| 1 Kings 9 - Versions
| 1 Kings 9 Text (WEB)
- It happened, when Solomon had finished the building of the house of Yahweh, and the king's house, and all Solomon's desire which he was pleased to do,
- that Yahweh appeared to Solomon the second time, as he had appeared to him at Gibeon.
- Yahweh said to him, "I have heard your prayer and your supplication, that you have made before me. I have made this house holy, which you have built, to put my name there forever; and my eyes and my heart shall be there perpetually.
- As for you, if you will walk before me, as David your father walked, in integrity of heart, and in uprightness, to do according to all that I have commanded you, and will keep my statutes and my ordinances;
- then I will establish the throne of your kingdom over Israel forever, according as I promised to David your father, saying, 'There shall not fail you a man on the throne of Israel.'
- But if you turn away from following me, you or your children, and not keep my commandments and my statutes which I have set before you, but shall go and serve other gods, and worship them;
- then will I cut off Israel out of the land which I have given them; and this house, which I have made holy for my name, will I cast out of my sight; and Israel shall be a proverb and a byword among all peoples.
- Though this house is so high, yet shall everyone who passes by it be astonished, and shall hiss; and they shall say, 'Why has Yahweh done thus to this land, and to this house?'
- and they shall answer, 'Because they forsook Yahweh their God, who brought forth their fathers out of the land of Egypt, and laid hold of other gods, and worshiped them, and served them. Therefore Yahweh has brought all this evil on them.'"
- It happened at the end of twenty years, in which Solomon had built the two houses, the house of Yahweh and the king's house
- (now Hiram the king of Tyre had furnished Solomon with cedar trees and fir trees, and with gold, according to all his desire), that then king Solomon gave Hiram twenty cities in the land of Galilee.
- Hiram came out from Tyre to see the cities which Solomon had given him; and they didn't please him.
- He said, "What cities are these which you have given me, my brother?" He called them the land of Cabul to this day.
- Hiram sent to the king one hundred twenty talents of gold.
- This is the reason of the levy which king Solomon raised, to build the house of Yahweh, and his own house, and Millo, and the wall of Jerusalem, and Hazor, and Megiddo, and Gezer.
- Pharaoh king of Egypt had gone up, and taken Gezer, and burnt it with fire, and slain the Canaanites who lived in the city, and given it for a portion to his daughter, Solomon's wife.
- Solomon built Gezer, and Beth Horon the lower,
- and Baalath, and Tamar in the wilderness, in the land,
- and all the storage cities that Solomon had, and the cities for his chariots, and the cities for his horsemen, and that which Solomon desired to build for his pleasure in Jerusalem, and in Lebanon, and in all the land of his dominion.
- As for all the people who were left of the Amorites, the Hittites, the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites, who were not of the children of Israel;
- their children who were left after them in the land, whom the children of Israel were not able utterly to destroy, of them did Solomon raise a levy of bondservants to this day.
- But of the children of Israel did Solomon make no bondservants; but they were the men of war, and his servants, and his princes, and his captains, and rulers of his chariots and of his horsemen.
- These were the chief officers who were over Solomon's work, five hundred fifty, who bore rule over the people who labored in the work.
- But Pharaoh's daughter came up out of the city of David to her house which [Solomon] had built for her: then did he build Millo.
- Three times a year did Solomon offer burnt offerings and peace offerings on the altar which he built to Yahweh, burning incense therewith, [on the altar] that was before Yahweh. So he finished the house.
- King Solomon made a navy of ships in Ezion Geber, which is beside Eloth, on the shore of the Red Sea, in the land of Edom.
- Hiram sent in the navy his servants, sailors who had knowledge of the sea, with the servants of Solomon.
