| 1 Samuel 23 - Versions
| 1 Samuel 23 Text (WEB)
- David was told, "Behold, the Philistines are fighting against Keilah, and are robbing the threshing floors."
- Therefore David inquired of Yahweh, saying, "Shall I go and strike these Philistines?" Yahweh said to David, "Go strike the Philistines, and save Keilah."
- David's men said to him, "Behold, we are afraid here in Judah: how much more then if we go to Keilah against the armies of the Philistines?"
- Then David inquired of Yahweh yet again. Yahweh answered him, and said, "Arise, go down to Keilah; for I will deliver the Philistines into your hand."
- David and his men went to Keilah, and fought with the Philistines, and brought away their livestock, and killed them with a great slaughter. So David saved the inhabitants of Keilah.
- It happened, when Abiathar the son of Ahimelech fled to David to Keilah, that he came down with an ephod in his hand.
- It was told Saul that David had come to Keilah. Saul said, "God has delivered him into my hand; for he is shut in, by entering into a town that has gates and bars."
- Saul summoned all the people to war, to go down to Keilah, to besiege David and his men.
- David knew that Saul was devising mischief against him; and he said to Abiathar the priest, "Bring the ephod here."
- Then David said, "O Yahweh, the God of Israel, your servant has surely heard that Saul seeks to come to Keilah, to destroy the city for my sake.
- Will the men of Keilah deliver me up into his hand? Will Saul come down, as your servant has heard? Yahweh, the God of Israel, I beg you, tell your servant." Yahweh said, "He will come down."
- Then David said, "Will the men of Keilah deliver me and my men into the hand of Saul?" Yahweh said, "They will deliver you up."
- Then David and his men, who were about six hundred, arose and departed out of Keilah, and went wherever they could go. It was told Saul that David was escaped from Keilah; and he gave up going there.
- David stayed in the wilderness in the strongholds, and remained in the hill country in the wilderness of Ziph. Saul sought him every day, but God didn't deliver him into his hand.
- David saw that Saul had come out to seek his life. David was in the wilderness of Ziph in the wood.
- Jonathan, Saul's son, arose, and went to David into the woods, and strengthened his hand in God.
- He said to him, "Don't be afraid; for the hand of Saul my father shall not find you; and you shall be king over Israel, and I shall be next to you; and that also Saul my father knows."
- They both made a covenant before Yahweh: and David stayed in the woods, and Jonathan went to his house.
- Then the Ziphites came up to Saul to Gibeah, saying, "Doesn't David hide himself with us in the strongholds in the wood, in the hill of Hachilah, which is on the south of the desert?
- Now therefore, O king, come down, according to all the desire of your soul to come down; and our part shall be to deliver him up into the king's hand."
- Saul said, "You are blessed by Yahweh; for you have had compassion on me.
- Please go make yet more sure, and know and see his place where his haunt is, [and] who has seen him there; for it is told me that he deals very subtly.
- See therefore, and take knowledge of all the lurking places where he hides himself, and come again to me with certainty, and I will go with you: and it shall happen, if he is in the land, that I will search him out among all the thousands of Judah."
- They arose, and went to Ziph before Saul: but David and his men were in the wilderness of Maon, in the Arabah on the south of the desert.
- Saul and his men went to seek him. When David was told, he went down to the rock, and stayed in the wilderness of Maon. When Saul heard [that], he pursued after David in the wilderness of Maon.
- Saul went on this side of the mountain, and David and his men on that side of the mountain: and David made haste to get away for fear of Saul; for Saul and his men surrounded David and his men to take them.
- But a messenger came to Saul, saying, "Hurry and come; for the Philistines have made a raid on the land!"
- So Saul returned from pursuing after David, and went against the Philistines: therefore they called that place Sela Hammahlekoth.
