| 1 Samuel 10 - Versions
| 1 Samuel 10 Text (WEB)
- Then Samuel took the vial of oil, and poured it on his head, and kissed him, and said, "Isn't it that Yahweh has anointed you to be prince over his inheritance?
- When you have departed from me today, then you shall find two men by Rachel's tomb, in the border of Benjamin at Zelzah; and they will tell you, 'The donkeys which you went to seek have been found; and behold, your father has stopped caring about the donkeys, and is anxious for you, saying, "What shall I do for my son?"'
- "Then you shall go on forward from there, and you shall come to the oak of Tabor; and three men shall meet you there going up to God to Bethel, one carrying three young goats, and another carrying three loaves of bread, and another carrying a bottle of wine:
- and they will greet you, and give you two loaves of bread, which you shall receive of their hand.
- "After that you shall come to the hill of God, where is the garrison of the Philistines: and it shall happen, when you have come there to the city, that you shall meet a band of prophets coming down from the high place with a psaltery, and a tambourine, and a pipe, and a harp, before them; and they will be prophesying:
- and the Spirit of Yahweh will come mightily on you, and you shall prophesy with them, and shall be turned into another man.
- Let it be, when these signs have come to you, that you do as occasion shall serve you; for God is with you.
- "You shall go down before me to Gilgal; and behold, I will come down to you, to offer burnt offerings, and to sacrifice sacrifices of peace offerings: you shall wait seven days, until I come to you, and show you what you shall do."
- It was so, that when he had turned his back to go from Samuel, God gave him another heart: and all those signs happened that day.
- When they came there to the hill, behold, a band of prophets met him; and the Spirit of God came mightily on him, and he prophesied among them.
- It happened, when all who knew him before saw that, behold, he prophesied with the prophets, then the people said one to another, "What is this that is come to the son of Kish? Is Saul also among the prophets?"
- One of the same place answered, "Who is their father?" Therefore it became a proverb, "Is Saul also among the prophets?"
- When he had made an end of prophesying, he came to the high place.
- Saul's uncle said to him and to his servant, "Where did you go?" He said, "To seek the donkeys. When we saw that they were not found, we came to Samuel."
- Saul's uncle said, "Please tell me what Samuel said to you."
- Saul said to his uncle, "He told us plainly that the donkeys were found." But concerning the matter of the kingdom, of which Samuel spoke, he didn't tell him.
- Samuel called the people together to Yahweh to Mizpah;
- and he said to the children of Israel, "Thus says Yahweh, the God of Israel, 'I brought up Israel out of Egypt, and I delivered you out of the hand of the Egyptians, and out of the hand of all the kingdoms that oppressed you:'
- but you have this day rejected your God, who himself saves you out of all your calamities and your distresses; and you have said to him, '[No], but set a king over us.' Now therefore present yourselves before Yahweh by your tribes, and by your thousands."
- So Samuel brought all the tribes of Israel near, and the tribe of Benjamin was taken.
- He brought the tribe of Benjamin near by their families; and the family of the Matrites was taken; and Saul the son of Kish was taken: but when they sought him, he could not be found.
- Therefore they asked of Yahweh further, "Is there yet a man to come here?" Yahweh answered, "Behold, he has hidden himself among the baggage."
- They ran and fetched him there; and when he stood among the people, he was higher than any of the people from his shoulders and upward.
- Samuel said to all the people, "You see him whom Yahweh has chosen, that there is none like him among all the people?" All the people shouted, and said, "[Long] live the king!"
- Then Samuel told the people the regulations of the kingdom, and wrote it in a book, and laid it up before Yahweh. Samuel sent all the people away, every man to his house.
- Saul also went to his house to Gibeah; and there went with him the army, whose hearts God had touched.