- They came to Ophir, and fetched from there gold, four hundred and twenty talents, and brought it to king Solomon.
| 1 Kings 9 Text (Hebrew)
- ויהי ככלות שלמה לבנות את־בית־יהוה ואת־בית המלך ואת כל־חשק שלמה אשר חפץ לעשות׃ ף
- וירא יהוה אל־שלמה שנית כאשר נראה אליו בגבעון׃
- ויאמר יהוה אליו שמעתי את־תפלתך ואת־תחנתך אשר התחננתה לפני הקדשתי את־הבית הזה אשר בנתה לשום־שמי שם עד־עולם והיו עיני ולבי שם כל־הימים׃
- ואתה אם־תלך לפני כאשר הלך דוד אביך בתם־לבב ובישר לעשות ככל אשר צויתיך חקי ומשפטי תשמר׃
- והקמתי את־כסא ממלכתך על־ישראל לעלם כאשר דברתי על־דוד אביך לאמר לא־יכרת לך איש מעל כסא ישראל׃
- אם־שוב תשבון אתם ובניכם מאחרי ולא תשמרו מצותי חקתי אשר נתתי לפניכם והלכתם ועבדתם אלהים אחרים והשתחויתם להם׃
- והכרתי את־ישראל מעל פני האדמה אשר נתתי להם ואת־הבית אשר הקדשתי לשמי אשלח מעל פני והיה ישראל למשל ולשנינה בכל־העמים׃
- והבית הזה יהיה עליון כל־עבר עליו ישם ושרק ואמרו על־מה עשה יהוה ככה לארץ הזאת ולבית הזה׃
- ואמרו על אשר עזבו את־יהוה אלהיהם אשר הוציא את־אבתם מארץ מצרים ויחזקו באלהים אחרים להם ויעבדם על־כן הביא יהוה עליהם את כל־הרעה הזאת׃ ף
- ויהי מקצה עשרים שנה אשר־בנה שלמה את־שני הבתים את־בית יהוה ואת־בית המלך׃
- חירם מלך־צר נשא את־שלמה בעצי ארזים ובעצי ברושים ובזהב לכל־חפצו אז יתן המלך שלמה לחירם עשרים עיר בארץ הגליל׃
- ויצא חירם מצר לראות את־הערים אשר נתן־לו שלמה ולא ישרו בעיניו׃
- ויאמר מה הערים האלה אשר־נתתה לי אחי ויקרא להם ארץ כבול עד היום הזה׃ ף
- וישלח חירם למלך מאה ועשרים ככר זהב׃
- וזה דבר־המס אשר־העלה המלך שלמה לבנות את־בית יהוה ואת־ביתו ואת־המלוא ואת חומת ירושלם ואת־חצר ואת־מגדו ואת־גזר׃
- פרעה מלך־מצרים עלה וילכד את־גזר וישרפה באש ואת־הכנעני הישב בעיר הרג ויתנה שלחים לבתו אשת שלמה׃
- ויבן שלמה את־גזר ואת־בית חרן תחתון׃
- ואת־בעלת ואת־ במדבר בארץ׃
- ואת כל־ערי המסכנות אשר היו לשלמה ואת ערי הרכב ואת ערי הפרשים ואת חשק שלמה אשר חשק לבנות בירושלם ובלבנון ובכל ארץ ממשלתו׃
- כל־העם הנותר מן־האמרי החתי הפרזי החוי והיבוסי אשר לא־מבני ישראל המה׃
- בניהם אשר נתרו אחריהם בארץ אשר לא־יכלו בני ישראל להחריםם ויעלם שלמה למס־עבד עד היום הזה׃
- ומבני ישראל לא־נתן שלמה עבד כי־הם אנשי המלחמה ועבדיו ושריו ושלשיו ושרי רכבו ופרשיו׃ ס
- אלה שרי הנצבים אשר על־המלאכה לשלמה חמשים וחמש מאות הרדים בעם העשים במלאכה׃
- אך בת־פרעה עלתה מעיר דוד אל־ביתה אשר בנה־לה אז בנה את־המלוא׃
- והעלה שלמה שלש פעמים בשנה עלות ושלמים על־המזבח אשר בנה ליהוה והקטיר אתו אשר לפני יהוה ושלם את־הבית׃
- ואני עשה המלך שלמה בעציון־גבר אשר את־אלות על־שפת ים־סוף בארץ אדום׃
- וישלח חירם באני את־עבדיו אנשי אניות ידעי הים עם עבדי שלמה׃
- ויבאו אופירה ויקחו משם זהב ארבע־מאות ועשרים ככר ויבאו אל־המלך שלמה׃ ף
| 1 Kings 9 Text (Latin)
- Factum est autem cum perfecisset Salomon ædificium domus Domini, et ædificium regis, et omne quod optaverat et voluerat facere,
- apparuit ei Dominus secundo, sicut apparuerat ei in Gabaon.
