those days; there was no open vision.
- And it came to pass at that time, when Eli was laid down in his place, and his eyes began to wax dim, that he could not see;
- And ere the lamp of God went out in the temple of the LORD, where the ark of God was, and Samuel was laid down to sleep;
- That the LORD called Samuel: and he answered, Here am I.
- And he ran unto Eli, and said, Here am I; for thou calledst me. And he said, I called not; lie down again. And he went and lay down.
- And the LORD called yet again, Samuel. And Samuel arose and went to Eli, and said, Here am I; for thou didst call me. And he answered, I called not, my son; lie down again.
- Now Samuel did not yet know the LORD, neither was the word of the LORD yet revealed unto him.
- And the LORD called Samuel again the third time. And he arose and went to Eli, and said, Here am I; for thou didst call me. And Eli perceived that the LORD had called the child.
- Therefore Eli said unto Samuel, Go, lie down: and it shall be, if he call thee, that thou shalt say, Speak, LORD; for thy servant heareth. So Samuel went and lay down in his place.
- And the LORD came, and stood, and called as at other times, Samuel, Samuel. Then Samuel answered, Speak; for thy servant heareth.
- And the LORD said to Samuel, Behold, I will do a thing in Israel, at which both the ears of every one that heareth it shall tingle.
- In that day I will perform against Eli all things which I have spoken concerning his house: when I begin, I will also make an end.
- For I have told him that I will judge his house for ever for the iniquity which he knoweth; because his sons made themselves vile, and he restrained them not.
- And therefore I have sworn unto the house of Eli, that the iniquity of Eli's house shall not be purged with sacrifice nor offering for ever.
- And Samuel lay until the morning, and opened the doors of the house of the LORD. And Samuel feared to shew Eli the vision.
- Then Eli called Samuel, and said, Samuel, my son. And he answered, Here am I.
- And he said, What is the thing that the LORD hath said unto thee? I pray thee hide it not from me: God do so to thee, and more also, if thou hide any thing from me of all the things that he said unto thee.
- And Samuel told him every whit, and hid nothing from him. And he said, It is the LORD: let him do what seemeth him good.
- And Samuel grew, and the LORD was with him, and did let none of his words fall to the ground.
- And all Israel from Dan even to Beer-sheba knew that Samuel was established to be a prophet of the LORD.
- And the LORD appeared again in Shiloh: for the LORD revealed himself to Samuel in Shiloh by the word of the LORD.