- David went up from there, and lived in the strongholds of En Gedi.
| 1 Samuel 23 Text (Hebrew)
- ויגדו לדוד לאמר הנה פלשתים נלחמים בקעילה והמה שסים את־הגרנות׃
- וישאל דוד ביהוה לאמר האלך והכיתי בפלשתים האלה ס ויאמר יהוה אל־דוד לך והכית בפלשתים והושעת את־קעילה׃
- ויאמרו אנשי דוד אליו הנה אנחנו פה ביהודה יראים ואף כי־נלך קעלה אל־מערכות פלשתים׃ ס
- ויוסף עוד דוד לשאל ביהוה ס ויענהו יהוה ויאמר קום רד קעילה כי־אני נתן את־פלשתים בידך׃
- וילך דוד קעילה וילחם בפלשתים וינהג את־מקניהם ויך בהם מכה גדולה וישע דוד את ישבי קעילה׃ ס
- ויהי בברח אביתר בן־אחימלך אל־דוד קעילה אפוד ירד בידו׃
- ויגד לשאול כי־בא דוד קעילה ויאמר שאול נכר אתו אלהים בידי כי נסגר לבוא בעיר דלתים ובריח׃
- וישמע שאול את־כל־העם למלחמה לרדת קעילה לצור אל־דוד ואל־אנשיו׃
- וידע דוד כי עליו שאול מחריש הרעה ויאמר אל־אביתר הכהן הגישה האפוד׃ ס
- ויאמר דוד יהוה אלהי ישראל שמע שמע עבדך כי־מבקש שאול לבוא אל־קעילה לשחת לעיר בעבורי׃
- היסגרני בעלי קעילה בידו הירד שאול כאשר שמע עבדך יהוה אלהי ישראל הגד־נא לעבדך ס ויאמר יהוה ירד׃
- ויאמר דוד היסגרו בעלי קעילה אתי ואת־אנשי ביד־שאול ויאמר יהוה יסגירו׃ ס
- ויקם דוד ואנשיו כשש־מאות איש ויצאו מקעלה ויתהלכו באשר יתהלכו ולשאול הגד כי־נמלט דוד מקעילה ויחדל לצאת׃
- וישב דוד במדבר במצדות וישב בהר במדבר־זיף ויבקשהו שאול כל־הימים ולא־נתנו אלהים בידו׃
- וירא דוד כי־יצא שאול לבקש את־נפשו ודוד במדבר־זיף בחרשה׃ ס
- ויקם יהונתן בן־שאול וילך אל־דוד חרשה ויחזק את־ידו באלהים׃
- ויאמר אליו אל־תירא כי לא תמצאך יד שאול אבי ואתה תמלך על־ישראל ואנכי אהיה־לך למשנה וגם־שאול אבי ידע כן׃
- ויכרתו שניהם ברית לפני יהוה וישב דוד בחרשה ויהונתן הלך לביתו׃ ס
- ויעלו זפים אל־שאול הגבעתה לאמר הלוא דוד מסתתר עמנו במצדות בחרשה בגבעת החכילה אשר מימין הישימון׃
- ועתה לכל־אות נפשך המלך לרדת רד ולנו הסגירו ביד המלך׃
- ויאמר שאול ברוכים אתם ליהוה כי חמלתם עלי׃
- לכו־נא הכינו עוד ודעו וראו את־מקומו אשר תהיה רגלו מי ראהו שם כי אמר אלי ערום יערם הוא׃
- וראו ודעו מכל המחבאים אשר יתחבא שם ושבתם אלי אל־נכון והלכתי אתכם והיה אם־ישנו בארץ וחפשתי אתו בכל אלפי יהודה׃
- ויקומו וילכו זיפה לפני שאול ודוד ואנשיו במדבר מעון בערבה אל ימין הישימון׃
- וילך שאול ואנשיו לבקש ויגדו לדוד וירד הסלע וישב במדבר מעון וישמע שאול וירדף אחרי־דוד מדבר מעון׃
- וילך שאול מצד ההר מזה ודוד ואנשיו מצד ההר מזה ויהי דוד נחפז ללכת מפני שאול ושאול ואנשיו עטרים אל־דוד ואל־אנשיו לתפשם׃
- ומלאך בא אל־שאול לאמר מהרה ולכה כי־פשטו פלשתים על־הארץ׃
- וישב שאול מרדף אחרי דוד וילך לקראת פלשתים על־כן קראו למקום ההוא סלע המחלקות׃
- ויעל דוד משם וישב במצדות עין־גדי׃
| 1 Samuel 23 Text (Latin)
- Et annuntiaverunt David, dicentes : Ecce Philisthiim oppugnant Ceilam et diripiunt areas.