- Dixitque Dominus ad eum : Exaudivi orationem tuam et deprecationem tuam, quam deprecatus es coram me : sanctificavi domum hanc, quam ædificasti, ut ponerem nomen meum ibi in sempiternum, et erunt oculi mei et cor meum ibi cunctis diebus.
- Tu quoque si ambulaveris coram me, sicut ambulavit pater tuus, in simplicitate cordis, et in æquitate, et feceris omnia quæ præcepit tibi, et legitima mea et judicia mea servaveris,
- ponam thronum regni tui super Israël in sempiternum, sicut locutus sum David patri tuo, dicens : Non auferetur vir de genere tuo de solio Israël.
- Si autem aversione aversi fueritis vos et filii vestri, non sequentes me, nec custodientes mandata mea, et cæremonias meas, quas proposui vobis, sed abieritis et colueritis deos alienos, et adoraveritis eos :
- auferam Israël de superficie terræ, quam dedi eis : et templum quod sanctificavi nomini meo, projiciam a conspectu meo, eritque Israël in proverbium, et in fabulam cunctis populis.
- Et domus hæc erit in exemplum : omnis qui transierit per eam, stupebit, et sibilabit, et dicet : Quare fecit Dominus sic terræ huic, et domui huic ?
- Et respondebunt : Quia derelinquerunt Dominum Deum suum, qui eduxit patres eorum de terra Ægypti, et secuti sunt deos alienos, et adoraverunt eos, et coluerunt eos : idcirco induxit Dominus super eos omne malum hoc.
- Expletis autem annis viginti postquam ædificaverat Salomon duas domos, id est, domum Domini, et domum regis
- (Hiram rege Tyri præbente Salomoni ligna cedrina et abiegna, et aurum juxta omne quod opus habuerat), tunc dedit Salomon Hiram viginti oppida in terra Galilææ.
- Et egressus est Hiram de Tyro, ut videret oppida quæ dederat ei Salomon, et non placuerunt ei,
- et ait : Hæccine sunt civitates, quas dedisti mihi frater ? Et appellavit eas terram Chabul, usque in diem hanc.
- Misit quoque Hiram ad regem Salomonem centum viginti talenta auri.
- Hæc est summa expensarum, quam obtulit rex Salomon ad ædificandam domum Domini et domum suam, et Mello, et murum Jerusalem, et Heser, et Mageddo, et Gazer.
- Pharao rex Ægypti ascendit, et cepit Gazar, succenditque eam igni : et Chananæum, qui habitabat in civitate, interfecit, et dedit eam in dotem filiæ suæ uxori Salomonis.
- Ædificavit ergo Salomon Gazer, et Bethoron inferiorem,
- et Balaath, et Palmiram in terra solitudinis.
- Et omnes vicos qui ad se pertinebant et erant absque muro, munivit, et civitates curruum et civitates equitum, et quodcumque ei placuit ut ædificaret in Jerusalem, et in Libano, et in omni terra potestatis suæ.
- Universum populum, qui remanserat de Amorrhæis, et Hethæis, et Pherezæis, et Hevæis, et Jebusæis, qui non sunt de filiis Israël :
- horum filios, qui remanserant in terra, quos scilicet non potuerant filii Israël exterminare, fecit Salomon tributarios, usque in diem hanc.
- De filiis autem Israël non constituit Salomon servire quemquam, sed erant viri bellatores, et ministri ejus, et principes, et duces, et præfecti curruum et equorum.
- Erant autem principes super omnia opera Salomonis præpositi quingenti quinquaginta, qui habebant subjectum populum, et statutis operibus imperabant.
- Filia autem Pharaonis ascendit de civitate David in domum suam, quam ædificaverat ei Salomon : tunc ædificavit Mello.
- Offerebat quoque Salomon tribus vicibus per annos singulos holocausta, et pacificas victimas, super altare quod ædificaverat Domino, et adolebat thymiama coram Domino : perfectumque est templum.