- But certain worthless fellows said, "How shall this man save us?" They despised him, and brought him no present. But he held his peace.
| 1 Samuel 10 Text (Hebrew)
- ויקח שמואל את־פך השמן ויצק על־ראשו וישקהו ויאמר הלוא כי־משחך יהוה על־נחלתו לנגיד׃
- בלכתך היום מעמדי ומצאת שני אנשים עם־קברת רחל בגבול בנימן בצלצח ואמרו אליך נמצאו האתנות אשר הלכת לבקש והנה נטש אביך את־דברי האתנות ודאג לכם לאמר מה אעשה לבני׃
- וחלפת משם והלאה ובאת עד־אלון תבור ומצאוך שם שלשה אנשים עלים אל־האלהים בית־אל אחד נשא שלשה גדיים ואחד נשא שלשת ככרות לחם ואחד נשא נבל־יין׃
- ושאלו לך לשלום ונתנו לך שתי־לחם ולקחת מידם׃
- אחר כן תבוא גבעת האלהים אשר־שם נצבי פלשתים ויהי כבאך שם העיר ופגעת חבל נביאים ירדים מהבמה ולפניהם נבל ותף וחליל וכנור והמה מתנבאים׃
- וצלחה עליך רוח יהוה והתנבית עםם ונהפכת לאיש אחר׃
- והיה כי האתות האלה לך עשה לך אשר תמצא ידך כי האלהים עמך׃
- וירדת לפני הגלגל והנה אנכי ירד אליך להעלות עלות לזבח זבחי שלמים שבעת ימים תוחל עד־בואי אליך והודעתי לך את אשר תעשה׃
- והיה כהפנתו שכמו ללכת מעם שמואל ויהפך־לו אלהים לב אחר ויבאו כל־האתות האלה ביום ההוא׃ ס
- ויבאו שם הגבעתה והנה חבל־נבאים לקראתו ותצלח עליו רוח אלהים ויתנבא בתוכם׃
- ויהי כל־יודעו מאתמול שלשום ויראו והנה עם־נבאים נבא ויאמר העם איש אל־רעהו מה־זה היה לבן־קיש הגם שאול בנביאים׃
- ויען איש משם ויאמר ומי אביהם על־כן היתה למשל הגם שאול בנבאים׃
- ויכל מהתנבות ויבא הבמה׃
- ויאמר דוד שאול אליו ואל־נערו אן הלכתם ויאמר לבקש את־האתנות ונראה כי־אין ונבוא אל־שמואל׃
- ויאמר דוד שאול הגידה־נא לי מה־אמר לכם שמואל׃
- ויאמר שאול אל־דודו הגד הגיד לנו כי נמצאו האתנות ואת־דבר המלוכה לא־הגיד לו אשר אמר שמואל׃ ף
- ויצעק שמואל את־העם אל־יהוה המצפה׃
- ויאמר אל־בני ישראל ף כה־אמר יהוה אלהי ישראל אנכי העליתי את־ישראל ממצרים ואציל אתכם מיד מצרים ומיד כל־הממלכות הלחצים אתכם׃
- ואתם היום מאסתם את־אלהיכם אשר־הוא מושיע לכם מכל־רעותיכם וצרתיכם ותאמרו לו כי־מלך תשים עלינו ועתה התיצבו לפני יהוה לשבטיכם ולאלפיכם׃
- ויקרב שמואל את כל־שבטי ישראל וילכד שבט בנימן׃
- ויקרב את־שבט בנימן ותלכד משפחת המטרי וילכד שאול בן־קיש ויבקשהו ולא נמצא׃
- וישאלו־עוד ביהוה הבא עוד הלם איש ס ויאמר יהוה הנה־הוא נחבא אל־הכלים׃
- וירצו ויקחהו משם ויתיצב בתוך העם ויגבה מכל־העם משכמו ומעלה׃
- ויאמר שמואל אל־כל־העם הראיתם אשר בחר־בו יהוה כי אין כמהו בכל־העם וירעו כל־העם ויאמרו יחי המלך׃ ף
- וידבר שמואל אל־העם את משפט המלכה ויכתב בספר וינח לפני יהוה וישלח שמואל את־כל־העם איש לביתו׃
- וגם־שאול הלך לביתו גבעתה וילכו עמו החיל אשר־נגע אלהים בלבם׃
- ובני בליעל אמרו מה־ישענו זה ויבזהו ולא־הביאו לו מנחה ויהי כמחריש׃ ף
| 1 Samuel 10 Text (Latin)
- Tulit autem Samuel lenticulam olei, et effudit super caput ejus, et deosculatus est eum, et ait : Ecce, unxit te Dominus super hæreditatem suam in principem, et liberabis populum suum de manibus inimicorum ejus, qui in circuitu ejus sunt. Et hoc tibi signum, quia unxit te Deus in principem.