- Consuluit ergo David Dominum, dicens : Num vadam, et percutiam Philisthæos istos ? Et ait Dominus ad David : Vade, et percuties Philisthæos, et Ceilam salvabis.
- Et dixerunt viri, qui erant cum David, ad eum : Ecce nos hic in Judæa consistentes timemus : quanto magis si ierimus in Ceilam adversum agmina Philisthinorum ?
- Rursum ergo David consuluit Dominum. Qui respondens, ait ei : Surge, et vade in Ceilam : ego enim tradam Philisthæos in manu tua.
- Abiit ergo David, et viri ejus, in Ceilam, et pugnavit adversum Philisthæos, et abegit jumenta eorum, et percussit eos plaga magna : et salvavit David habitatores Ceilæ.
- Porro eo tempore, quo fugiebat Abiathar filius Achimelech ad David in Ceilam, ephod secum habens descenderat.
- Nuntiatum est autem Sauli quod venisset David in Ceilam : et ait Saul : Tradidit eum Deus in manus meas, conclususque est introgressus urbem, in qua portæ et seræ sunt.
- Et præcepit Saul omni populo ut ad pugnam descenderet in Ceilam, et obsideret David, et viros ejus.
- Quod cum David rescisset quia præpararet ei Saul clam malum, dixit ad Abiathar sacerdotem : Applica ephod.
- Et ait David : Domine Deus Israël, audivit famam servus tuus, quod disponat Saul venire in Ceilam, ut evertat urbem propter me :
- si tradent me viri Ceilæ in manus ejus ? et si descendet Saul, sicut audivit servus tuus ? Domine Deus Israël, indica servo tuo. Et ait Dominus : Descendet.
- Dixitque David : Si tradent me viri Ceilæ, et viros qui sunt mecum, in manus Saul ? Et dixit Dominus : Tradent.
- Surrexit ergo David et viri ejus quasi sexcenti, et egressi de Ceila, huc atque illuc vagabantur incerti : nuntiatumque est Sauli quod fugisset David de Ceila, et salvatus esset : quam ob rem dissimulavit exire.
- Morabatur autem David in deserto in locis firmissimis, mansitque in monte solitudinis Ziph, in monte opaco : quærebat eum tamen Saul cunctis diebus : et non tradidit eum Deus in manus ejus.
- Et vidit David quod egressus esset Saul ut quæreret animam ejus. Porro David erat in deserto Ziph in silva.
- Et surrexit Jonathas filius Saul, et abiit ad David in silvam, et confortavit manus ejus in Deo : dixitque ei :
- Ne timeas : neque enim inveniet te manus Saul patris mei, et tu regnabis super Israël, et ego ero tibi secundus, sed et Saul pater meus scit hoc.
- Percussit ergo uterque fœdus coram Domino : mansitque David in silva : Jonathas autem reversus est in domum suam.
- Ascenderunt autem Ziphæi ad Saul in Gabaa, dicentes : Nonne ecce David latitat apud nos in locis tutissimis silvæ, in colle Hachila, quæ est ad dexteram deserti ?
- Nunc ergo, sicut desideravit anima tua ut descenderes, descende : nostrum autem erit ut tradamus eum in manus regis.
- Dixitque Saul : Benedicti vos a Domino, quia doluistis vicem meam.
- Abite ergo, oro, et diligentius præparate, et curiosius agite, et considerate locum ubi sit pes ejus, vel quis viderit eum ibi : recogitat enim de me, quod callide insidier ei.
- Considerate et videte omnia latibula ejus, in quibus absconditur : et revertimini ad me ad rem certam, ut vadam vobiscum. Quod si etiam in terram se abstruserit, perscrutabor eum in cunctis millibus Juda.
- At illi surgentes abierunt in Ziph ante Saul : David autem et viri ejus erant in deserto Maon, in campestribus ad dexteram Jesimon.
- Ivit ergo Saul et socii ejus ad quærendum eum : et nuntiatum est David, statimque descendit ad petram, et versabatur in deserto Maon : quod cum audisset Saul, persecutus est David in deserto Maon.
- Et ibat Saul ad latus montis ex parte una : David autem et viri ejus erant in latere montis ex parte altera : porro David desperabat se posse evadere a facie Saul : itaque Saul et viri ejus in modum coronæ cingebant David, et viros ejus, ut caperent eos.