- Classem quoque fecit rex Salomon in Asiongaber, quæ est juxta Ailath in littore maris Rubri, in terra Idumææ.
- Misitque Hiram in classe illa servos suos viros nauticos et gnaros maris, cum servis Salomonis.
- Qui cum venissent in Ophir, sumptum inde aurum quadringentorum viginti talentorum, detulerunt ad regem Salomonem.
| 1 Kings 9 Text (KJV)
- And it came to pass, when Solomon had finished the building of the house of the LORD, and the king's house, and all Solomon's desire which he was pleased to do,
- That the LORD appeared to Solomon the second time, as he had appeared unto him at Gibeon.
- And the LORD said unto him, I have heard thy prayer and thy supplication, that thou hast made before me: I have hallowed this house, which thou hast built, to put my name there for ever; and mine eyes and mine heart shall be there perpetually.
- And if thou wilt walk before me, as David thy father walked, in integrity of heart, and in uprightness, to do according to all that I have commanded thee, and wilt keep my statutes and my judgments:
- Then I will establish the throne of thy kingdom upon Israel for ever, as I promised to David thy father, saying, There shall not fail thee a man upon the throne of Israel.
- But if ye shall at all turn from following me, ye or your children, and will not keep my commandments and my statutes which I have set before you, but go and serve other gods, and worship them:
- Then will I cut off Israel out of the land which I have given them; and this house, which I have hallowed for my name, will I cast out of my sight; and Israel shall be a proverb and a byword among all people:
- And at this house, which is high, every one that passeth by it shall be astonished, and shall hiss; and they shall say, Why hath the LORD done thus unto this land, and to this house?
- And they shall answer, Because they forsook the LORD their God, who brought forth their fathers out of the land of Egypt, and have taken hold upon other gods, and have worshipped them, and served them: therefore hath the LORD brought upon them all this evil.
- And it came to pass at the end of twenty years, when Solomon had built the two houses, the house of the LORD, and the king's house,
- (Now Hiram the king of Tyre had furnished Solomon with cedar trees and fir trees, and with gold, according to all his desire,) that then king Solomon gave Hiram twenty cities in the land of Galilee.
- And Hiram came out from Tyre to see the cities which Solomon had given him; and they pleased him not.
- And he said, What cities are these which thou hast given me, my brother? And he called them the land of Cabul unto this day.
- And Hiram sent to the king sixscore talents of gold.
- And this is the reason of the levy which king Solomon raised; for to build the house of the LORD, and his own house, and Millo, and the wall of Jerusalem, and Hazor, and Megiddo, and Gezer.
- For Pharaoh king of Egypt had gone up, and taken Gezer, and burnt it with fire, and slain the Canaanites that dwelt in the city, and given it for a present unto his daughter, Solomon's wife.
- And Solomon built Gezer, and Beth-horon the nether,
- and Baalath, and Tadmor in the wilderness, in the land,
- And all the cities of store that Solomon had, and cities for his chariots, and cities for his horsemen, and that which Solomon desired to build in Jerusalem, and in Lebanon, and in all the land of his dominion.
- And all the people that were left of the Amorites, Hittites, Perizzites, Hivites, and Jebusites, which were not of the children of Israel,
- Their children that were left after them in the land, whom the children of Israel also were not able utterly to destroy, upon those did Solomon levy a tribute of bondservice unto this day.
- But of the children of Israel did Solomon make no bondmen: but they were men of war, and his servants, and his princes, and his captains, and rulers of his chariots, and his horsemen.
- These were the chief of the officers that were over Solomon's work, five hundred and fifty, which bare rule over the people that wrought in the work.
- But Pharaoh's daughter came up out of the city of David unto her house which Solomon had built for her: then did he build Millo.
- And three times in a year did Solomon offer burnt offerings and peace offerings upon the altar which he built unto the LORD, and he burnt incense upon the altar that was before the LORD. So he finished the house.
- And king Solomon made a navy of ships in Ezion-geber, which is beside Eloth, on the shore of the Red sea, in the land of Edom.
- And Hiram sent in the navy his servants, shipmen that had knowledge of the sea, with the servants of Solomon.
- And they came to Ophir, and fetched from thence gold, four hundred and twenty talents, and brought it to king Solomon.