- Cum abieris hodie a me, invenies duos viros juxta sepulchrum Rachel in finibus Benjamin, in meridie, dicentque tibi : Inventæ sunt asinæ, ad quas ieras perquirendas : et intermissis pater tuus asinis, sollicitus est pro vobis, et dicit : Quid faciam de filio meo ?
- Cumque abieris inde, et ultra transieris, et veneris ad quercum Thabor, invenient te ibi tres viri ascendentes ad Deum in Bethel, unus portans tres hædos, et alius tres tortas panis, et alius portans lagenam vini.
- Cumque te salutaverint, dabunt tibi duos panes, et accipies de manu eorum.
- Post hæc venies in collem Dei, ubi est statio Philisthinorum : et cum ingressus fueris ibi urbem, obvium habebis gregem prophetarum descendentium de excelso, et ante eos psalterium et tympanum, et tibiam, et citharam, ipsosque prophetantes.
- Et insiliet in te Spiritus Domini, et prophetabis cum eis, et mutaberis in virum alium.
- Quando ergo evenerint signa hæc omnia tibi, fac quæcumque invenerit manus tua, quia Dominus tecum est.
- Et descendes ante me in Galgala (ego quippe descendam ad te), ut offeras oblationem, et immoles victimas pacificas : septem diebus expectabis, donec veniam ad te, et ostendam tibi quid facias.
- Itaque cum avertisset humerum suum ut abiret a Samuele, immutavit ei Deus cor aliud, et venerunt omnia signa hæc in die illa.
- Veneruntque ad prædictum collem, et ecce cuneus prophetarum obvius ei : et insiluit super eum spiritus Domini, et prophetavit in medio eorum.
- Videntes autem omnes qui noverant eum heri et nudiustertius, quod esset cum prophetis, et prophetaret, dixerunt ad invicem : Quænam res accidit filio Cis ? num et Saul inter prophetas ?
- Responditque alius ad alterum, dicens : Et quis pater eorum ? Propterea versum est in proverbium : Num et Saul inter prophetas ?
- Cessavit autem prophetare, et venit ad excelsum.
- Dixitque patruus Saul ad eum, et ad puerum ejus : Quo abistis ? Qui responderunt : Quærere asinas : quas cum non reperissemus, venimus ad Samuelem.
- Et dixit ei patruus suus : Indica mihi quid dixerit tibi Samuel.
- Et ait Saul ad patruum suum : Indicavit nobis quia inventæ essent asinæ. De sermone autem regni non indicavit ei quem locutus fuerat ei Samuel.
- Et convocavit Samuel populum ad Dominum in Maspha :
- et ait ad filios Israël : Hæc dicit Dominus Deus Israël : Ego eduxi Israël de Ægypto, et erui vos de manu Ægyptiorum, et de manu omnium regum qui affligebant vos.
- Vos autem hodie projecistis Deum vestrum, qui solus salvavit vos de universis malis et tribulationibus vestris : et dixistis : Nequaquam : sed regem constitue super nos. Nunc ergo state coram Domino per tribus vestras, et per familias.
- Et applicuit Samuel omnes tribus Israël, et cecidit sors tribus Benjamin.
- Et applicuit tribum Benjamin et cognationes ejus, et cecidit cognatio Metri, et pervenit usque ad Saul filium Cis. Quæsierunt ergo eum, et non est inventus.
- Et consuluerunt post hæc Dominum utrumnam venturus esset illuc. Responditque Dominus : Ecce absconditus est domi.
- Cucurrerunt itaque et tulerunt eum inde : stetitque in medio populi, et altior fuit universo populo ab humero et sursum.
- Et ait Samuel ad omnem populum : Certe videtis quem elegit Dominus, quoniam non sit similis illi in omni populo. Et clamavit omnis populus, et ait : Vivat rex.
- Locutus est autem Samuel ad populum legem regni, et scripsit in libro, et reposuit coram Domino : et dimisit Samuel omnem populum, singulos in domum suam.