- Et nuntius venit ad Saul, dicens : Festina, et veni, quoniam infuderunt se Philisthiim super terram.
- Reversus est ergo Saul desistens persequi David, et perrexit in occursum Philisthinorum : propter hoc vocaverunt locum illum, Petram dividentem.
- Ascendit ergo David inde : et habitavit in locis tutissimis Engaddi.
| 1 Samuel 23 Text (KJV)
- Then they told David, saying, Behold, the Philistines fight against Keilah, and they rob the threshingfloors.
- Therefore David inquired of the LORD, saying, Shall I go and smite these Philistines? And the LORD said unto David, Go, and smite the Philistines, and save Keilah.
- And David's men said unto him, Behold, we be afraid here in Judah: how much more then if we come to Keilah against the armies of the Philistines?
- Then David inquired of the LORD yet again. And the LORD answered him and said, Arise, go down to Keilah; for I will deliver the Philistines into thine hand.
- So David and his men went to Keilah, and fought with the Philistines, and brought away their cattle, and smote them with a great slaughter. So David saved the inhabitants of Keilah.
- And it came to pass, when Abiathar the son of Ahimelech fled to David to Keilah, that he came down with an ephod in his hand.
- And it was told Saul that David was come to Keilah. And Saul said, God hath delivered him into mine hand; for he is shut in, by entering into a town that hath gates and bars.
- And Saul called all the people together to war, to go down to Keilah, to besiege David and his men.
- And David knew that Saul secretly practised mischief against him; and he said to Abiathar the priest, Bring hither the ephod.
- Then said David, O LORD God of Israel, thy servant hath certainly heard that Saul seeketh to come to Keilah, to destroy the city for my sake.
- Will the men of Keilah deliver me up into his hand? will Saul come down, as thy servant hath heard? O LORD God of Israel, I beseech thee, tell thy servant. And the LORD said, He will come down.
- Then said David, Will the men of Keilah deliver me and my men into the hand of Saul? And the LORD said, They will deliver thee up.
- Then David and his men, which were about six hundred, arose and departed out of Keilah, and went whithersoever they could go. And it was told Saul that David was escaped from Keilah; and he forbare to go forth.
- And David abode in the wilderness in strong holds, and remained in a mountain in the wilderness of Ziph. And Saul sought him every day, but God delivered him not into his hand.
- And David saw that Saul was come out to seek his life: and David was in the wilderness of Ziph in a wood.
- And Jonathan Saul's son arose, and went to David into the wood, and strengthened his hand in God.
- And he said unto him, Fear not: for the hand of Saul my father shall not find thee; and thou shalt be king over Israel, and I shall be next unto thee; and that also Saul my father knoweth.
- And they two made a covenant before the LORD: and David abode in the wood, and Jonathan went to his house.
- Then came up the Ziphites to Saul to Gibeah, saying, Doth not David hide himself with us in strong holds in the wood, in the hill of Hachilah, which is on the south of Jeshimon?
- Now therefore, O king, come down according to all the desire of thy soul to come down; and our part shall be to deliver him into the king's hand.
- And Saul said, Blessed be ye of the LORD; for ye have compassion on me.
- Go, I pray you, prepare yet, and know and see his place where his haunt is, and who hath seen him there: for it is told me that he dealeth very subtilly.
- See therefore, and take knowledge of all the lurking places where he hideth himself, and come ye again to me with the certainty, and I will go with you: and it shall come to pass, if he be in the land, that I will search him out throughout all the thousands of Judah.
- And they arose, and went to Ziph before Saul: but David and his men were in the wilderness of Maon, in the plain on the south of Jeshimon.
- Saul also and his men went to seek him. And they told David: wherefore he came down into a rock, and abode in the wilderness of Maon. And when Saul heard that, he pursued after David in the wilderness of Maon.
- And Saul went on this side of the mountain, and David and his men on that side of the mountain: and David made haste to get away for fear of Saul; for Saul and his men compassed David and his men round about to take them.
- But there came a messenger unto Saul, saying, Haste thee, and come; for the Philistines have invaded the land.
- Wherefore Saul returned from pursuing after David, and went against the Philistines: therefore they called that place Sela-hammahlekoth.
- And David went up from thence, and dwelt in strong holds at En-gedi.