- Sed et Saul abiit in domum suam in Gabaa : et abiit cum eo pars exercitus, quorum tetigerat Deus corda.
- Filii vero Belial dixerunt : Num salvare nos poterit iste ? Et despexerunt eum, et non attulerunt ei munera : ille vero dissimulabat se audire.
| 1 Samuel 10 Text (KJV)
- Then Samuel took a vial of oil, and poured it upon his head, and kissed him, and said, Is it not because the LORD hath anointed thee to be captain over his inheritance?
- When thou art departed from me to day, then thou shalt find two men by Rachel's sepulchre in the border of Benjamin at Zelzah; and they will say unto thee, The asses which thou wentest to seek are found: and, lo, thy father hath left the care of the asses, and sorroweth for you, saying, What shall I do for my son?
- Then shalt thou go on forward from thence, and thou shalt come to the plain of Tabor, and there shall meet thee three men going up to God to Bethel, one carrying three kids, and another carrying three loaves of bread, and another carrying a bottle of wine:
- And they will salute thee, and give thee two loaves of bread; which thou shalt receive of their hands.
- After that thou shalt come to the hill of God, where is the garrison of the Philistines: and it shall come to pass, when thou art come thither to the city, that thou shalt meet a company of prophets coming down from the high place with a psaltery, and a tabret, and a pipe, and a harp, before them; and they shall prophesy:
- And the Spirit of the LORD will come upon thee, and thou shalt prophesy with them, and shalt be turned into another man.
- And let it be, when these signs are come unto thee, that thou do as occasion serve thee; for God is with thee.
- And thou shalt go down before me to Gilgal; and, behold, I will come down unto thee, to offer burnt offerings, and to sacrifice sacrifices of peace offerings: seven days shalt thou tarry, till I come to thee, and shew thee what thou shalt do.
- And it was so, that when he had turned his back to go from Samuel, God gave him another heart: and all those signs came to pass that day.
- And when they came thither to the hill, behold, a company of prophets met him; and the Spirit of God came upon him, and he prophesied among them.
- And it came to pass, when all that knew him beforetime saw that, behold, he prophesied among the prophets, then the people said one to another, What is this that is come unto the son of Kish? Is Saul also among the prophets?
- And one of the same place answered and said, But who is their father? Therefore it became a proverb, Is Saul also among the prophets?
- And when he had made an end of prophesying, he came to the high place.
- And Saul's uncle said unto him and to his servant, Whither went ye? And he said, To seek the asses: and when we saw that they were no where, we came to Samuel.
- And Saul's uncle said, Tell me, I pray thee, what Samuel said unto you.
- And Saul said unto his uncle, He told us plainly that the asses were found. But of the matter of the kingdom, whereof Samuel spake, he told him not.
- And Samuel called the people together unto the LORD to Mizpeh;
- And said unto the children of Israel, Thus saith the LORD God of Israel, I brought up Israel out of Egypt, and delivered you out of the hand of the Egyptians, and out of the hand of all kingdoms, and of them that oppressed you:
- And ye have this day rejected your God, who himself saved you out of all your adversities and your tribulations; and ye have said unto him, Nay, but set a king over us. Now therefore present yourselves before the LORD by your tribes, and by your thousands.
- And when Samuel had caused all the tribes of Israel to come near, the tribe of Benjamin was taken.
- When he had caused the tribe of Benjamin to come near by their families, the family of Matri was taken, and Saul the son of Kish was taken: and when they sought him, he could not be found.
- Therefore they inquired of the LORD further, if the man should yet come thither. And the LORD answered, Behold, he hath hid himself among the stuff.
- And they ran and fetched him thence: and when he stood among the people, he was higher than any of the people from his shoulders and upward.
- And Samuel said to all the people, See ye him whom the LORD hath chosen, that there is none like him among all the people? And all the people shouted, and said, God save the king.
- Then Samuel told the people the manner of the kingdom, and wrote it in a book, and laid it up before the LORD. And Samuel sent all the people away, every man to his house.
- And Saul also went home to Gibeah; and there went with him a band of men, whose hearts God had touched.
- But the children of Belial said, How shall this man save us? And they despised him, and brought him no presents. But he held his peace.